Yellow | Teamsters it's time to retire!

cessnakat

TB Lurker
Credits
Yellow and roadway teamsters that can retire need to move on.This is the only way jobs are going to be saved. And before people jump on and start talking about medical, that isnt the issue with most all teamsters I've talked to.If they want to keep on working go get another job(or stay at Y-R AND WORK FOR MINIMUM WAGE).Many younger teamsters will lose their jobs because of these GREEDY old timers who do not kwow when its time to hang it up.I would almost be willing to bet that 10% of the work force could be saved by retirements. Not to mention helping the company by getting rid of all these 5-6 week vacations.Many teamsters with sons and daughters working for the company worry about them losing their jobs,yet even they won't cut them any slack and retire.Flame away ,I have no patience anymore for these people. I started over many times in the union and many of these have been lucky enough to work for one company,they dont understand the hardships of starting over. So do the right thing and enjoy what most people will never get.

Amen brother, these are the same people who will look you in the eye and say that they are sorry you are on lay off, and then go work a 14 hour shift. If you can not make it on what we get paid for 40 hours, then these sob's are going to hell when they die. They seem just to care about themselves, the two faced b******s. I can understand that when the freight is slow that there needs to be a cutback. But when our brothers and sisters can help get a few of us some days of work and dont seem to care then i have an issue. I am not concerened of the heallth and welfare as much as i am about paying my monthly mortage and electric and so on and so on bills. I can eek by on two 14 hour days, if these sob's would act like a "true" teamster would. Sorry to ramble on--but i am p----d.

I dont know about florida but in dallas they will only work the layoffs on the weekends. And they are forcing overtime on the dock and were told if you punchout and go home you could be terminated. So looks to me like the old timers have no choice but work.

If you want to retire go right ahead. If you dont or are not ready, dont.

tbh gimmy 25 more years credited to me and I will gladly retire:hide:

I am a lower seniority guy at YRC I think you should not be so harsh towards our senior guys. I am sure allot of them had to endure just what you and I are going through now. Maybe they have a sick wife at home, or a few more house payments to make, possibly they didn't plan well and they have to work overtime just to get by. They have done their time, and that's their right as far as I am concerned, look at the pensions if someone works into their 60's and 70's they usually end up putting more in than they get out it's their right and their choice if the company wants to offer buyouts to encourage guys to retire that's great. But who are you guys to demand these longtime Teamster brothers do anything? Don't be so selfish, it's attitudes like this that are destroying our solidarity.

I don't see where you have the right to shame people into retiring. These people have worked all there lives and now since YRCW over hired, you wish to take your wrath out on the senior people. We will get busy again and sometime down the road when you get seniority, there will be someone screaming you should work less and retire. These things have a way of going 360.

Yellow and roadway teamsters that can retire need to move on.This is the only way jobs are going to be saved. And before people jump on and start talking about medical, that isnt the issue with most all teamsters I've talked to.If they want to keep on working go get another job(or stay at Y-R AND WORK FOR MINIMUM WAGE).Many younger teamsters will lose their jobs because of these GREEDY old timers who do not kwow when its time to hang it up.I would almost be willing to bet that 10% of the work force could be saved by retirements. Not to mention helping the company by getting rid of all these 5-6 week vacations.Many teamsters with sons and daughters working for the company worry about them losing their jobs,yet even they won't cut them any slack and retire.Flame away ,I have no patience anymore for these people. I started over many times in the union and many of these have been lucky enough to work for one company,they dont understand the hardships of starting over. So do the right thing and enjoy what most people will never get.
exactly 6 months from today on april 30 2009 i will hang it up........i will have exactly 25 complete and will be 51 then so you cant say i am greedy.......free money and i can totally do something else.......there is life after yellow.........any govmt. job will get my ins........i just dont get a guy who works at my terminal.........he is 75....drawing a teamster pension..........social security.....and keeping a jr. man at my terminal from coming off layoff.......nuff said.......:hide::hide::hysterical::hysterical:

Amen brother, these are the same people who will look you in the eye and say that they are sorry you are on lay off, and then go work a 14 hour shift. If you can not make it on what we get paid for 40 hours, then these sob's are going to hell when they die. They seem just to care about themselves, the two faced bastards. I can understand that when the freight is slow that there needs to be a cutback. But when our brothers and sisters can help get a few of us some days of work and dont seem to care then i have an issue. I am not concerened of the heallth and welfare as much as i am about paying my monthly mortage and electric and so on and so on bills. I can eek by on two 14 hour days, if these sob's would act like a "true" teamster would. Sorry to ramble on--but i am pissed.
dont blame u man........they are called meesters......they are all around us.........:butt kiss:

Please engage your brain before you begin to type, and investigate your facts.

In Central States once you retire, you have to get approval from the teamsters to collect retirement and work. So if Mr 30 years decided he wants to drive a transporter for NASCAR he has to report this to Central States. They will tell him NO..he cannot drive. Even though he is not taking away a teamster job. Hell, he can't even drive a private coach motor home for a NASCAR owner... I know, this happened to 3 people I know in Charlotte...

I think the discussion of forced retirement has been discussed previously. It is a PERSONAL decision to retire. Your seniority is an EARNED right. Quit your whining and do your job.

