Sysco Oxnard, CA

C-Rad

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys first time posting here. I applied to the Sysco here in my home town of Oxnard, CA. I had the phone interview Tuesday and was called back yesterday to come in Friday for the face to face interview and to be dressed for the possibility of doing the road test as well.

I've already read and researched quite a bit about the company and what the days consist of lumping around cases all day. I didn't notice when I first applied but turns out this position is for part time delivery driver. Does anyone have experience with doing part time for Sysco or know what to expect? Will it be a decent amount of hours? Curious because like everyone else I have rent and bills to pay still. Thanks for anyone's input!

That's a new one to me, most houses can't find enough help and run their people really hard.
You'd have to ask during the interview, but maybe they're only hiring part time because they're fully staffed because no one quits?
Might be the oddball location that's run well with no retention issues?

That's a new one to me, most houses can't find enough help and run their people really hard.
You'd have to ask during the interview, but maybe they're only hiring part time because they're fully staffed because no one quits?
Might be the oddball location that's run well with no retention issues?

Thanks for the response Lazlo. Had the interview with the HR lady and I'm assuming his title would be something like a transportation manager. Hard to read the HR lady, for about 10 of those behavioral questions. The TM asked me a couple and then got more into my experience, why I would be a good fit for Sysco, if I understood what it was gonna take to be apart of the team. Felt like I sold myself well with him

At the end he said himself or somebody from the department would get ahold of me for the drive test because they weren't doing any today.

Oh and about the part time. He said it was more of a status for drivers that are the lowest on the seniority list and for those slow times of year. But he said all of this year they haven't had a guy less than 4 days 40 hours yet. So that was reassuring. Top pay was 26.10 and 22.10 to start. The union also pays full benefits. Really hoping they give me a shot here. They are hiring a few guys and said they are the main hub and have about 5 other satellite sites.

4 days, 40hours, PAID INSURANCE, hourly pay...and I could live where the weather's nice 1/2 a continent away from my mother in law...
Sorry C-Rad, one of those openings is gone because I'm moving. Seriously, hope it works out for you, you're going to deal with the same issues that a lot of us do, bad loads/routing etc. but on the surface at least sounds like a pretty good gig for Sysco. Out here we can't get or keep help (if you have a license and can pee in a cup you're hired) but sounds like retention's better there. I'd follow up with a phone call early next week thanking them for the interview/asking about the road test. Most people don't want to work this hard, if they're on the fence for whatever reason they're going to go with someone who seems eager to do the work.
Heads up on the hiring process: they move at a snail's pace. Background checks and everything are done by corporate now and they don't seem to get in much of a hurry.
Welcome to the boards btw. Several Sysco and other foodservice drivers post here and none are afraid to tell you the good, bad, and the ugly about the job.

4 days, 40hours, PAID INSURANCE, hourly pay...and I could live where the weather's nice 1/2 a continent away from my mother in law...
Sorry C-Rad, one of those openings is gone because I'm moving. Seriously, hope it works out for you, you're going to deal with the same issues that a lot of us do, bad loads/routing etc. but on the surface at least sounds like a pretty good gig for Sysco. Out here we can't get or keep help (if you have a license and can pee in a cup you're hired) but sounds like retention's better there. I'd follow up with a phone call early next week thanking them for the interview/asking about the road test. Most people don't want to work this hard, if they're on the fence for whatever reason they're going to go with someone who seems eager to do the work.
Heads up on the hiring process: they move at a snail's pace. Background checks and everything are done by corporate now and they don't seem to get in much of a hurry.
Welcome to the boards btw. Several Sysco and other foodservice drivers post here and none are afraid to tell you the good, bad, and the ugly about the job.

Yeah I'm definitely ready to work. I had an okay gig with lots of physical unloading but for split from my ex and decided to move back home to Oxnard and had to settle working for a general contractor hauling his heavy equipment. Most of the time I'm doing labor work on the ground and less and less driving these days.

Would just like to get back to where I was working a driving job and unloading from drop to drop. The guy asked me why he should hire me without any food service experience so I had to really sell myself. The anticipation is gonna kill me through the weekend. This job would be so good for me being close to home and getting my foot in the door with a company that pays well and takes care of my future. I'm 31 now and need to fall into something that has stability.

Thanks for your help Lazlo its nice to know there's still people out there that will help out

Bad loads I got a sorry letter yesterday from the warehouse telling me they were sorry for putting a couple cases out of order in the trailer no joke. Never ever saw that before then all of a sudden taped to the trailer wall was a note, Were sorry stuff came off the line late and we loaded a few cases out of order (it was no big deal really) were sorry. The loaders even singed there name to the note!

