Sysco + Cell Phone Usage

mattinoh63

TB Lurker
Credits
Just got information from another website. Sysco has hired an outside company to video drivers and MA's using cell phones while driving. Apparently a large number of drivers and MA's were fired recently after being video taped with cell phone in hand. I know from looking through search engines there have been several serious accidents involving cell phones and they have cost Sysco alot of $$$$. We had to sign a form stating cell phone usage (even hands free) was prohibited and any violation would result in immediate termination. Just a heads up, don't want anyone to lose thier job over a phone call.

And yep, dispatch and transportation supervisors call me when they know I'm driving and then get pissed when I don't answer. Guess they better find a new way to get me to go help Slow Joe Smuckatelly or pick up that ohhhh sooooo urgent backhaul.

Hey Matt, we had to sign the same form, the only exception is if we get caught its a 90 day suspention without pay, a seatbelt violation is a 30 day suspention, back to the phone, MA drives their own car, I don't see how Sysco can say a word, they carry their own insurance, IDK.

The bosses call us while we are driving too, then they get mad and leave 7 voice mails or call 10 times in a row before we can pull over, when I call em back they ask why I didn't return the call ASAP, why didn't you just pull over, well I was on the highway, so why not pull over, the right of way is for emergency use only. I don't think their emergency is the one the state considers the right of way for. If I pulled over everytime an MA or supervisor or dispatcher called I would never get any thing done!

I'm sure it is all based on liability...can't really fault them, Sysco is self insured and of course if you have an accident, regardless of fault the lawyers pull phone records. I think I will just throw mine in my travel bag and use it when I want to, afterall Sysco doesn't pay for it or reimburse me in any way. Oooops, I guess I do get 20% of my Verizon bill for working at Sysco.

I'm sure it is all based on liability...can't really fault them, Sysco is self insured and of course if you have an accident, regardless of fault the lawyers pull phone records. I think I will just throw mine in my travel bag and use it when I want to, afterall Sysco doesn't pay for it or reimburse me in any way. Oooops, I guess I do get 20% of my Verizon bill for working at Sysco.
I get 25% from Sprint Matt, but its still my friggin phone, they can contact me on Xata from now on.

It seems like all company's are going to policy's like this which they all no we violate. My company has the same policy and dispatch calls you all the time. mattinoh63 I have a question for you about Sysco Columbus
i tried to send you a pm but it says I have to have 5 forum posts before I can use the pm feature. Do you still work in Columbus and is the job still open there? I hate to bother you I about it, I try not to bother anyone
but this seemed like a good way to get some info, you can try to pm me if you want or we can talk right here. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

I think they just hired a couple new guys in Columbus, however, I see them needing more in the near future. It really isn't that bad, I think we got a little spoiled when we were still Central Ohio. Overall I think the loads are improving and the routing has become a little better. We will have to see what happens when school starts up again.

And I agree, they can contact me via XATA if they really need me that urgently.

It makes sense Matt, we have to bump Xata everytime we arrive and depart, it will clearly show on the screen when we have a message, however, my boss cant send me a message that way, he would have to call dispatch and have them do it, I say that because I have never had a message from him, only from the supervisors in Norman, we are in a shuttle yard in Tulsa.

One of our drivers just got fired for using his cell phone. The camera caught him three times. It boggles my mind, how does a person let this happen, to be written up twice, probably suspended the second time, then pick up the phone again? A week before Christmas he's looking for a job.