R&L | System Driver

LineHawl

Travelin' Dockworker
Credits
Hello,
I'm a Con-way linehaul driver and I am curious what its like to be a system driver for R+L..
How far are the runs usually? Can you choose to stay out instead of doing local runs? I heard from a buddy that hooking a set/hooking up isn't paid, is anything else not paid or paid? PTI paid? Are you basically mileage only? What is the starting rate for mileage in OH? Most importantly, do you have to work the dock? If not, do you just wait in the dispatch room for your bills? Are you paid for this or not? How strict are they on hiring and what do they look for? Also, do they do bids or if you hire as a system driver you remain a system driver? How do you get your nightly runs? Call in, or? As a system driver do you run both doubles and vans or one or the other?

I'm just trying to get the low down basically.

This company thru out all of thoughs crazy ideas of how to run a LTL company.
In 10 years I've never packed an overnight bag. All are linehaul runs are Lifetime bids. I have been told to turn around and go back to my terminal when my switch driver didn't show up, instead of going thru to the destination terminal and laying down and coming back the next day. As for linehaul pay it is another story not like Conway.
It is a different for each terminal and state. California just went hourly for linehaul.
The rest of us get 1 hour for hooking dropping and fueling. Then for every 50 miles 1 hour at your terminals rate and 5 year pay scale.
No pay for waiting.

In 10 years, I have had to go all the way thru because of irresponsible dispatch (forgetting to send the meet guy cause regular guy took a day off) and and they did it over and over (without consequences). Linehauls are opened, bid on, then cut, because of ...crazy ideas. And I've seen and heard enough conversations with central dispatch and management that its not over yet. And I've seen lifetime bids open and they never get bid again (placing who management wants on it). Set linehaul pay is right around .47 a mile (midwest) regardless of what they say the formula is.The only extra pay you get on linehaul is if you drop and hook in the middle of your regular linehaul position. I will say these things aren't like this in Wilmington but they do go on at other ones throughout the system. And yes there have been calls made....NO ONE CARES.
This isn't the same company it used to be. I have seen new guys start there new gig here and get jerked around a few times and windup settling in a set run that suits them pretty good and now they have no complaints. And they are happy they stuck it out. These are things I have seen in the past 5 yrs or so from 11+ years as a linehaul/city driver. I've seen it really really good, and really really bad, depending on where your at and who your TM is.

System Drivers are linehaul drivers in a sleeper truck that are not back every day. No pay for waiting. You get paid when the wheels are turning, just like linehaul. No dockwork. Length of runs depends on where you are. East coast has smaller Terminals closer together, so the potential for shorter runs is there. Larger Terminals like Wilmington, OH, Norwalk, OH, Lakeland, FL, Atlanta, GA, will have longer runs for the system drivers, based on not being able to turn a specific point with an out and back linehaul driver. Same generally applies with our teams. Most of your communication will be on the phone, some through the Qualcomm. I've been a linehaul driver for 18 years and I am the backup linehaul dispatcher, so I have a little understanding of how the operation works.

In 10 years I've never packed an overnight bag. All are linehaul runs are Lifetime bids. I have been told to turn around and go back to my terminal when my switch driver didn't show up, instead of going thru to the destination terminal and laying down and coming back the next day. As for linehaul pay it is another story not like Conway.
It is a different for each terminal and state. California just went hourly for linehaul.
The rest of us get 1 hour for hooking dropping and fueling. Then for every 50 miles 1 hour at your terminals rate and 5 year pay scale.
No pay for waiting.
are you still working for rl and what does that come out to per mile the CPM

System Drivers are linehaul drivers in a sleeper truck that are not back every day. No pay for waiting. You get paid when the wheels are turning, just like linehaul. No dockwork. Length of runs depends on where you are. East coast has smaller Terminals closer together, so the potential for shorter runs is there. Larger Terminals like Wilmington, OH, Norwalk, OH, Lakeland, FL, Atlanta, GA, will have longer runs for the system drivers, based on not being able to turn a specific point with an out and back linehaul driver. Same generally applies with our teams. Most of your communication will be on the phone, some through the Qualcomm. I've been a linehaul driver for 18 years and I am the backup linehaul dispatcher, so I have a little understanding of how the operation works.
what does that come out to for cent per mile CPM

No pay for waiting.
are you still working for rl