Sysco a foods and US foods dove tailing senority

Has any one heard about Sysco and US foods merging senority for drivers and warehouse

Billy, we aren't going to find that out any time soon, this thing isn't even going to go down till 3rd quarter.

We all have questions, you know well as I do that those questions aren't going to be answered till the last possible minute.

Management is not in the know right now, we sure aren't going to be, I think it will be a good deal for both sides, If USF dovetails in then so be it, I'm not going anywhere either way.

Welcome to the mighty TruckingBoards! I hope that you will get involved, we have alot of places to see and be seen ;) please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about anything. I am at your service Sir!

in our case. usf is non union and we are union. the only place usf drivers will be going is to the bottom of the seniority list.

yeah that,s the problem here we are union and so is usf . We stand to lose alot of Sysco drivers and warehouse employees if there is a dove tail .

Same here In MN. Both USF and Sysco are union. I'm sure Sysco will lose alot of drivers to. Sounds brutal to me.

im in buffalo, sysco only runs resident drivers out of here, with no warehouse. we have a driver seniority list that is twice as big as syscos, not to mention our 80 guys in the warehouse. you think all our drivers should have to endtail? that wouldnt be right either......

either way you look at it it sucks. a dovetail is the only fair way, as long as they are both union shops...if one's union and the other isnt, endtail the nonunions....

Same here In MN. Both USF and Sysco are union. I'm sure Sysco will lose alot of drivers to. Sounds brutal to me.

it will be brutal, even if the union does everything right to maintain the maximum amount of their members.....i have just over 2.5 years in, and am fully expecting to get an eventual severance package from effects bargaining. ...oh well, still better than bein nonunion, where they just tell u good luck one morning....

Yeah are members are worried their job ..But the union says its only fair to dove tail I don't agree .

You all are both union, what would be fair to you? Its not like the members at USF asked to be bought out, USF is non-union here, if they did dove tail in I would probably lose my shuttle job, some of the guys at USF around here have been around for a good long while.

You all are both union, what would be fair to you? Its not like the members at USF asked to be bought out, USF is non-union here, if they did dove tail in I would probably lose my shuttle job, some of the guys at USF around here have been around for a good long while.

i would want an end tail for non union shops, dovetail for teamsters only.....they are all "at will" employees anyway, whereas a teamster shop has to be negotiated with no matter what their intensions. every non union shop has had the opportunity to organize, so why give them seniority that they dont actually have? i pay for greivable seniority rights, they don't, so to the bottom you go, for any non union shops.....

i would want an end tail for non union shops, dovetail for teamsters only.....they are all "at will" employees anyway, whereas a teamster shop has to be negotiated with no matter what their intensions. every non union shop has had the opportunity to organize, so why give them seniority that they dont actually have? i pay for greivable seniority rights, they don't, so to the bottom you go, for any non union shops.....

The OP's problem is both shops are union, thats why I asked him what he thinks is fair. I don't disagree with you at all.

The OP's problem is both shops are union, thats why I asked him what he thinks is fair. I don't disagree with you at all.

there is no other fair way....this will probably suck as much as yellow and roadways merge, and thats IF the union does everything perfectly...think about it, how many guys will be kept? 25-35%? its only fair that the guys with the time get the jobs. ...

I'm told we are hiring alot of USF guys, I guess they are jumping ship so they can get in here and be assured of a job, makes sense to me being they are non-union and all.

I'm curious how they will handle it in a location where neither house is union, for instance Arkansas, both Sysco and USF are non-union, that will be interesting to see, because we all know in a non-union environment mgmt typically does whatever they feel like doing and if ya don't like it then there is the door!

well if i was a manager id do whatever i wanted too......non shops that overlap will probably come down to the bigger, better facility, and cherrypicking suck-ass drivers from both barns....

well if i was a manager id do whatever i wanted too......non shops that overlap will probably come down to the bigger, better facility, and cherrypicking suck-ass drivers from both barns....

There is a problem Bill, how does one determine the real quality suck ass? I mean the guys that are golden and wear the pin and are void of a gag reflex. You reckon mgrs of both barns would talk?

A buddy of mine I worked for a beer distributor in KC that merged with another about 5-6 years ago. Sort of the same situation, it was worded as a merger but the bottom line is that one company paid the other to make it happen. Both distributors were union, same local but all of the drivers at his shop were put underneath the drivers of the other once the deal closed. Once the routes were all combined and reworked some were let go for lack of work, most of the others quit shortly after because of the lost seniority and the way their pay was changed from piece pay to % of sales like the other company paid before the deal. Granted, the business agent with that local was formerly a driver with the other company so he pretty much green lighted whatever they wanted to do despite the protests, but that's how it went down there. US has a drop yard here in town (warehouse is 70 or so miles away), for what it's worth about a week ago we got a memo asking us not to talk to any of their employees about seniority or job security.
Given the union/nonunion situation with both companies and the fact that there's no master agreement I bet how they handle this varies significantly from one location to another. Given the volume of groceries involved I can't believe they're going to be handle it in either company's existing buildings alone. Some will close, but I bet a lot won't...maybe rework or tighten up current warehouses coverage areas?
That's assuming the FTC even allows the deal to close. I read somewhere online that there's a clause that allows for a one time lump sum payment to US if the deal doesn't or isn't allowed to close as planned. Assuming that's the case then the lawyers that drafted it feel that it's at least a possibility.