Sysco Oregon, anyone?

wiggletrain

TB Lurker
Credits
Just got offered a job there, but it looks like most I see on here are MidWestern...

I'm leaving a heavy haul job I've held for 12 years for this one at Sysco because of the benefits difference. I have heard horror stories but I think I know what I'm getting into. I was raised by a grocery lumper (UG back then) and my x-husband is in foodservice delivery too. I think my biggest challenge will be getting used to the hours and the single screw tractors...

I hope! :)

Any input/advice?

Union Shop. Hourly pay. I've heard about the ABC's but didn't hear about them in this shop. Hours... work me until I get a reset from what I have been told. That part doesn't bother me, and I'm used to hard work. Just a little nerve-wracking starting a new job, ya know?

Union Shop. Hourly pay. I've heard about the ABC's but didn't hear about them in this shop. Hours... work me until I get a reset from what I have been told. That part doesn't bother me, and I'm used to hard work. Just a little nerve-wracking starting a new job, ya know?

Union is good, I wouldn't work here if not for the union, if your on delivery what you can expect is a huge learning curve, especially if you have never done foodservice, you will have to get to know the system, the product, it takes time, the main thing is not to get frustrated and quit, you said x-husband so I assume your female, it takes alot of strength and endurance to do this job and do it well, I figure if your leaving a job of 12 years for this hell, then you know what your doing, expect long hours until you get used to things, 3 to 6 months, then you will get fast and find that you can start at 0500 and knock 900 cases off and be back at the yard at 1400 and go to the house. Unless you work at Sysco Oklahoma then you got to go help other drivers if you get done early, especially on Friday :(

Welcome aboard, its a good job but a trying one most of the time, I wish you nothing but success!!!

GT

Thanks GT,

I've been hauling lumber (mill loads, doubles and yard deliveries, so hand manipulation of product has always been expected) for the last 12 years, so I'm fit and ready for it. The long hours I'm looking forward to, and used to being expected to work long and hard.

I'm gonna miss my flatbed, but couldn't pass up the chance for the benefits.

I do think I'm coming into it with my eyes wide open, but I'm sure there's always things that are unseen. I've read the threads about phones (I assume then, that sysco doesn't allow hands free use either?)

Looking forward to the learning curve, too, atleast it will keep me busy!

Thanks Stoney!

I'm a single mom, not by choice, but this change will be best for my kids' and my future, so I'm going to make the very best of it! I love heavy haul, but it just won't pay the mortgage and all that goes with it...

I know one thing I was wondering: Uniforms? Does Sysco have a uniform policy, that is, certain shirts/ work pants/ etc.?

hey wiggletrain, did they get into specifics... what is starting rate? top rate? how long does it take to get to top scale? uniforms will be provided. you should get 5 of everything. shirts pants, winter coat, a vest, and a spring jacket.

Starting at 85% of scale, scale within two years. Scale right now is 22-something, (if I remember right) and the contract was signed in October with raises in place in the next 5, so scale will be higher by the time I hit it. Pretty standard I think.

Been a long time since I was union. Looking forward to it. The problems at the company I work for now started after the union was voted out... I love my job, but the union preserved our bennies and pay. Those all went downhill when the union went out.

i deliver lcal runs for them.. no more then 60 miles a day. 60 to 70 hours is the norm. im sure the told you that. best of luck.

60 miles a day, and potentially 14 hr days. Yeah that's what's gonna be a killer... I'm good with the hours, wish it was more miles. Yep - sounds like a ton of throwin product. I'll rest up now while I can... :)

Its not always that hectic, you will have easy days and hard days, the main thing is to have the right attitude, groceries will hand you all the misery you can handle, or it can be rewarding, depends on how you look at your daily life I guess, just remember, when your asking yourself, "what the hell did I just get myself into", just hang in there and it will get better, we lose more ppl that way, instead of sticking it out they fold before they even get used to it.

You will do great, you definitly have the attitude, I'm so glad you all are union.

I bet your former co workers are kicking themselves for voting out the union now!!!!

Yeah. The bad part is those of us that stuck it out for years are the one's that wanted the union to stay. We gave it a good shot - gave the company time to live up to their promises, but the benefits kept getting more expensive and covering less, we lost 401k matching, and raises were non-existent. I know it's a bad economy, especially in the lumber industry, but companies still need to show that Ops people are important and appreciated. A small amount of that would have kept a lot of us there, instead they're losing a lot of experienced people for companies that have better packages. The union didn't seem like it was doing anything but keeping their hands in our pockets until the union was gone and then people saw things differently!

Hopefully it's not too many years before I catch a bid... But, I'm a mom of triplets plus two others; giving up isn't in my nature! I know all about how bad things can seem at one moment and so much better soon thereafter!

I'll enjoy my last days on the road at my 'easy' job hauling wood, and look forward to learning the new product and practices. It will be nice to be on the extra board and see something new every day! Not looking forward to the automatic trucks, so will enjoy gear-jammin a few more days, LOL!

Thanks for all the input - It seems you enjoy your job, grocerythrower, I appreciate hearing a bit from your POV.

Hey wiggletrain, I have a 2012 cascadia, fully automatic, I love that truck, mine went to the shop for a week and I had to drive a 10 speed for a couple of days with a jumpy clutch, I turned pallets over and my poor leg ached..LOL!!! I got spoiled quick by my sweet automatic, I don't care if I ever shift again!

I was the first one to cry about the automatics, but they have made great strides in the transmissions, mine is smooth as silk :)

Ha! The control freak in me likes the ability to shift on my own... I can't even imagine this winter in an automatic! We have a few automatics in my company, but not for the mill trucks like mine. I've driven a few, sounds like it's not like the 2012 Volvo's with the automated transmission, smooth I guess could be okay. :)

I was the first to tell everyone I didn't want a Moffett on my trailer until I found out how much easier it made things... Good to have an open mind. (lesson learned that time, lol!) The times I had them they had a good use, and made way less work for my back!

Three wheeled spider foklift, piggy backed on the trailer. Added 7k to the back axles of the trailer, but prevented us from hand loading/hand unloading. Front two wheels turned inwards to walk sideways if needed in smaller spaces.

Made the job easier, but wasn't something I wanted to see on my trailer 10 years ago. Learned to love 'em though. They have their uses!

Three wheeled spider foklift, piggy backed on the trailer. Added 7k to the back axles of the trailer, but prevented us from hand loading/hand unloading. Front two wheels turned inwards to walk sideways if needed in smaller spaces.

Made the job easier, but wasn't something I wanted to see on my trailer 10 years ago. Learned to love 'em though. They have their uses!

Oh ok, I have heard them called donkey's, we have them all over around here, right down the road from me is a place called Ryder Brick, they use them sometimes.

Yep, that's the machine. Block places use them for delivery. We use them over weight specs and for up to 50' material delivery. Get's scary at times. but a ton of fun!

7 grand to the rear, wow, that would really limit the amount of payload. I guess its needed at a customer location that don't have a tow motor.