SEFL | Tamdem trailer wheels/axles

imported_Girn

TB Lurker
Credits
I work in south florida and have noticed more and more trailer pulling 48's and 53's with 4 large double wide tires and or wheels on the tandems of the trailer. Instead of 8 wheels on the 2 tandems, there are only 4. I realize that it gives the trailer more surface area when driving on soft road surfaces so as no to sink as easily but these trailers seem to be over the road units. Where is the savings with these wheels? You have a blow out and you have no choice but to pull over at that area of deflation. On conventional tires you could limp to a safe spot to pull over:interchange rest area........ With these tires you can't do that. Where's the savings on down time and safety concerning this application? I see this on CCC units and Budweiser trailers. This application look costly and self defeating........

They are also designed to run flat for a period of time. Also they weight less and that also helps save fuel. I think we have a couple of dolly's or did have them in Columbia

I work in south florida and have noticed more and more trailer pulling 48's and 53's with 4 large double wide tires and or wheels on the tandems of the trailer. Instead of 8 wheels on the 2 tandems, there are only 4. I realize that it gives the trailer more surface area when driving on soft road surfaces so as no to sink as easily but these trailers seem to be over the road units. Where is the savings with these wheels? You have a blow out and you have no choice but to pull over at that area of deflation. On conventional tires you could limp to a safe spot to pull over:interchange rest area........ With these tires you can't do that. Where's the savings on down time and safety concerning this application? I see this on CCC units and Budweiser trailers. This application look costly and self defeating........

:loser:they are becoming the norm all over the country, saves fuel, runs smother, lighter. We have them on all our sleeper trucks, work well. Up here in the north all the gas tanker co run them on tractor and trailer & Pepsi/Coke swear by them now.:popcorn:

I want to thank each and every one of you for your reply's and all of the information you gave to me! I was way off in my initial thoughts about this system.

I saw a video somewhere of Michelin blowing up their super singles with small charges. They set off both trailer tires on the driver's side. They seemed to do a pretty good job of staying up enough to get on the shoulder. I wonder if they have thought of running an inner liner like Goodyear uses on the larger NASCAR tracks. I suppose that would defeat the purpose since the tire within a tire idea would add weight.

i seen some of those things on my dollie the other day didnt ask any questions though....and i thought 48foot 102 wides were crazy.....:biglaugh:

The 55 series trailers are already getting beatin up. The loadbars are bending and it looks expensive to fix. In my opinion the L53's are a better fit for both city and linehaul.

its very exciting pulling a 53 downtown....i like it.....and you know we are going to get a whompin if those 55series get bent up on the inside.....:biglaugh:

We had a 55 come into LRK with all the bars taken out. If they take out the bars we can't use other bars. I guess they will come up with 2 kinds of ends to use when they go bad.

the safety guy at my terminal told us that we were in no way shape or form use the 55s trlrs in the city what so ever when they first came out. We were to call him personally if dispatch tried to send us out with a 55s. That was last year, now I see them all the time being dropped in the city at a customer for them to load on/ Those bars are a pain especially if the tool to release them down is missing from the trlr.

The last word I got on the issue of the single tire use was, they surved are needs but, our vendors or vendor who handles road calls for us in certain areas said we had to supply the tires. Company felt this would be too much of a problem having to make sure vendor had 2 types of tires. This is what my local shop foreman said a year ago so who knows things change.