FedEx Freight | SYSTEM DRIVERS

bigdaddy300

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey just seeing of anyone heard anything about fedex adding system drivers allowing guys to stay out there was a rumor about this as their way of reducing purchase trailers wanted to see if anyone else heard this

I personally would love to see the extra board go back to running the system but it'll never happen again IMO, the change of operations back in the late 90's eliminated running of the system...we're a scheduled, regional carrier now, no need to layover within the region on an everyday basis.

Last edited:
Well they are Road trucks and need to be ready to go anywhere.... I do think strange for tractors in cali or Washington state but probably just easier to do entire fleet of road trucks and just be done with it...

This came up in a KC meeting. For what it's worth, our regional VP said that it was cheaper to get those stickers on all the trucks than to pay the fine associated with getting caught without it. We have em here too.

roog
They told us the same thing in our meeting to in a cci meeting.

Canada has limited open board. But from my experience running out west, system-wide open board (up here, at least) is a long way off and unlikely to ever happen.

The only FedEx Freight truck I see in 4 days of driving is a meet & switch from Vancouver. Usually pass him both ways on the Coquihalla. At least they're smart enough to use vans to go through the mountains.

I heard HUT stickers were popping up on CMH tractors...probably nothing behind that curtain though.
Yup. Got some on Road Tractors in Florida. No idea why.

IFTA changed the way a tractor must be registered last year. Each tractor must be registered in every state the company does business in, even if that tractor doesn't operate in that state. That's what I was told when I noticed my tractor registration had every province in Canada included in the line up.

IFTA changed the way a tractor must be registered last year. Each tractor must be registered in every state the company does business in, even if that tractor doesn't operate in that state. That's what I was told when I noticed my tractor registration had every province in Canada included in the line up.

That is just freaking crazy... A clear over reach of Federal regulation.

That is just freaking crazy... A clear over reach of Federal regulation.
Not really. The IRP was an absolute pain to manage the way it was, and if you're registering for the first time it was a nightmare because you were expected to provide how many miles you expected to travel in every place you anticipated traveling in.

With the new IRP rules, every IRP registered vehicle is allowed to operate in every member state or province and the taxable miles are totaled at renewal for payment.

It's not over reaching at all. They simplified it. A lot of owner/operators are happy about this because it means getting a new plate or a new job doesn’t equal a headache.

The overreach, IMHO is to REQUIRE it. Offering the option/method is one thing. Does this apply to city units as well? I think it must because we've got new city units that show every state on the registration as well as the legal gross for each State. Seem to me the Feds are attempting to blur the lines between states, eliminating any advantage any State can have... Not the way the founders intended, again, IHMO.

The overreach, IMHO is to REQUIRE it. Offering the option/method is one thing. Does this apply to city units as well? I think it must because we've got new city units that show every state on the registration as well as the legal gross for each State. Seem to me the Feds are attempting to blur the lines between states, eliminating any advantage any State can have... Not the way the founders intended, again, IHMO.
It shouldn't be required on locally-registered city units. It's an IRP mandate, so only vehicles registered in the IRP are affected. If your city units have IRP plates, then they qualify under IRP.

It takes no advantages from any state. The advantages remain, and the basic fundamentals that made the IRP a good idea weren't changed. Taxes are paid to each state based on the percentage of miles run in each state. You're ALLOWED anywhere, but you do not pay taxes to any state that unit doesn't travel in. All that changed was that any IRP registered plate can travel in any IRP member state without having to apply for a permit.

For example, my Ontario-plated pickup truck has a commercial plate, but not an IRP plate. It cannot operate as a commercial vehicle outside Ontario without first obtaining a permit.

Old IRP would have you registered only in the states in which the unit operated, and your cost was based upon how many miles you ran annually in each state. However, if you acquired a customer in a state which you weren't registered in, you would have to pay a fee to have your plate updated. Worse, if you were registering for the first time and had no idea how many miles you expected to run, you'd have to guess and hope you were right.

The new IRP eliminated that by authorizing any IRP registered vehicle in any member jurisdiction to operate in all 58 jurisdictions. But that doesn't mean there aren't incentives. The cost of the base plate is still up to the home jurisdiction of the plate.

I should also remind that the IRP stands for International Registration Plan. It's got nothing to do with the US federal government versus the states or the founders. It's an agreement between the lower 48 states and 10 provinces. It's purpose is to ensure that every government involved gets its share of road tax from interstate commerce without trucks and buses requiring 58 license plates.

If it was federal overreach, you'd see the elimination of state/provincial plates altogether in favor of a national (or international) plate.

For the record, I HATE how much the federal government sticks thier nose where it doesn't belong. But one of their actual duties is to regulate interstate commerce, so that might for once be where the belong.