ODFL | Switcher's

Not sure what state you’re in, but here in PA there’s some technicality or law that requires employers to have to pay switchers/jockeys OT after 40 hours. Estes tried the exact same thing, without any explanation to the jockeys. Once word got around from another terminal. HR was brought in, all the jockeys that were on a jockey bid from the time the law was enacted, were back paid every minute of OT. Some of the guys were cut checks for a couple grand. Hope this helps.

Not sure what state you’re in, but here in PA there’s some technicality or law that requires employers to have to pay switchers/jockeys OT after 40 hours. Estes tried the exact same thing, without any explanation to the jockeys. Once word got around from another terminal. HR was brought in, all the jockeys that were on a jockey bid from the time the law was enacted, were back paid every minute of OT. Some of the guys were cut checks for a couple grand. Hope this helps.
1935 Labor Exemption does not state Switchers/Jockeys.Don't think there is no new law.Will be interesting how this move will turn out.I know they are not happy.

I believe there was a lawsuit somewhere down south Florida I think. If they don't touch freight, make the vehicle safe to operate or move Freight out on the road they have to be paid overtime, now that people are challenging this they are trying to sneak them in a few hours a week to touch freight.

The wording of the old OT exemption law stated something along the lines of any employee who is essential to the loading/unloading or delivering of freight is exempt from receiving overtime.
OD supposedly lost a lawsuit against a former switcher who argued that because he never worked the dock, never delivered any freight, and was only responsible for moving trailers around private property that he was entitled to overtime.
OD’s response to this was to make the switchers work the dock one day a week.
-to answer your question more directly this is what a switcher told me he was told as to why he has to work the dock now

There was a thread awhile back where some members here were excited over this lawsuit saying it was just the bump the company needed to start paying overtime. I told you all then OD is a huge corporation with a lot of weight to throw around and if we bent over for little stuff like that we’d go out of business.
I understand being excited because you saw this lawsuit as a step towards overtime but now there’s still no overtime and all the switchers and dock hands are pissed off on top of it all. Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut, things were better the way they were.

OD does not pay overtime. Twist their arm into paying it and they’ll twist yours back. This is the way things are here.
“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig”

Didn’t some of you just roast one of our new employees for not asking questions about his pay in his interview?
Well, you all knew there was no overtime when you got hired and if you didn’t you can refer back to that thread to see how you should treat yourselves.

Last edited:
The wording of the old OT exemption law stated something along the lines of any employee who is essential to the loading/unloading or delivering of freight is exempt from receiving overtime.
OD supposedly lost a lawsuit against a former switcher who argued that because he never worked the dock, never delivered any freight, and was only responsible for moving trailers around private property that he was entitled to overtime.
OD’s response to this was to make the switchers work the dock one day a week.
-to answer your question more directly this is what a switcher told me he was told as to why he has to work the dock now

There was a thread awhile back where some members here were excited over this lawsuit saying it was just the bump the company needed to start paying overtime. I told you all then OD is a huge corporation with a lot of weight to throw around and if we bent over for little stuff like that we’d go out of business.
I understand being excited because you saw this lawsuit as a step towards overtime but now there’s still no overtime and all the switchers and dock hands are pissed off on top of it all. Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut, things were better the way they were.

OD does not pay overtime. Twist their arm into paying it and they’ll twist yours back. This is the way things are here.
“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig”

Didn’t some of you just roast one of our new employees for not asking questions about his pay in his interview?
Well, you all knew there was no overtime when you got hired and if you didn’t you can refer back to that thread to see how you should treat yourselves.

Imagine if our founding fathers had this attitude towards England.