SAIA | Taking that leap.....

nrpick

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello fellas,

Recently interview at the Dallas hub for linehaul. Been with the same food co throwing groceries for 7 years and I think its now or never if im gonna get out. Any helpful advice on this decision?

Hardest part for me decision wise is the starting pay and just plain starting over.

Thanks in advance!

I am in the same boat, I have been throwing groceries for over 18 years. My body is finally starting to break down, bad back, shoulder etc. It is a hard decision to make, I have over 6 weeks between vacation and sick and personal days. I am going to try and ride it out for a year or two, and hope a shuttle run or non-lifting warehouse job open up. It would mean a big pay cut coming off the routes, but I hate to give up the 15+ years I have invested. Now is the time to leave if you are not happy, do not wait like me, until you have to much time invested. I had a chance to leave food service around 10 years ago and kick myself for staying, the work load is much harder now than when I started.

I have always known that throwing groceries wasn't long term but funny how fast time flys by. I know it's never gonna be easy to change. I just want to make the right move the first time and not jump around.

I have always known that throwing groceries wasn't long term but funny how fast time flys by. I know it's never gonna be easy to change. I just want to make the right move the first time and not jump around.

Yep, change can be scary, that is why I stayed when I had the chance years ago.

$80,000

That's M-F with 3 weeks of vacation

Are you having trouble physically doing your job? Because remember you are on the bottom subject to layoffs on a new job. Especially freight is so up and down. If it were me I'd think long and hard
starting over. You can forget M-F starting a new job. If you are working days now it probably will be nights on the new LTL job. I don't work for Saia but have friends that do and they are pretty happy for the most part. Do you have a retirement and 401 now? Do you have a wife and family and does your wife work? You know better than anyone else if you are that unhappy at your job no amount of pay is enough.

Good luck on your decision I hope I helped from one driver to another...

Are you having trouble physically doing your job? Because remember you are on the bottom subject to layoffs on a new job. Especially freight is so up and down. If it were me I'd think long and hard
starting over. You can forget M-F starting a new job. If you are working days now it probably will be nights on the new LTL job. I don't work for Saia but have friends that do and they are pretty happy for the most part. Do you have a retirement and 401 now? Do you have a wife and family and does your wife work? You know better than anyone else if you are that unhappy at your job no amount of pay is enough.

Good luck on your decision I hope I helped from one driver to another...

Thanks for the reply Skeeter.

Im starting to feel the wear on me finally after 10+ years total of humping groceries. The fear is staying in this business and being forced to leave because of the wear and tear. The money is only good when you can perform at a top level. I work 5 nights a week now and barely see my family as it is so switching to freight or something similar that keeps me out 5 days really wont be a big deal.

My main concern is longevity. I don't mind starting over as long as I can see myself working somewhere well into my "golden years" while making decent money.

Thanks for the reply Skeeter.

Im starting to feel the wear on me finally after 10+ years total of humping groceries. The fear is staying in this business and being forced to leave because of the wear and tear. The money is only good when you can perform at a top level. I work 5 nights a week now and barely see my family as it is so switching to freight or something similar that keeps me out 5 days really wont be a big deal.

My main concern is longevity. I don't mind starting over as long as I can see myself working somewhere well into my "golden years" while making decent money.

I totally agree. I have a friend out west that worked for Sysco's food, and his shoulders and back was torn up...

As a beginning l/h driver you will be at the bottom looking up. I wouldn't bank on a specific run. Probably be a systems driver. Ask your interviewer if you will be systems or not. Systems drivers can and do stay out on the road a week or more. Sunshine will be blown up your butt and you will be told thy you'll be home weekends... Maybe yes maybe no depending on volumes, vacations, etc...keep mind that you are no more than a number. Management, contrary to what they say, doesn't want to hear gripes, suggestions, etc...your are a driver paid to drive not think. Pay is and bennies are good, but not without sacrifice.

After my stint in the soft drink, I understand your position. The money is only good if you can hump the cases but the cases are getting heavier and heavier. At Saia Linehaul, there is no comparison. Changing to Saia means that you would probably go in as a system driver unless you are lucky enough to walk into a available bid situation. If you are in the system, you may be gone for the whole week and maybe not. You would probably work at night or you may run during the day or a combination of day and night, it just depends on the needs of Central Dispatch. Then there is the 18 month to full pay schedule but starting pay is not bad. Check the new hire vacation schedule. It takes 8 years to reach 3 weeks but the 5 personal days per year help make up for some of the lost time. We have fidelity as our 401-k an our insurance is decent. Saia pays every Wednesday and the company looks to be financially strong. Whether you are young and can see that grocery humping is not long term or older and want out, Saia would not be a bad place to go. I've been there for well over a decade and hope to make my last six or so years to retirement there.

Like Big Buck posted. You are a number. Show up when you are supposed to, do what you are supposed to, and do it safely.

After my stint in the soft drink, I understand your position. The money is only good if you can hump the cases but the cases are getting heavier and heavier. At Saia Linehaul, there is no comparison. Changing to Saia means that you would probably go in as a system driver unless you are lucky enough to walk into a available bid situation. If you are in the system, you may be gone for the whole week and maybe not. You would probably work at night or you may run during the day or a combination of day and night, it just depends on the needs of Central Dispatch. Then there is the 18 month to full pay schedule but starting pay is not bad. Check the new hire vacation schedule. It takes 8 years to reach 3 weeks but the 5 personal days per year help make up for some of the lost time. We have fidelity as our 401-k an our insurance is decent. Saia pays every Wednesday and the company looks to be financially strong. Whether you are young and can see that grocery humping is not long term or older and want out, Saia would not be a bad place to go. I've been there for well over a decade and hope to make my last six or so years to retirement there.

Like Big Buck posted. You are a number. Show up when you are supposed to, do what you are supposed to, and do it safely.

Thanks for the reply.

My biggest concerns with freight is of course the slow times and not knowing how long til a bid comes open. When I went in for the interview I also had a buddy of mine there applying as well. We have ran teams before at my current job and they did say they had 3 open team bids. A couple where just under 5800 miles. Theres a possibility we may go that route but not sure just yet.

Whats yalls opinion on being hired in solo vs team?

Thanks again for any input.

If it was me, I wouldn't do the team thing. Spending that much time with the same person just isn't healthy. I like to do things my way and certainly am capable of doin them myself. I would go solo but really it's personal preference

After some deep thought Im going solo for sure. Nervous about dealing with the different Dispatchers. Trying to make as much as I can so what can I do to make sure they know that? lol

Will I have to beg for every mile? lol

the last month I was in the system I was making 1900 to 2000 a week, and I was trying not to work so much. lol they will run you till you run out of hrs

the last month I was in the system I was making 1900 to 2000 a week, and I was trying not to work so much. lol they will run you till you run out of hrs

God I hope you're right. I'm ready to get this party started, lol.

Hazmat approval letter came in today. Gonna try and get my paper license from DPS tomorrow.