REMEMBER if it wasn't for these older guys with seniority you younger wouldn't have a union job....RESPECT YOUR ELDERS....

By the way, I've started over 3 times and now I have to do it again. QUITYER*****IN and deal with it...

would love to work ONLY 40

In Central States once you retire, you have to get approval from the teamsters to collect retirement and work. So if Mr 30 years decided he wants to drive a transporter for NASCAR he has to report this to Central States. They will tell him NO..he cannot drive. Even though he is not taking away a teamster job. Hell, he can't even drive a private coach motor home for a NASCAR owner... I know, this happened to 3 people I know in Charlotte...

I think the discussion of forced retirement has been discussed previously. It is a PERSONAL decision to retire. Your seniority is an EARNED right. Quit your whining and do your job.

REMEMBER if it wasn't for these older guys with seniority you younger wouldn't have a union job....RESPECT YOUR ELDERS....

By the way, I've started over 3 times and now I have to do it again. QUITYER*****IN and deal with it...

iThanks for saying it for me,these guys don't know what its like to be so close yet so far away. I have 26 years paid in and am 56 years old,can't get insurance until 57 and then its 640.00 a month.I still have mortgage payments ,car pmts,elect,water ,etc just like you,i struggled and made my payments when I was working only a couple of days a week so I know what its like to be on the bottom. I would love to work 40 and go home but the stupid people I work for won't let me. I have never bought more than 40 hrs would pay for and still put 4 kids through college so now I can relax and catch my breath and this dumbass company wants to work me to death.Don't worry I will go just as soon as I can afford to and you or no one can decide when that is. If you don't like us OLD guys, who still have to work , then b**** to our stupidvisors who ,by their dumb dispatching,are keeping us out half the night when we would love to go home on 8 hours,then I don't know what to tell you other than; GET OVER IT:nutkick:

My opinion I wouldn't tell them **** I was doing when I retire it is none of there business......they tried to take back a teamster pention in pa for the same reason working at another ltl company it went to court and they lost the guy is still working there.....I think if a guy has done his time then that gives him every right to do whatever ,whever and however he wants when he retires.
Also over the last couple of years the junior dockmen we're working in excess of 60 hours a week ....I told all of them at one time or another make sure you are putting money aside that way when it gets slow you have something to fall back on.....For 3 yrs most of theses guys worked everyday and 6 punches every week and showed me there checks how much (laughing when they did)they made being a dockman and not being under DOT rules.....(I was a dockman at one time and got my cdl in 96 through yellow) so I know both sides of the story. We have not laid off but they get 8 and some only gets 3 days a week now they are crying the blews who do you think they blame? The senior guys for working the overtime that is who:chairshot: So should I take off a day or not take overtime if it is there because of theses jackasses poor financial planning? I feel bad for them because I have been in the same boat, working 3 days aweek sometimes 1 day aweek, Saving my vacation and taking it in jan and feb just to keep up my families medical. Time for bed JUst my 2 cents:1036316054:

We have been losing workers at a steady rate due to retiremement at our barn. We still have quite a problem though. We are in the Western States and have a young barn. By that I mean our (Old Timers) are young in age but have a lot of seniority. They aren't old enough to retire. They need to meet a minimum of "80". That is the combination of your age plus your years of service.

Most of them are so close to retirement now that they can taste it. Personally I would like nothing more than to hang it up. The fact is I can't yet. I need a few more years to earn a peer 80. I pray that I will be able to.

I am one of the "lucky ones" you spoke of. I never had the hardship of having to start over at another company. I hope I never have to either.

It sounds to me that you have it all figured out. For some reason though I question your motives. You stated that you have started over many times in the Union. You should have earned many hours of service on your various tours with different companies then. Haven't you acquired enough time to retire yourself? I have a few more questions to ask. Are you speaking out on behalf of the masses or just yourself? Are you really asking for a system wide retirement or just at your barn? How many will have to retire from your barn until you have the seniority number you are looking for? When you discuss these matters is it with the top 50% of the seniority at your barn or the bottom 50%?

Whatever? Right? For me it will be the same. I will keep on doing what I have done for many years now. I will only work the hours I am forced to while my JR brothers and sisters are on layoff. You will not see a 6th or 7th punch from me. I will continue to fight the good fight just as the teamsters before me did. Without them we would be nothing.

NO , as a matter of fact I won't as you put it "quit my whining". I've heard some of the most assinine reasons for wanting to stay such as wanting to work till I'm 80 to beat someone elses record(talk about brain cells pretty much gone)these people have no life outside of work because all they did was work as many hours as possible and didnt have time for hobbies, or their family for that matter. So cfer I really dont care what your opinion is of me. They are the selfish ones and I stand by what I said. And by the way, out here in the west we can work as long as its not freight.

cessnakat,
When its time for you to start thinking about retirement, I hope you make this important decision based on what is best for you and your family.

cessnakat,
When you start to think about retiring, I would hope you will base that decision on what is best for you and your family.
Mud
your right ,but there is a need for some type of retirement counciling program to help teamsters understand their options better than the pension fund personell, who really would probably rather see you work till you drop.Teamsters need to understand what they are really earning when they postpone retirement.That money will most likely never be made up.