SAIA | System hometime

Jtrucking06

TB Lurker
Credits
i got a cushy gig right now but have been offered a spot as a system driver to start.

I can go home through the week but I’m an hour away and work 14s so I don’t go much maybe 1x week. But I’m off entire weekend. 60hours. I sit 6 hours waiting for loads on the clock and drive 8. I make low 80s

My question is starting on system can I have full weekends off and can I make 80 to start?

If you are system, don’t ever plan on having any particular day or days (including weekends) off. You are basically on call 24-7 and the only time you couldn’t run would be: you are on vacation or out of hours. System is not a set run or schedule.

i got a cushy gig right now but have been offered a spot as a system driver to start.
Never leave a job for the wrong reason. Being happy is much more important than money. If your happy just stay where your at. You appear to be happy where your at so IMO it would be a mistake to leave. If your not happy then that’s a different story but only you know that.

Last edited:
Benefits. My family health insurance is good coverage but crazy expensive.

Staying in hotel is better than the truck.
Cheaper insurance would cause me to net more...

I don’t like truck driving period but i do it for the money.

I just don’t wanna go from what they are telling me and then get screwed. He told me
Home every weekend and possibly a lay down run coming home every other day.

Last edited:
Benefits. My family health insurance is good coverage but crazy expensive.

Staying in hotel is better than the truck.
Cheaper insurance would cause me to net more...

I don’t like truck driving period but i do it for the money.

I just don’t wanna go from what they are telling me and then get screwed. He told me
Home everyweek and possibly a lay down run coming home every other day.
At the big terminals like Garland and Dallas that’s true but I can’t speak for the smaller ones. It really depends on your terminal as far as home time. The insurance on the other hand is unbelievable. UnitedHealthcares best plan at reasonable premiums. $12. weekly for single... $37.50 weekly for family... $25 office visits. But 80K a year can’t be guaranteed.

Terminal is Evansville. I guess adding 2 system guys. He says 2500-3000 miles a week.
Then it’s probably true but as with anything in life there is risk. Only you know if it’s worth taking. If your having doubts then don’t move. For me personally I have to be led ... it’s kind of a spiritual thing for me. I just know and I can’t explain why. Everyone is different and that’s all I can say.

It’s not that I have doubts but trucking companies tell you some times what you want to hear.

The camera thing. I have one but they don’t look at it or say anything. How bad is it. I read threads on this site and others as well and a lot of guys say go else where but I don’t guess they are current Saia drivers.

It’s not that I have doubts but trucking companies tell you some times what you want to hear.

The camera thing. I have one but they don’t look at it or say anything. How bad is it. I read threads on this site and others as well and a lot of guys say go else where but I don’t guess they are current Saia drivers.
I will retire sometime this year and I really have no reason to lie. I work here and we have had some issues with the cameras but the company is relaxing the policies and moving forward in a positive direction. I’m telling you now the cameras are not that bad. I’m rarely called in for coaching but then maybe that’s because I follow the rules. I have made a few mistakes but I’ve learned from them. I’ve been pissed off but that’s just part of being a truck driver and being in the LTL business. It is not that bad but just do more research and talk with some drivers in your area. I’m sure you will make the right decision.

As far as them telling you you'll only occasionally lay down away from home, I wouldn' believe that. As a system driver you'e at the mercy of central dispatch and if they need you to be out all week, then you'l be out all week. Your TM as no control over where you go or how long you'l be out. Weekends off aren't promised at large terminals, as you might start on a day other than monday.

If you take the postion, take it expecting to be out for 5 days, as that's more than likely what will happen, especially this time of the year as freight levels increase. In the fall and winter you'l be home more often, probably more than you want to be.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that RAT is probably a nice guy in person, but he is a well known Saia apologist and they can do no wrong in his eyes until he' is the one caught up in their draconian rules.

So when he says "the cameras aren' that bad" take it with a grain of salt, and take into consideration that guys with 15-20 years of seniority and safe driving are leaving in droves because of the cameras. In this business you don' throw away that kind of seniority for no good reason.

Also keep in mind that RAT is probably a nice guy in person, but he is a well known Saia apologist and they can do no wrong in his eyes until he' is the one caught up in their draconian rules.

So when he says "the cameras aren' that bad" take it with a grain of salt, and take into consideration that guys with 15-20 years of seniority and safe driving are leaving in droves because of the cameras. In this business you don' throw away that kind of seniority for no good reason.
Some guys are just stupid primadonnas that think rules don’t apply to them. Stupid is as stupid does. Nobody is twisting his arm to come here. We offer and it’s his right to say no thanks. I don’t give a ::shit:: either way.

If you get a system gig on evansville, you'll likely start your week getting sent to indy (maybe cincy or cgo) and running around the northeast for a few days or for a whole week. They still got trailer-droppin contractors running up there that they want to replace.

I can go home through the week but I’m an hour away and work 14s so I don’t go much maybe 1x week. But I’m off entire weekend. 60hours. I sit 6 hours waiting for loads on the clock and drive 8. I make low 80s

My question is starting on system can I have full weekends off and can I make 80 to start?
Stay at your current job....Saia cannot guarantee the days you will be off 5 on/ 2 off most weeks, slow times it might be 4 on /3 off....Pay anywhere from the high 60's to low 90's... You do not work for your terminal manager as a system driver.

Keep this in mind too...your TM is really not your boss. It’s central dispatch. They call the shots. If you run system, bring enough clothes to work on day 1 with the plan to be out 5 days. I ran system for a while and it wasn’t unusual to be out 5 days and thousands of miles from home. They will try to get you back, but not guaranteed. Heck, I spent 34 hours in a hotel 2300 miles from home because I ran out of hours. I was paid well, but $$$$$ isn’t everything. Missed my children’s Christmas concert. I’ll never get that back. All because central didn’t pay attention