R&L | Taking over their freight

I am seeing more and more teams on the yard,plus more of our guys are running to Florida lately. The outside carriers are still around,but a few terminals HAVE hired some drivers lately. We need drivers and dock workers to keep up with all the freight coming in,I think that it's time to come off some of that money and hire some people. If they don't then we won't be able to hold on to all the customers we have picked up.

We hired 4 guys 2 weeks ago and we still can't keep up. Freight on dock not fitting into all the trucks and missed pick-ups are a regular occurrance now. Gonna start losing some good customers who have been with us for years, I hope we solve this problem soon!!!!!!

We are busy also!!! What I don't understand is why they continue to bring us in late when the freight is there and ready to go early...Its not saving any labor costs!!! ONLY MAKING THE DAY LONGER +POSSIBLY MISSING PICK-UPS!!!

Was he fired or Resigned? One story on here says that he had a compensation package,they don't give them if you are fired. Whatever the case he has started out here pretty good. Our freight is up while other companies are laying off or shutting down. Yes he brought people over with him,but they wanted off the sinking ship too.

He was asked to resign by YRC. He was allowed to save face and agreed to a compensation package. He also entered into a seperate agreement with YRC. He was a long time employee with YRC, when they made him president of USF Holland.

yeah,
probably not a good idea to get sauced before your speech at an annual meeting with yellow corp in the audience and profess your undying love for a female sales rep.

Good luck R&L boys,I know you've got great salesman from YRC in Buffalo.We called Jimmy P "THE PITBULL",he's the best salesman I've ever had the pleasure to work with.Rest up boys,he'll keep you busy.

Somebody's doing something right since here in Philly were busier then ever. Just the out-bound shift alone is up 25-30%. Could also be that we grabbed alot of the USF Holland frt from local companies. When are they closing the doors? This Friday the 3rd?

Customers are going for us for the EXCELLENT SERVIVE...We won't haul it, and not make money

When shippers can find a trucking company to haul their stuff basically free once in a while, they will....R&L does not play this game...

Fed Ex Freight was in a place taking some of our freight,at a regular customer, undercuttinig us the other day, they are the ones cutting rates big time...

They were taking 6 oversize skids, that weighed 9000 lbs of large type bob cat type equipment, that took up nearly half of a 48 ft trailer. The freight was going from tennesse to New York, they were hauling it for $300.00.

Of course we didn't try to beat this riduculous price, if Fed ex wants to take a loss, we will let them do it all day long...:clap:

This shipment may not have been a loss, maybe in that lane they run a lot of empties. That would also be a contract load over 20'. Rates like this are priced out for that day and whats in that lane, its doesnt mean they will price it this way every day.

What's the deal with FedEx lately? From what their numbers look like from last quarter they are down almost 300 million. My brother has been a linehaul driver for them in Jersey for almost 11 yrs now but of course can never get a honest answer from him about what does on over there. Everytime I talk to him he tells me R&L is the little guy and Fedex is untouchable.......doesn't look that way now. R&L as a whole is supposed to be up 12-15%, my shift alone if you look at what the normal bill count use to be compaired to what it is now we are up 25-30%. It's hard to keep up with all of the new work coming in.

What's the deal with FedEx lately? From what their numbers look like from last quarter they are down almost 300 million. My brother has been a linehaul driver for them in Jersey for almost 11 yrs now but of course can never get a honest answer from him about what does on over there. Everytime I talk to him he tells me R&L is the little guy and Fedex is untouchable.......doesn't look that way now. R&L as a whole is supposed to be up 12-15%, my shift alone if you look at what the normal bill count use to be compaired to what it is now we are up 25-30%. It's hard to keep up with all of the new work coming in.

i agree........:smilie_132:

Thats your fault driver!

Wow, your really posting a great message there aren't ya? Seems like you really like to make people angry-since I am sure you aware that certain other company drivers like to read your posts-I am sure that YRC and Holland can both hold there own, I wouldn't count either one of them out yet. Things need to get settled with the merging-I am sure we can all AGREE that we don't wan't anyone to lose their jobs-nor do we want to sound elated or relish in the fact you are gaining others freight at another companies expense-don't be offended when others leave you their thoughts on your little pep talk!
I work for fdf and sure I read other post to, but this is their site and if you wish to come on their site and get pissed off by their comments thats your own stupid fault.

Your busier then ever in a pricing market? If you know anything about LTL, sales, and market pricing, then you should know why. Not trying to start anything but some of your guy's insinuations are plain laughable. Market capacity is at a all time high and shippers take advantage of it, exactly as LTL Carriers took advantage of low capacity in the market 3 years ago. Heavily discounting freight at this time is the game and those willing to do it are staying steady and even gaining market share, those not are either big enough and strong enough as corporations, that they can and will wait out the pricing war by smaller Carriers simply by trimming fat to get by in the high capacity market. YRC is downsizing and dumping un-profitable accounts left and right now making a last ditch attempt of becoming a Carrier of profit. R&L is a fine smaller LTL Carrier I'm sure but if you really want to think they are busy because of Service then you have no idea of how the LTL market works in a market of huge LTL excess capacity.
Don't get mad guys, this is just how the LTL market has always worked since deregulation. These are just facts not insinuations.

it really amazes me how people can sound so smart but they never use there smarts to go to the top. so if what your saying is true then why aren't you ceo of fdx???????
no harm intended

Oh really? I recommend you go on R&L's website and look at the properties that the Roberts own under the links section. Many other carriers (including the other big boys) lease terminals owned by R&L.

Just about every carrier owns and leases property's. Small and large alike, it's a great investment to own property. R&L is no different then any other trucking company out there in that respect.
I am sure that not every terminal they occupy is owned by them either, but could be leased from another company or owned by a hidden third party connected to the R&L family.