Yellow | surgery and time off

mud_cat

TB Lurker
Credits
i have a question. im due to have surgery in a few days. my dr submitted my disability forms to the company which has been sent to my local but they have not received my fmla paperwork. if i have my surgery can i be fired for being out or is my job protected? due to the holidays all of my papaerwork is screwed up and nothings being done in timely manor. need some second opinions

i have a question. im due to have surgery in a few days. my dr submitted my disability forms to the company which has been sent to my local but they have not received my fmla paperwork. if i have my surgery can i be fired for being out or is my job protected? due to the holidays all of my papaerwork is screwed up and nothings being done in timely manor. need some second opinions
If you already have a request for FMLA in and qualify by having 1200 hours the previous 12 months you will be fine.

Ya, but cover your ass. Copy everything. Time stamp if possible everything. I used to call in sick AND e-mail my boss I would be off sick. Asked why, I told them I had back up in case someone forgot the call or failed to mark the sheet. Your doctor has more control over your time off than anybody. Be nice to him. And don't be afraid to ask for more time off before coming back. Explain to him all the climbing you do & how hazard you job is. It helps him decide. von.

Ya, but cover your ass. Copy everything. Time stamp if possible everything. I used to call in sick AND e-mail my boss I would be off sick. Asked why, I told them I had back up in case someone forgot the call or failed to makr the sheet.
Good idea! And keep your loss of time documents that the company signed. There's virtually no chance they will take action if you are collecting loss of time benefits.

Ya, but cover your ass. Copy everything. Time stamp if possible everything. I used to call in sick AND e-mail my boss I would be off sick. Asked why, I told them I had back up in case someone forgot the call or failed to mark the sheet. Your doctor has more control over your time off than anybody. Be nice to him. And don't be afraid to ask for more time off before coming back. Explain to him all the climbing you do & how hazard you job is. It helps him decide. von.
according to our fmla dept they haven't received the forms. but the company did receive the disability form with the time off thats needed

according to our fmla dept they haven't received the forms. but the company did receive the disability form with the time off thats needed
Check with the Dr they fax them in to the fmla dept.

I was out for nine months recently. All disability. No fmla. I was out twice actually. All disability. No fmla was used by me.
You don't have to use fmla. It's disability. Save the fmla until after you come back if you need it. You don't have to use both at the same time.
Fmla should be used afterwards if you know problems with the surgery may crop up if you go to work and are off disability.

Last edited:
I'm out on FMLA now from surgery. I dealt directly with YRC Freight FMLA Department. 913-344-4939. As far as Short Term Disability, TeamCare at 1-800-teamcare. Get the form from them and get Doctor to fax to 847-518-9757. It's so much easier dealing with this yourself. I've been out since September. Anymore questions, just pm me.

Do what Chris616 told you....KK

Start a file. Phone #'s, addresses, dates you talk with someone, mail certified or proof of mailing. The more you document the better off you will be. From the doctor to the employer they have a file on you. Have a file on them. Ask for medical copies before you leave the building. Easier & cheaper to get before you leave than after. von.

KK
Not trying to start a fire.
But the first time I went out I was going to use both. Only expected to be out a few months. I was going to use both and found out just to use disability. Fmla was not required to go out on disability. It's covered by the union and you are paid disability by the Union for 26 weeks. Being I was out 9 months I had to get an extension which was unpaid. But the insurance only covered what I went out for on the extension. And it covered no family members.
By using fmla you are wasting it.
It should be used afterwards in case problems from your surgery are expected and you may need the days off th address the problems without consequences from yrc.
By use both concurrently the fmla is being wasted.
I don't want to step on toes. But I just went through the process. And I still have not used fmla.
But you can use both. It's up to the person going off on disability.
Whatever you feel best with.
Just passing on what I did.
I know I'm repeating. But I do want to help. Someone may need the fmla after their procedure and they are back to work.

Last edited:
I was out for nine months recently. All disability. No fmla. I was out twice actually. All disability. No fmla was used by me.
You don't have to use fmla. It's disability. Save the fmla until after you come back if you need it. You don't have to use both at the same time.
Fmla should be used afterwards if you know problems with the surgery may crop up if you go to work and are off disability.
I thought they automatically put you on FMLA. From what I heard, (again second hand, and I am at a regional) Our Hr will drag their feet when you request FMLA, but if you're injured, It goes right in and runs concurrently with your disability.

I thought they automatically put you on FMLA. From what I heard, (again second hand, and I am at a regional) Our Hr will drag their feet when you request FMLA, but if you're injured, It goes right in and runs concurrently with your disability.
They are both different.
Disability is for yourself.
Fmla is for you and or a family member.
You. Or I do not have to use them concurrently.
It wasn't necessary. Not with me anyways.
I had a major surgery.
I'm just putting down in words what I did.
Others may do it differently.
Talk with several stewards. Contact the hall.
Company would rather. It seems. Have you run them together.

I believe short term and fmla can run concurrently without drawing from your fmla time. You will be paid short term while off and starting fmla will just make sure you have it after the 26 weeks. FMLA days would be applied after PT days are exhausted should you have appointments or complications. Do it yourself though...if you are off you have more time than whoever you are asking to take care of it for you.