ABF | Teamsters Pension Plan Stuck In Crisis!

Ahh,yes,...Brother Von........I save my sarcasm up all week in anticipation of a screen missive from Rollin62. Usually, such thundering stupidity from him brings on a release of vituperation similar to a dose of Kaopectate on a constipated man. I had mentioned "Honey Boo-Boo" in my previous post...........Well,...."mentally depleted" would be how you felt in the eighteenth hour of a "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo" marathon.........you wouldn't have the brain cells left to wipe the puddle of drool out of your lap........and, strangely,...these type of images come to the forefront of my mind when discussing Mr. Rollin62......[/QUOTE

Excellent! Damn, I wish you worked at our barn.
In fact, I wish 40 of your exact same personality were employed at my barn, instead of those woolly sheep!

Well, Brother,.....We'll have our own little test of solidarity here, shortly. Ours is one of the seven Supplements that need re-voted. I was informed last night by my B.A........a great guy, by the way,......that we have a tentative agreement and ballots will be mailed out August 4th. But,....what puzzles him and I is that, other than an informal set of proposals that I gave to my B.A.,...we've had no contact with our "Two Man Committee" person....And,.....there is no information as to what she agreed to. We'll have to wait to see what the ballot says. There are 4 Locals involved with our Joint Council #40 Supplement. I am in close contact with the stewards at the Pittsburgh and Altoona terminals,.....Mine is the Greensburg terminal. We are trying to contact the Erie terminal,......but the three of us who are working together contain the bulk of the membership in this Supplement. We WILL NOT do the "Vote until you get it right" thing, I guarantee you. We had some good proposals.........Paid for HAZ-MAT, Split second week of vacation, Double back pay award if discharge is for new surveillance language, and an arbitrator rules in our favor.....Change in language considering 6 day clock punch and use of vacation days in a week...............All very good proposals. Let's see what happens with our ballots. This time we're ready for a "shuck'n'jive".......and we will stand as a group. Vote NO for a bad Supplement!

Ahh,yes,...Brother Von........I save my sarcasm up all week in anticipation of a screen missive from Rollin62. Usually, such thundering stupidity from him brings on a release of vituperation similar to a dose of Kaopectate on a constipated man. I had mentioned "Honey Boo-Boo" in my previous post...........Well,...."mentally depleted" would be how you felt in the eighteenth hour of a "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo" marathon.........you wouldn't have the brain cells left to wipe the puddle of drool out of your lap........and, strangely,...these type of images come to the forefront of my mind when discussing Mr. Rollin62......[/QUOTE

Excellent! Damn, I wish you worked at our barn.
In fact, I wish 40 of your exact same personality were employed at my barn, instead of those woolly sheep!

I am honored just to work in the same state with the highly esteemed canaryinthemine.

Well, Brother,.....We'll have our own little test of solidarity here, shortly. Ours is one of the seven Supplements that need re-voted. I was informed last night by my B.A........a great guy, by the way,......that we have a tentative agreement and ballots will be mailed out August 4th. But,....what puzzles him and I is that, other than an informal set of proposals that I gave to my B.A.,...we've had no contact with our "Two Man Committee" person....And,.....there is no information as to what she agreed to. We'll have to wait to see what the ballot says. There are 4 Locals involved with our Joint Council #40 Supplement. I am in close contact with the stewards at the Pittsburgh and Altoona terminals,.....Mine is the Greensburg terminal. We are trying to contact the Erie terminal,......but the three of us who are working together contain the bulk of the membership in this Supplement. We WILL NOT do the "Vote until you get it right" thing, I guarantee you. We had some good proposals.........Paid for HAZ-MAT, Split second week of vacation, Double back pay award if discharge is for new surveillance language, and an arbitrator rules in our favor.....Change in language considering 6 day clock punch and use of vacation days in a week...............All very good proposals. Let's see what happens with our ballots. This time we're ready for a "shuck'n'jive".......and we will stand as a group. Vote NO for a bad Supplement!
Sounds good in this world of sheepsters we live in today. I know you'll keep us posted and wishing you luck and solidarity on this issue.

Sheepsters, I like it, well...don't really 'like' it but I think it's befitting.

So......

New to this board, but I surely appear to be in the right place....

So im guessing now would be a bad time to have an interview with ABF?!?!?!!?

New to this board, but I surely appear to be in the right place....

