SAIA | Tanker Endorsement

Digitalsmgital

TB Lurker
Credits
To work at Saia after 9/15/12 you must have a tanker endorsement. The reason for this is unknown. Other carriers are not requiring drivers to get/have this requirement.

What reason could the company have to require this of their drivers? Could it really be a ploy to fire as many drivers as they can in order to weed out a few of the top-tier seniority drivers?

Who has the answers to the actual DMV test for the tanker endorsement? If you have them, or even the test, post them, or better yet, post a .pdf of the whole thing.

All you have to do is get the CDL handbook, I swear, you don't need the answers, the tanker test is easier than doubles and triples, read over the section once or twice and go ace the test, its stupid easy, mainly common sense.

Just trying to help, there isn't much to it really.

I thought I heard something awhile back about possibly requiring tanker endorsement to to carry multiple totes.Could be that or maybe they are trying to get an account like an Air Products or similar to AP in the future.Like GT said,its really nothing to the test and another endorsement is always good to have.

be sure to study your haz-mat also

A tank endorsement is required for certain vehicles that transport liquids or gases. The liquid or gas does not have to be a hazardous material. A tank endorsement is required if your vehicle needs a Class A or B CDL and you want to haul a liquid or liquid gas cargo tank rated at 119 gallons or more or a portable tank rated at 1,000 gallons or more. A tank endorsement is also required for Class C vehicles when the vehicle is used to transport hazardous materials in liquid or gas form in the above described rated tanks

Yeah, I did the online tests, stupid easy questions except the one where you slow down before a curve, then slightly accelerate through the curve to keep the liquid stable in the tank.

Good point about studying the hazmat too. I hear to get the tanker endorsement you need to re-take the triples and hazardous also. Does anybody know for sure if that is true? My current license is good for three more years.

Driver quit listening to the CB and stay out of the truckstop and go take the tanker written test. Don't get yourself all worked up!!! Your making way too much out of this.

To work at Saia after 9/15/12 you must have a tanker endorsement. The reason for this is unknown. Other carriers are not requiring drivers to get/have this requirement.

The new rule after Jan. 2013 (I think) is any trailer with containers over 119 gallons (totes) with a combined total over 1000 gallons will require a tanker endorsement.

the only part of the law that was changed was if you only haul empty totes you do need to have the endorsement. I guess that is for companies that either clean totes or sells new ones. My company tolds us earlier in the year to get them b/4 year end. Any drivers that were hired had a 90 day grace period to get it. Like everyone said its a easy test to take.

What reason could the company have to require this of their drivers? Could it really be a ploy to fire as many drivers as they can in order to weed out a few of the top-tier seniority drivers?

Who has the answers to the actual DMV test for the tanker endorsement? If you have them, or even the test, post them, or better yet, post a .pdf of the whole thing.

Don't mean to butt in, but other co's ARE requiring the tanker endorsment. Some states,if not all, are now enforcing this because of multiple totes in your trl. Took mine in 1988--don't remember it now, so it must have been easy.

Don't mean to butt in, but other co's ARE requiring the tanker endorsment. Some states,if not all, are now enforcing this because of multiple totes in your trl.

Well that is news, I have asked other drivers in California at FedEx, R&L, Conway, Oak Harbor and they dont know of any changes. Maybe at Saia its September compliance and these other carriers its 2013?

Maybe the R&L driver you spoke to is mis informed or not in the loop. I first heard about this proposed change from a buddy of mine who works at R&L. They are requiring them to get it as well.

yes we had to get last year at rl carriers we had a driver that got pull and shut him down because he didn't have tanker on his lic. had totes in trailer

Its just another way to extract some more money, it will cost to add it, when thats over and done it will be somethin else, just like having to background check and fingerprint each time hazmat is renewed.

We are cash cows, blue collar workers as cash cows, whodathunkit?

Just depends on what crooked state you take the test in. My state will only test me on the tanker, and none of the other crap. Should have done this 18 years ago,but I was hell bent on not pulling tankers. Still won't even though this is being shoved down our throats .