Sysco Cleveland

ericgrz1

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello,

I finally accepted a driving position with Sysco Cleveland and will be starting next Monday. I will be starting out at 20.00 hr. What can I expect my first couple of months. I've read a lot of negative posts about sysco, but I the job I work now, I run from the time I start to the time I finish, I never stop to take lunch, pay 400.00 a month for benefits, and equipment is 9 to 14 years old. please give me some info. I would love to hear some constructive advice. thank-you

Well,
You're gonna run from the time you start to the time you finish.
Some guys never stop for lunch.
In KC our insurance is almost that high ( union houses are probably less)
Trucks are newer than you're used to at least.

Make sure whoever they send you with is training you. I've seen too many new guts thrown out on their own after a few weeks completely unable to do the job. A lot of drivers get a new hire sent with them and use them as more of a lumper instead if training them just so they can get done earlier.
If you've never done this type of work your first 6 months will be pretty rough, but it does get better.
Good luck

X2 Lazlo is right, I work 12 hrs a day most days, so I log off for lunch and keep delivering, nothing pisses me off more than forgetting about it and xata has me on lunch for 40 min, thats another 10 min I lost, and they will NOT pay! I always tell new ppl, this job is all about attitude, lately its been handing me alot of misery, I get over one injury and collect another, on and on. Eric, I'm sure you ain't in your late 40's, your probably in shape, just keep a good mental place and don't let the job make you miserable, stay healthy, don't drink, its hard to do this job with a hangover, but you will get used to it and it won't bother you anymore, thats a dangerous thing.

Best of all, welcome aboard, Cleveland will be better off for having you!

X2 Lazlo is right, I work 12 hrs a day most days, so I log off for lunch and keep delivering, nothing pisses me off more than forgetting about it and xata has me on lunch for 40 min, thats another 10 min I lost, and they will NOT pay! I always tell new ppl, this job is all about attitude, lately its been handing me alot of misery, I get over one injury and collect another, on and on. Eric, I'm sure you ain't in your late 40's, your probably in shape, just keep a good mental place and don't let the job make you miserable, stay healthy, don't drink, its hard to do this job with a hangover, but you will get used to it and it won't bother you anymore, thats a dangerous thing.

Best of all, welcome aboard, Cleveland will be better off for having you!

thank-you GT. I try and follow most of your posts, they come in handy when I was looking for a foodservice delivery position. Like I said I chose Sysco, and I will give it my best shot! As I said before, any advice is much appreciated.

Oh yeah,
If you happen upon a beer driver who loves to talk about pizza and GFS tell MikeJ we all said Hi!

thank-you GT. I try and follow most of your posts, they come in handy when I was looking for a foodservice delivery position. Like I said I chose Sysco, and I will give it my best shot! As I said before, any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks Eric, Sysco is a good job, don't doubt that, like anywhere else you will be left wanting more, seeing a better way, having your concerns ignored, like any big company. I'm just pissed, I should have jumped back on shuttle, I'll be lucky to make it to the next bid unless I can stay healthy physically. Looking back to my youth, I did all this to my own self, when I was at PFG I had customers tell me I had more energy than any driver they ever saw, I was early 40's back then. Man how times change, I can still hold my own, it just hurts more.

I also run circles around the younger guys I work with, some of the younger generation just doesn't have that hard work ethic. I like the fact you tell it as it is, but also know how to encourage those about to begin a new career! thanks a lot!!

I worked for sysco Cleveland I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but be ready to sit at home a lot especially when school.ain't in you have to.call every night to.see.if.you work.the next day and if your name isn't on the voicemail be ready for that phone to ring at 330 in the morn cuz another guy didn't show up

I worked for sysco Cleveland I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but be ready to sit at home a lot especially when school.ain't in you have to.call every night to.see.if.you work.the next day and if your name isn't on the voicemail be ready for that phone to ring at 330 in the morn cuz another guy didn't show up

Yep, set at home or work 16 hours!

You can work at the beer company I work for I'm sure were hiring drivers for somewhere. Actually I should work at Sysco I live 10 minutes for the warehouse near the airport.