Bad loads I got a sorry letter yesterday from the warehouse telling me they were sorry for putting a couple cases out of order in the trailer no joke. Never ever saw that before then all of a sudden taped to the trailer wall was a note, Were sorry stuff came off the line late and we loaded a few cases out of order (it was no big deal really) were sorry. The loaders even singed there name to the note!

That's pretty awesome. I've never encountered that at any company before. Sounds like you got a situation where you got to "pay it forward" :grin:

Well that's how we do things here on the other side, I'll find a way to pay it back to those fellas. I work in a drop yard so I've never actually seen the warehouse ever.

I just got hired by sysco, it took almost exactly one month from my interview to get my offer letter. Good luck and welcome!

They went pretty quickly from my initial application to phone interview to face to face interview. But of course they weren't doing road tests the same day. I currently have another job and used a sick day to go to the interview now they wanna drag it out and possibly have me miss another day.

It'll be worth it. Get your doubles and hazmat if you don't already have them. Also be ready to have employment verification from your past employers and a MVR from the dmv as well as your physical long form

It'll be worth it. Get your doubles and hazmat if you don't already have them. Also be ready to have employment verification from your past employers and a MVR from the dmv as well as your physical long form

Good looking out duckdiver! I got my doubles/triples already. Filled all the background check paperwork out too.

Mike j Sysco does not have enough paper to write sorry letters also the warehouse never makes a mistake. (Yeah right)

Here at Sysco's #1 competitor (not US Foods (the other company from Michigan starts with a G and ends with an S and there's an F in the middle), btw are you guys ever going to merge or did the government shut that down? It's getting close to what a year or so now that this has all been going on) any how our automated warehouse systems would never make a mistake either until they do or something breaks and then it's a big huge awful problem...

Yeah last Friday the warehouse guys, and I about fell over when I saw this, hand wrote me a sorry note apologizing for some things that were placed out of order, the loader even signed his name. I didn't know things like that happened in this industry.

This is the email I got from them this morning....

"Thank you for your recent submission to our Delivery Driver position.

We were impressed with your experience and qualifications, but there were others who more closely met our qualifications. We encourage you to review other open positions on our career site athttp://www.sysco.com. We wish you the best of success in your career search.

Thank you,
Sysco Corporation"

Here at Sysco's #1 competitor (not US Foods (the other company from Michigan starts with a G and ends with an S and there's an F in the middle), btw are you guys ever going to merge or did the government shut that down? It's getting close to what a year or so now that this has all been going on) any how our automated warehouse systems would never make a mistake either until they do or something breaks and then it's a big huge awful problem...

Yeah last Friday the warehouse guys, and I about fell over when I saw this, hand wrote me a sorry note apologizing for some things that were placed out of order, the loader even signed his name. I didn't know things like that happened in this industry.
Stand up guy, and sounds like they hold their people to a high standard. I'm happy when I don't have empty shrink wrap rolls and trash all over my trailer

This is the email I got from them this morning....

"Thank you for your recent submission to our Delivery Driver position.

We were impressed with your experience and qualifications, but there were others who more closely met our qualifications. We encourage you to review other open positions on our career site athttp://www.sysco.com. We wish you the best of success in your career search.

Thank you,
Sysco Corporation"
Move to KC. Housings cheaper, traffic's better, and if you can stumble through the door they'll hire you. Seriously, that's too bad (others might say blessing in disguise but sounded like you really wanted it), could be the market out there's tight enough that they pick and choose more than some others do. Once upon a time we had a waiting list here.
If you really want the job keep applying, persistence pays off. Most of the food service companies pay close to the same, at least the big ones do because they're competing for drivers. You might check some of the others that may be nearby. Maybe even figure out what Teamster local they are and call the hall, they may know of other good job openings.

Move to KC. Housings cheaper, traffic's better, and if you can stumble through the door they'll hire you. Seriously, that's too bad (others might say blessing in disguise but sounded like you really wanted it), could be the market out there's tight enough that they pick and choose more than some others do. Once upon a time we had a waiting list here.
If you really want the job keep applying, persistence pays off. Most of the food service companies pay close to the same, at least the big ones do because they're competing for drivers. You might check some of the others that may be nearby. Maybe even figure out what Teamster local they are and call the hall, they may know of other good job openings.

Thanks for that Lazlo. I was hoping for this job. Out here in Oxnard, CA there isn't much for work in this industry. Most out here is dirt hauling which I'm doing or produce. The other option I was going to go was get my Hazmat and go for one of the Ltl carriers. There just isn't much turnover out here.

That's a bummer! I applied to sysco last year and got turned down even though I had prior food service experience . I applied again this year and got in. Try us foods, pfg (performance food group), vista/Roma, jacmar, system services, core mark, those are all food distributors and pay similar to sysco