Central Transport | Teamsters 745 and EEOC looking@vitran Dallas

Illegal hiring practices..With EEOC....as far as the Teamsters local 745 Central States region.... They are trying to get enough cards signed to take it to a vote....They have failed before....But word travels through the grapevine...And they know whats happening here with the discord and favoritism and are making their move to increase membership...Too many afraid so i doubt they will get enough..Most think Vitran would pull out of tx if the union got in....The only reason they could have chance is because if they pulled out, drivers would qualify for unemployment and at over 400 a week for the max thats quite appealing to some...So many want to quit,... but because that would dis-qualify them from unemployment they stay...Yes thats how bad tx is...Believe or not......So as the sun sets in the land of the cow...i think i will go eat a steak and say f*** it...Cause before long i might be eatin beans...God help the old lady....They give me gas...lol....I dont want a union...But 400 a week for sittin on my a** dont sound bad...At least until something better comes along

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one would not try to get the union in here, they r holding on by a string, but everyone has their own will and want in this world, and who am I to stop u from trying. I would rather walk away then go through all that headache and trouble, but like I said good luck

I for one would not try to get the union in here, they r holding on by a string, but everyone has their own will and want in this world, and who am I to stop u from trying. I would rather walk away then go through all that headache and trouble, but like I said good luck
Im not either...They are the ones.....i didnt invite them in...The union will go away like they did before...The government wont...DOT and EEOC are watching Vitran like a hawk...And will shut them down if they dont straighten up...and they know it...and are scrambing as we speak..They are getting ready to lay down some big fines...They have warned them enough

so more less what u r saying is dont try to remember the name of head of safety, foe he will be on the way out with a smile and a heavy cashiers check, from his buy-out from his contract :)

Illegal hiring practices..With EEOC....as far as the Teamsters local 745 Central States region.... They are trying to get enough cards signed to take it to a vote....They have failed before....But word travels through the grapevine...And they know whats happening here with the discord and favoritism and are making their move to increase membership...Too many afraid so i doubt they will get enough..Most think Vitran would pull out of tx if the union got in....The only reason they could have chance is because if they pulled out, drivers would qualify for unemployment and at over 400 a week for the max thats quite appealing to some...So many want to quit,... but because that would dis-qualify them from unemployment they stay...Yes thats how bad tx is...Believe or not......So as the sun sets in the land of the cow...i think i will go eat a steak and say f*** it...Cause before long i might be eatin beans...God help the old lady....They give me gas...lol....I dont want a union...But 400 a week for sittin on my a** dont sound bad...At least until something better comes along

Illegal hiring? Shouldn't that be a State Dept of some Labor (not familiar with TX laws much) not a Union? Granted what I have read over the last 6 months, Texas would be a lot easier to get their foot in than other places right now,, sounds pretty tough down there,, but is it right to do at this time? what are they going to gain (we all know the union BS) but on other hand, Vitran can just take their zip codes off from service areas programs and sink their ship too (that would be really hard logistically, but can be done)

If you really want a Union here, then let's start our own in house one,,,, it worked for UPS. I for one cannot see giving some underhanded 90 year old criminal cigar smoking scotch drinking blow hard jerk control of my employment. 25 an hour and 100% paid insurance will sink the ship, we need people in charge who can be realistic about today's economy and has extensive trucking knowledge (NOT just an office idiot either, someone who has been around)

Texas isn't the only state that won't pay you unemployment if you quit. I'm trying to figure out why you should get unemployment if YOU walk. You will never unionize Vitran unless you have a nationwide campaign and that seems unlikely. There have been several efforts to organize over the years, most have failed. Of the terminals that did vote yes they were promptly closed, and the employees laid off, in several cases the terminals were reopened on the other side of town or in a nearby suburb with new employees. There is too much freight going into Texas to "pull out". Last time I checked there were a ton of driving jobs in the DFW area, why not walk away? I don't say that lightly, I have been with the company for nearly 20 years and I am preparing to leave myself. I would prefer to leave on my own time table rather than show up to work and see the gates padlocked.

The union is not the anwser...The company cant make enough revenue because they are paying so much out in claims...because of poor training and the lack of supervision as the trailers are being loaded im-properly by some school age kid... See you get what you pay for...save a little on labor...but way more on claims offset that... you know this aint rocket science..You dont need a college degree for that...Its basic Freight 101....OS&D is why this companys operation Ratio is off the charts...Look at Old Dominions O.R. in Transport Topics..Makes you want to throw up...They are the most profitable LTL company in the business...Because they run OS&D in structured and professional manner...Excellent training...Supervision watching their trailers get loaded correctly..And accountability for both the supervisor and loader when it gets damaged by improper loading ...HEAR THAT BIG DOGS...BASIC TRAINING IN FREIGHT 101...