So im guessing now would be a bad time to have an interview with ABF?!?!?!!?
Well if you can put up with no vacation for two years and two weeks at 8 years( although that could change in 5 years with a new contract).
Its till not a bad place to work depending on your location I guess. I would still rather be here than back at Holland.

I am honored just to work in the same state with the highly esteemed canaryinthemine.

Thanks for the accolades, Brother ABFer......If I were younger, I would do it,....but I'm too old to blush anymore. Besides,...the only reason I look like I have any veracity is the quality and caliber of my peers in this industry, and this company in particular. I'm allowed to rattle on here,...bloviating my opinions,.....and if it weren't for the intelligent and reasonable responses from the rest of you.....I'd just look like the wacko old curmudgeon idiot. Thanks back to you, Sir.

Well if you can put up with no vacation for two years and two weeks at 8 years( although that could change in 5 years with a new contract).
Its till not a bad place to work depending on your location I guess. I would still rather be here than back at Holland.

I think he'd be doing good going for an interview. Most of this contract was designed to keep us older, high-seniority guys working longer and harder in an industry that has no entry program for younger drivers........and there's bound to be an attrition rate, despite the companies' best efforts to dangle that carrot.......fully funded pensions, and no health care co-pays....in front of us to accept lower wages. I'd think if you could get hired now, Brother Frosty...........the next contract,....if they don't have a re-opener of this contract because wages have sky-rocketed.....the next contract will be a watershed deal for those of us who can stick it out that long. All this contract,....and the YRC deal,...was,...is a short-term solution to a large, industry-wide, long-term problem. The people who have,...."engineered"..... these deals will be long gone,....company and Union. Me, too,.....along with many, many other older qualified drivers and experienced dock workers. If you can tough out the next few years, Brother Frosty,......I think it'll pay off for you......My opinion....

So I'm guessing from a financial standpoint and workload standpoint, being 30 young years of age, this would be an offer to consider. All the guys here in Hagerstown love the place and are all working 55+ a week...

Also, sorry to butt in on your gentlemans conversation.

It was kind of rude, but it appears a majority of you guys are extremely well versed in the art of ltl and ABF etc....

For that, I commend you!!

What's the interview process like? I was under the impression if you get an interview with them, you've got the job....

And isn't the starting wage like 70% of top out wage?

85% , Brother Frosty.........a two year wage progression,...based on calendar time,...not time worked. First you have to jump through all the hoops,.....casual, preferred casual,...90 day new hire,.....or,....if the terminal is very hard-up for people, the Branch manager can cut right through the language, and put you on as a new-hire. The important thing is to get on the seniority board....once you do that,...it becomes a matter of time,...and time only..to start accruing vacation, sick days, and getting closer to the guarantee. Top 85% of the board are on a 40 hour guarantee. One very important piece of information:......Disclose ALL information that's asked for....including very minor license problems that happened years ago. The slightest indication that you are holding back even the most minor and trivial things that happened years ago will ruin your chances. They do a very thorough background check.......and although their standards have supposedly dropped in the last few years,...they are still one of the most stringent companies I've ever seen.....And......pay your dues,...get informed,....and go to all the Union meetings......(..that's the steward in me speaking....)..

What's the interview process like? I was under the impression if you get an interview with them, you've got the job....

And isn't the starting wage like 70% of top out wage?
NO, here they interview first then do the deep digging. It seems that they use that method to screen out definite 'no hires' before spending time and money investigating.

85% , Brother Frosty.........a two year wage progression,...based on calendar time,...not time worked. First you have to jump through all the hoops,.....casual, preferred casual,...90 day new hire,.....or,....if the terminal is very hard-up for people, the Branch manager can cut right through the language, and put you on as a new-hire. The important thing is to get on the seniority board....once you do that,...it becomes a matter of time,...and time only..to start accruing vacation, sick days, and getting closer to the guarantee. Top 85% of the board are on a 40 hour guarantee. One very important piece of information:......Disclose ALL information that's asked for....including very minor license problems that happened years ago. The slightest indication that you are holding back even the most minor and trivial things that happened years ago will ruin your chances. They do a very thorough background check.......and although their standards have supposedly dropped in the last few years,...they are still one of the most stringent companies I've ever seen.....And......pay your dues,...get informed,....and go to all the Union meetings......(..that's the steward in me speaking....)..
New contract 1 year old contract 3 years