FedEx Freight | Supreme Court Allows E-Logs to become law

Elds are no problem. ... just drive legal like a professional. I don't ever want to fill out a paper log again. No audio recording of the driver I have a problem with. ... we have them.... bosses can take offense to the opinions of disgruntled drivers.

And the ATA (made up of mainly large corporations) successfully stomps on the small business owners (owner operators/independent contractors) one more time...eventually the ATA will run every O/O,IC out of business, with the help of our Govt of course!!

And the ATA (made up of mainly large corporations) successfully stomps on the small business owners (owner operators/independent contractors) one more time...eventually the ATA will run every O/O,IC out of business, with the help of our Govt of course!!
Speaking as an o/o, I think ELD's are an important and long overdue update. The only reason the OOIDA has been stalling this is because so many independents cheat their way to success.

There are plenty of cost-effective ways for an independent to implement an ELD system. They've got it setup now so you can plug a dongle into your truck's OBD port and run an ELD as an app on your phone. Cheap entry fee, cheap monthly subscription.

ELD's are a benefit to honest runners, with the onus now on the carrier and shipper to do things LEGALLY.

Ever the cynic, RC is certain that if some enterprising person hasn't already done so, there will soon be gypos running down the road with two or three ELDs and the playing field will no longer be level.

Ever the cynic, RC is certain that if some enterprising person hasn't already done so, there will soon be gypos running down the road with two or three ELDs and the playing field will no longer be level.
It's not that simple. Everything is stored in a database, not under your mattress. Running multiple subscriptions would get expensive, as would keeping track of what you have and haven't used. It would be much easier to get caught, since all the DOT has to do is get access to your phone. And running a separate phone for each subscription would also get expensive.

And that doesn't take into account the GPS tracking that would affect ALL of your ELD's and flag you instantly the moment you logged back in the same truck from a completely different place with no explanation for the miles logged or distance covered.

And teams are supposed to be logged on at the same time for this reason, so both drivers duty cycles are tracked in unison. If one driver is not logged in, the DOT will fine you.

I'm sure a few enterprising guys will find a way to hack the system, but on the whole it'll be far more work than the old-fashioned two logbooks method, and most will have to run legal. Those who cheat will be easier to catch. And on the whole it'll still be a benefit to honest runners.

Speaking as an o/o, I think ELD's are an important and long overdue update. The only reason the OOIDA has been stalling this is because so many independents cheat their way to success.

There are plenty of cost-effective ways for an independent to implement an ELD system. They've got it setup now so you can plug a dongle into your truck's OBD port and run an ELD as an app on your phone. Cheap entry fee, cheap monthly subscription.

ELD's are a benefit to honest runners, with the onus now on the carrier and shipper to do things LEGALLY.
I'll respectfully disagree with your "cheat their way to success" statement...my opinion has more to do with the single truck/trailer O/O's and the HOS rules which are verified by the ELD's than the initial cost or operating expenses of the devices.

We all know that truck load is a cut throat business and under the current HOS rules, single truck/trailer O/O's get hammered by waiting or sitting at a dock for hours/days on end while O/O's that lease on with a company or company drivers with a said company can drop and hook and keep rolling.

With the ELD's being pushed by the ATA (big corporations) and mandated by the Govt, it creates an unlevel playing field by allowing the big companies to squeeze out the competition (O/O) who can't afford to move cheap freight like the big corporations can.

Thanks to the ATA pushing the mandate for ELD's, eventually single truck/trailer O/O's will be forced to make a choice...either lease on with a big corporation or sell their equipment and find another line of work...IMO.

I'll respectfully disagree with your "cheat their way to success" statement...my opinion has more to do with the single truck/trailer O/O's and the HOS rules which are verified by the ELD's than the initial cost or operating expenses of the devices.

We all know that truck load is a cut throat business and under the current HOS rules, single truck/trailer O/O's get hammered by waiting or sitting at a dock for hours/days on end while O/O's that lease on with a company or company drivers with a said company can drop and hook and keep rolling.

With the ELD's being pushed by the ATA (big corporations) and mandated by the Govt, it creates an unlevel playing field by allowing the big companies to squeeze out the competition (O/O) who can't afford to move cheap freight like the big corporations can.

Thanks to the ATA pushing the mandate for ELD's, eventually single truck/trailer O/O's will be forced to make a choice...either lease on with a big corporation or sell their equipment and find another line of work...IMO.
If you're moving cheap freight, you're part of the problem. That's the way I look at it, and I always have. That's why truckload is undergoing some pretty serious shifting right now.

Independents who are running in TL have another option; get out of TL. Buy a reefer or a flat deck and escape TL before it collapses under the weight of all that super cheap freight.

Again, you're competing on the wrong level if ELD's are going to hinder your ability to make a profit. The little guy shouldn't be exempt from the rules for the simple reason that every big carrier running o/o's would expect all their o/o's to become independents specifically to exploit such an exemption.

And, respectfully, I will NEVER endorse the exploitation of such a glaring loophole.

My opinion of how to cheat on on a eld is..... enter another driver number. .... as if you were running a team. ... what is the difference you are not legal anyhow.

If you're moving cheap freight, you're part of the problem. That's the way I look at it, and I always have. That's why truckload is undergoing some pretty serious shifting right now.

Independents who are running in TL have another option; get out of TL. Buy a reefer or a flat deck and escape TL before it collapses under the weight of all that super cheap freight.

Again, you're competing on the wrong level if ELD's are going to hinder your ability to make a profit. The little guy shouldn't be exempt from the rules for the simple reason that every big carrier running o/o's would expect all their o/o's to become independents specifically to exploit such an exemption.

And, respectfully, I will NEVER endorse the exploitation of such a glaring loophole.
That is the problem...the big corporations can move the freight a lot cheaper than a single O/O which in turn creates cheap freight regardless of who's pulling their trailers...and with the backing of the ATA pushing things through Congress in the name of "safety", they're basically running the little man out of business.

Again, not saying "the little guys" should be exempt from anything but without the ability to drop and hook (regardless of TL, reefer, flat deck, etc) the little guy will always be at a disadvantage...and ELD's will only exaggerate that disadvantage.