The union is not the anwser...The company cant make enough revenue because they are paying so much out in claims...because of poor training and the lack of supervision as the trailers are being loaded im-properly by some school age kid... See you get what you pay for...save a little on labor...but way more on claims offset that... you know this aint rocket science..You dont need a college degree for that...Its basic Freight 101....OS&D is why this companys operation Ratio is off the charts...Look at Old Dominions O.R. in Transport Topics..Makes you want to throw up...They are the most profitable LTL company in the business...Because they run OS&D in structured and professional manner...Excellent training...Supervision watching their trailers get loaded correctly..And accountability for both the supervisor and loader when it gets damaged by improper loading ...HEAR THAT BIG DOGS...BASIC TRAINING IN FREIGHT 101...

Well put... another thing to add..... so many at my place just throw their hands up and say that is the way it is,, well,,,, with that $200 claim, I have said tell me how much more freight we have to haul to generate that $200 from our net revenue? Most just got frustrated and walked away not knowing what I was even talking about. I said if our operating ratio was back down to 95 (WISH), it would still take $4,000 more of gross revenue to pay that $200 claim out of our net profit. In other words, one OS&D claims for 20 (guessing) trucks and your terminal did not make a profit that day. How many terminals in the system has OS&D that day? How many were left to actually generate revenue for the company?

Now, how much was your terminal's OS&D total last week (NOT blaming anyone's terminal directly, but someone has to absorb the figure)? How many trucks is your P&D? If more people thought about it that way, things might get treated differently around here,MIGHT, HOPE, WISH.......

you have a valid point not wanted. when you call in to os&d for a claim, the way it would work at other ltl companies, whicih I have worked for, when you call in a claim, you do the same thing as what we do here. but that osd clerk takes it one step farther. they look up the pro and find out where and when it got damaged or shortage. if it came in short or damaged, they would get with the last term that had it all together, now if all the terminals that handled that freight and and it was free and clear, and then all of a sudden it appears in your trailer damaged, well then you know which barn was to blame, and the the clerk would back track to see who in that barn all handled that freight, and either one talk to that person or persons to see what happended, etc, or 2 wait till his shift was over and write him up, now that is what you call doing your job. things like that, meaning "HAVING ACOUNTABILITY" will save this company millions of dollars every year, if people know there are consequences for their stupidity, well, what do you think people r guna start doing, THEIR JOB RIGHT FOR A CHANGE

So many just want to pass the buck...and play the blame game...Unfortunatly that is the Vitran culture...And it will NEVER CHANGE until management holds people accountable....But how can you hold a punk teenager accountable thats part time...come on...He dont give a F*** He will just tell them to F*** off and walk.....Like i say the move to rid all full time dock workers is a mistake....Your gonna save on a benefit package by hiring part time dock workers but at a cost thats not worth it...The New 11 ....By RG and CK....Some good valid points...But the bottom line is claims...solve that and the other 10 dont matter....OS&D is will bankrupt this company if we dont get back to the basics...Holding people accountable...People that have something to lose....Full time Dock Workers

my biggest pain in my butt is accountability, they need to come out with a rules and policy book, asap! then they can follow the companies rules and not the rules local management feels fit at that time. without hardcore set in stone rules, people will get away with average at best work ethic. to tell you the truth it feels like all of us that care about this compnay and write on this wall, are all beating a dead horse, I have went to management multiple times with concerns, and nothing. what surprised me the most is when I went over my t.m's head with stuff and even they came up with a totally differnt excuse then what my t.m gave me. even they go along with what ever pops up in their head at the moment. so yeah, beating a dead horse is all I can say on accountability, and believe me going over his head came with harsh punishments, no o.t. for awhile, linehaul during the week when I came close to o.t. no weekend work, etc. I think he did not like that move

No one really...management plays by a different set of rules...but Southside hit on something...RETALIATION...no open door policy here...You say something that offends a TM....RETALIATION...BIG TIME....Old Lady Bit*****...gotta go...Too much internet boys ....Later

reinstate fulltime dockworkers, but hire older employees instead of young punks. sick and tired of these young clowns hauling ass on the forklifts, damaging freight and loading the trailers stupidly. at my terminal, i think these kids bought all the k2 supply up before it was outlawed. maybe making the terminals smoke free would be a good idea too, always see dockworkers standing outside making a smoke cloud when they should be working and i know it's not their break.

It is never a good time unionize. Thats why you just have to do it and hope for the best. Every company i have worked at, including my own have all been "broke" . There is never enough sales or too many claims or the sky is never the right color. However thers always enough money for big bonuses, nice offices and anything else the big dogs want. Listen, if you want something some times you have to grow a pair and make it happen. There is money. There is plenty of money and if you dont believe that have another sip of koolaid.