XPO | tales from the greener side of the fence

huey29

TB Lurker
Credits
howdy drivers,
well as of oct i had quit conway ,and tried my skills OTR i have not been OTR in almost 8 years things have changed alot out there in that short time.price of fuel,food,and necessities are alot higher.
well after about 6 weeks i finally found a local job with pay comparable to conway the work is alot easier the managament is more laid back. things are just really better since i left i conway. i must say i do not miss all the BS and from what i have heard from guys i still talk to its gotten worse and dont look like it goin to get better. my advice to those who are unhappy.get out the money isnt worth it. you dont owe them anything and they dont owe you anything.

howdy drivers,
well as of oct i had quit conway ,and tried my skills OTR i have not been OTR in almost 8 years things have changed alot out there in that short time.price of fuel,food,and necessities are alot higher.
well after about 6 weeks i finally found a local job with pay comparable to conway the work is alot easier the managament is more laid back. things are just really better since i left i conway. i must say i do not miss all the BS and from what i have heard from guys i still talk to its gotten worse and dont look like it goin to get better. my advice to those who are unhappy.get out the money isnt worth it. you dont owe them anything and they dont owe you anything.
Did you work at the Effingham when they closed it? They did close that terminal didn't they? Did everybody get a severance package if they did not want to move? Or did you quit before that?
If you did quit before the closure, then that was a good move for you.

howdy drivers,
Hello huey thanks for dropping in and seeing us .. are you now employeed at fedex's super terminal in Eff?

I'm sure Huey's not bitter at all, seeing as how he quit before they started doling out the severance packages.

I mean, really....why would he be bitter about missing out on 8 weeks of salary by what, 6 weeks?

After all, Huey's been SO positive and upbeat on here in the past during his tenure with Con-Way, we'd certainly have no reason to suspect he's just here to stir up trouble.

howdy drivers,

A happy worker, is a productive worker....I am sure your new company is as thrilled to have you with them, as your old one is, that you are not....

Good for you guy! You and everyone else (who's honest) knows conway has been going downhill for years. I left during the so-called "good years" because I recognized the bad days were coming. I am glad you made the move. Being treated well without being an (;) kisser is much better than putting up with that crap.

"If your scared, say your scared"

Most conway drivers try and act like it's ok but deep down they know they've been SCREWED!!!!

Good for you guy! You and everyone else (who's honest) knows conway has been going downhill for years. I left during the so-called "good years" because I recognized the bad days were coming. I am glad you made the move. Being treated well without being an (;) kisser is much better than putting up with that crap.

Most conway drivers try and act like it's ok but deep down they know they've been SCREWED!!!!
I will agree that Con-way is not what it used to be 15 or 20 years ago. But I will say they pay you pretty damn good for the type of work we do. We drive a truck or fork lift or hand-truck, yet we make more money than most teachers, college professors, firemen, and police officers. That's crazy!! And a lot of us don't have a college education. Hell, some probably never made it through high school. Everyone better be a little scared with the way things are today. And everyone's been screwed at least once a week or month. If you say you haven't your a fool or just ignorant.

I will agree that Con-way is not what it used to be 15 or 20 years ago. But I will say they pay you pretty damn good for the type of work we do. We drive a truck or fork lift or hand-truck, yet we make more money than most teachers, college professors, firemen, and police officers. That's crazy!! And a lot of us don't have a college education. Hell, some probably never made it through high school. Everyone better be a little scared with the way things are today. And everyone's been screwed at least once a week or month. If you say you haven't your a fool or just ignorant.

How many hours do you have to work in order to make that non college educated money? Think about it. What kind of life does anyone have even the 10+ year drivers? NONE! Those days are long gong and they ain't coming back. Wasn't that a bruce springstein song? YES!

Oh ya, just to confirm your ignorance. Now I don't think they work as hard as you do except the fireman but look at the benefits. If you worked at Conway long enough you would remember what good benefits are. If not, your brainwashed by the machine and I feel sorry for you. Have a great day!

PS.

Your probably getting screwed daily not monthly, it's conway remember, I sure do and I was supposed to be one of the top guys. PLEASE!

"Median annual earnings of all postsecondary teachers in May 2004 were $51,800. The middle 50 percent earned between $36,590 and $72,490. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $25,460, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $99,980."

"Earnings for college faculty vary according to rank and type of institution, geographic area, and field. According to a 2004-05 survey by the American Association of University Professors, salaries for full-time faculty averaged $68,505. By rank, the average was $91,548 for professors, $65,113 for associate professors, $54,571 for assistant professors, $39,899 for instructors, and $45,647 for lecturers. Faculty in 4-year institutions earn higher salaries, on average, than do those in 2-year schools. In 2004-05, faculty salaries averaged $79,342 in private independent institutions, $66,851 in public institutions, and $61,103 in religiously affiliated private colleges and universities. In fields with high-paying nonacademic alternatives--medicine, law, engineering, and business, among others--earnings exceed these averages. In others fields--such as the humanities and education--they are lower."

