Syracuse,NY. 13'1"Semi hauling cattle smacked a 11'6"bridge killing some cows.

Seems like it happens ALL of the time. Signs signs and more signs and someone trys to squeeze their truck under a bridge 1-2 feet to low

I think they should have also busted that trucker for animal curtly.
Who knows where those cows were headed,however I am sure they would have been better off.
Then being crushed under that bridge.
Dry cargo is one thing but this guy was hauling living animals.
Gee I wonder if the animal rights wacko's will be all over this crash?

Seems like it happens ALL of the time. Signs signs and more signs and someone trys to squeeze their truck under a bridge 1-2 feet to low

exactly!!!!
i mean we arent talking the bridge was marked 13 ft or anything even close, that bridge was marked from all angles.
this guy was either on the phone or staring at a gps unit when he went under that bridge.
and yes he ABSOLUTELY should have animal cruelty charges placed against him. regardless of whether the cows were headed to the slaughter house or not, they surely dont beat them with clubs or crush them in order to put them down. im no animal rights nut or anything, but thats pretty rough

Officials say the driver was trying to following street directions given to him at the time of the crash and likely didn't see the height limit of the bridge.

Just another nitwit driver that needs to go back to their previous line of work.

All my years of driving I could always tell just by looking, if any of my units were going to clear anything in front.
Or behind looking in my west coast mirrors.

I just don't get how so many truckers are still stuffing themselves into low overpasses?
Even with GPS you can't tell if your box is going to make it under something?
Come on give me a break,I know the DMV always checks our eye sight when we get our drivers license.

I remember when I took my CDL driving test. As I passed under an overpass the instructor asked me "What was that bridge height". We see signs that's what we do. We see a thousand signs a day...

The bridge height signs I see:

DON'T BE CONCERNED.
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
PAY ATTENTION DRIVER!
NO WORRIES MATE, WE LOWERED THE ROAD!!

Maybe this is a sign of the times. You can buy a truck today that will shift itself, adjust the speed if you are following to close, warn you if you are drifting from your lane, and tell you when to turn-assuming you had sense enough to purchase truck routing software for your GPS. Some driver's are relying to heavily on these safety features to do the thinking for them. I realize GPS was not mentioned in this particular article, but it seems to be a factor in most of these seemingly daily incidents.

I can just picture a truck stop counter in the future where the boys are in shock and awe while another driver explains how he escaped certain disaster by reading a sign and making a turn.

I believe that GPS units are being used for shortest route today.....I was a Teamster carhauler for most of my adult life and checking EVERY underpass/bridge height was just part of the job..Also...Lot's of young un-experienced drivers today....Lots of them are an accident looking for a place to happen

from the 1st news link:
Police say the driver was using directions someone gave him – a route he thought was safe.

So then this dwiver didn't bother checking for Height Restrictions which are located in Restricted Roads under respective States in the front of a Trucker Atlas??
Guess he figured someone wouldn't lie, and soon enough it was time to cry.
Guess he couldn't comprehend CLEARLY OBVIOUS HEIGHT SIGNS?

Hope it was HIS truck/combo!!

God thing this guy didn't haul cars into Chicago....Used to be a Saab dealer in Lincolnwood that wasn't accessible with units on top....If you were full....Had to unload 1/2 mile from the dealer and walk back to your rig....There was an Atlas of all the low underpasses in that cess pool...Over 2000 in all

I will say NY should mark the bridge heights correctly. On I-278 a 13-6 goes under a 12-10 marked underpass. On route 63 they finally put up a sign saying actual height is 13-10 after all the skid marks from it being marked 13 feet or so. Why does NY do that with the markings?

I was told they measure the height of the bridge from the curb not the road bed...

Yup as a rule in upstate NY,away from the New York City area,bridges are a foot higher than the height recorded on the signs.
I have no clue why New York State does this?
I was a city driver for 45 years,and knew the bridges I could make and the ones there was no way under.
I never did go by the signs when I first started my city driving trucking career,I checked out the ones I was not sure of.
By creeping up,climbing out of my tractor standing on my fuel tank and eye balling them.
Course we had no GPS back in the day.
The ones that were iffy I stayed away from,and used another route.

A few years into my career I knew them all and could help out all of the newbies making their lives easier.