ABF | Teamsters leaders, ABF agree on relief plan

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
29o36za.jpg

WASHINGTON — Teamsters local leaders on April 19 “overwhelmingly” endorsed a plan to reduce wages15 percent at ABF Freight System Inc., the less-than-truckload carrier that has seen its historically strong financial position eroded by the recession. The union says the deal will protect thousands of members’ jobs and benefits.
Teamsters leaders, ABF agree on relief plan

http://www.thetrucker.com/News/Stories/2010/4/21/TeamstersleadersABFagreeonreliefplan.aspx

So what exactly does the union lose in this deal...Why is the teamster always the one taking the concessions and feeling the pain? Did hoffa take a wage cut, will the union reduce or waive your dues? It is business as usual at your local hall or the IBT. The teamsters union needs a wake up call. They should have let yellow die and let the remaining carriers take the freight and get on with it. Yellow will fail in the next 2 years, why keep beating a dead horse and continue to let the members work for less money and no retirement. I have been in the union for 40 years and I do not want to be a member, maybe is time to elect teamsters who work and know the issues we face everyday instead of being led by a bunch of idiots that are out of touch with reality.

[quote author=webidiot link=topic=79427.msg823438#msg823438 date=1271854213]
So what exactly does the union lose in this deal...Why is the teamster always the one taking the concessions and feeling the pain? Did hoffa take a wage cut, will the union reduce or waive your dues? It is business as usual at your local hall or the IBT. The teamsters union needs a wake up call. They should have let yellow die and let the remaining carriers take the freight and get on with it. Yellow will fail in the next 2 years, why keep beating a dead horse and continue to let the members work for less money and no retirement. I have been in the union for 40 years and I do not want to be a member, maybe is time to elect teamsters who work and know the issues we face everyday instead of being led by a bunch of idiots that are out of touch with reality.
[/quote]

I made the statement one night coming from the motel back to Chicago Hgts that this would occur with a bunch of ABF Drivers. Not only was I told I was an idiot, but was shouted down for even mentioning this. ABF is currently at an $11. per hour disadvantage to YRC, along with them still contributing to the pension plans. For all of those that believe that the economy is going to rebound in the third quarter, forget it. I have been laid off from YRC just 1 week shy of a year. I had no bites on a job for 6 months, so I was forced to reopen my ICC/DOT authority and bought a tractor/trailer. The current rates for a large majority of dry freight is just plain ridiculous as shippers want you to haul it for anywhere from $0.65cpm to $1.30 per mile. If you can find $1.30 freight you make a little bit of money (profit) provided you can operate frugally. This is going to be the "New Standard" of living because our illustrious International has sanctioned it. My prediction is that this will pass because the Teamsters of yesteryear are either sick and retired or dead. I wish the ABF folks the best of luck and to choose wisely. I also agree that YRC should have been left to it's own devices because the MANAGEMENT is the principle cause of this debacle, not the labor. We just load/unload and drive the trucks.

I also highly agree that the International is way out of touch with the rank and file.

Just my opinion.