FIREFIGHTER JOB SECURITY

One of the things that we discuss in our seminars and talks to prospective firefighters is the job security the position of a firefighter offers for yourself and your family. Did you know that 99.7% of all firefighters ever hired are never laid off? In today's changing economic situation, how many jobs can boast that statistic? How many people do you know that have been working for a company for 10, 15 or 20 years and suddenly the company is bought out and their job is eliminated? Once you have worked hard to obtain this job, it is yours for a lifetime. You have financial security, medical benefits for you and your family, an early retirement plan – these are all benefits that not many jobs today can offer. The average firefighter salary range is $50,000-$65,000 with hospitalization and a retirement plan after 25 years of service or the age of 48. How many people do you know who can retire at the age of 48? Most people have to wait until they are in their 60's before they can think about retiring comfortably

So, why are you here..?? Is this some noble act to try to rescue the rest of us who have been sentenced to a lifetime of hell...?? I am pleased for you, as you have found what you were after, but it hardly means the rest of us are longing for it...Scared..?? of what..??

So, why are you here..?? Is this some noble act to try to rescue the rest of us who have been sentenced to a lifetime of hell...?? I am pleased for you, as you have found what you were after, but it hardly means the rest of us are longing for it...Scared..?? of what..??

Let me guess your off today? Already called and I gurantee it's going to be looked into. Promise, promise, promise.

How many hours do you have to work in order to make that non college educated money? Think about it. What kind of life does anyone have even the 10+ year drivers? NONE! Those days are long gong and they ain't coming back. Wasn't that a bruce springstein song? YES!

Oh ya, just to confirm your ignorance. Now I don't think they work as hard as you do except the fireman but look at the benefits. If you worked at Conway long enough you would remember what good benefits are. If not, your brainwashed by the machine and I feel sorry for you. Have a great day!

PS.

Your probably getting screwed daily not monthly, it's conway remember, I sure do and I was supposed to be one of the top guys. PLEASE!

"Median annual earnings of all postsecondary teachers in May 2004 were $51,800. The middle 50 percent earned between $36,590 and $72,490. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $25,460, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $99,980."

"Earnings for college faculty vary according to rank and type of institution, geographic area, and field. According to a 2004-05 survey by the American Association of University Professors, salaries for full-time faculty averaged $68,505. By rank, the average was $91,548 for professors, $65,113 for associate professors, $54,571 for assistant professors, $39,899 for instructors, and $45,647 for lecturers. Faculty in 4-year institutions earn higher salaries, on average, than do those in 2-year schools. In 2004-05, faculty salaries averaged $79,342 in private independent institutions, $66,851 in public institutions, and $61,103 in religiously affiliated private colleges and universities. In fields with high-paying nonacademic alternatives--medicine, law, engineering, and business, among others--earnings exceed these averages. In others fields--such as the humanities and education--they are lower."

FIREFIGHTER JOB SECURITY

One of the things that we discuss in our seminars and talks to prospective firefighters is the job security the position of a firefighter offers for yourself and your family. Did you know that 99.7% of all firefighters ever hired are never laid off? In today's changing economic situation, how many jobs can boast that statistic? How many people do you know that have been working for a company for 10, 15 or 20 years and suddenly the company is bought out and their job is eliminated? Once you have worked hard to obtain this job, it is yours for a lifetime. You have financial security, medical benefits for you and your family, an early retirement plan – these are all benefits that not many jobs today can offer. The average firefighter salary range is $50,000-$65,000 with hospitalization and a retirement plan after 25 years of service or the age of 48. How many people do you know who can retire at the age of 48? Most people have to wait until they are in their 60's before they can think about retiring comfortably
The last i heard teachers worked 9 month a year.

Did you mean, "you're"?

hey guys sorry it took so long to get back on here, to answer your questions yes i quit about a month before they closed effingham ,my wife and i sold our house and moved to indianapolis so i am not part of the super fed-ex in effingham. like i said i did some time OTR and found a better paying stress free trucking job here in indy right b-4 christmas everything is going great.
i will however remind you guys how how stupid the fine folks at conway are. shortly after we moved to indy (b4 i found the otr job) i saw xin was hiring i told the wife what the hell i will apply and see what happens well needless to say i never got considered now you would think after 7 years with the company they would hire me less than 3 weeks off the job you know. they hired someone whom they would have to train and spend extra time and money etc etc...now i was willing to start at the bottom just to have a job but i guess everthing happens for a reason and i am much happier with the choices i made. as far as conway is concerned i wish you guys the best of luck and i will wave at ya when i pass ya!

hey guys sorry it took so long to get back on here, to answer your questions yes i quit about a month before they closed effingham ,my wife and i sold our house and moved to indianapolis so i am not part of the super fed-ex in effingham. like i said i did some time OTR and found a better paying stress free trucking job here in indy right b-4 christmas everything is going great.
i will however remind you guys how how stupid the fine folks at conway are. shortly after we moved to indy (b4 i found the otr job) i saw xin was hiring i told the wife what the hell i will apply and see what happens well needless to say i never got considered now you would think after 7 years with the company they would hire me less than 3 weeks off the job you know. they hired someone whom they would have to train and spend extra time and money etc etc...now i was willing to start at the bottom just to have a job but i guess everthing happens for a reason and i am much happier with the choices i made. as far as conway is concerned i wish you guys the best of luck and i will wave at ya when i pass ya!
Just make sure you have ALL of your fingers up when you wave.:nutkick::biglaugh:

Periodically, I do hear that there is life after Conway.

There were about 5 drivers who quit at the former Sharon terminal within 6 months of it being closed and every single one could not be happier they left - even before the terminal closed. Those who took the severance pay, when we closed, are looking smarter by the day.