TForce | Tell me WHY

Slo

TB Lurker
Credits
As I read these boards I see that 90% agree that the Indy contract is not the best. SO WHY BE IN A HURRY TO JUMP ON THE BAND WAGON ? When THE BIG BOYS ARE Starting Early Talks On The NEW MASTER FREIGHT CONTRACT I dont get it. If Indy was not good enough wait and see what the marjority get and settle for the same. I mean if its good enough for YELLOW. ROADWAY, ABF, HOLLAND I Think it would be good enough for UPSF. The way I see it Those DRIVERS ARE NO BETTER THAN I AM OR ANY OTHER DRIVERS OUT HERE. The way I see it MOST ON HERE ARE READY TO SIGN UP JUST TO SIGN UP, AND THAT TO ME IS LIKE LETTING THE WAGON PULL THE HORSES. It just dont add ($$$$$$) up. And if anyone thinks Im wrong they are just wanting the UPSF guys to stay behind on pay,bennies,work rules like it has been for the last 60 years or so. SO if you guys want to be second class or no class go as fast as you can and sigh up be second to get less or use your head and let the rank and file set the STANDARD . The way I read The Indy contract is between ups and the indy employees ONLY and they are not sending out invitations. So let them be and join 200,000 that are working on a new deal as we wait to see what will come out of indy.

The teamsters have opened pandora's box with the Indy contract and YRC, ABF, Holland, etc... will all be looking to move the toward that contract. Now, that is going to be a hard sell to the rank and file of those Companies, but that is what those Companies will try to take the teamsters towards. Problem for them they do not have the financial or relationship clout that UPS has with Hoffa. I have not problem waiting, because I do not think with all the fragmention on how everyone feels the contract will be agreed and ratified by these Companies before we can if come close to moving forward. I am not going to talk bad about the INDY contract because it is the first in our history. It is easy for everyone to say what they would or would not have done, but I firmly beleive that UPS is not going to sign into an agreement that will not allow them to operate as that wish. They have not problem with the organization like the former OVNT, so we can go as fast or slow as we want. The option is always on the table especially as long as the Hoffa/UPS relationship exsists.

Just because we sign up or get the majority to be represented does not mean we have to settle for anything. Its all in the negotiations and what UPS will agree to. Wether we hurry or not, Nothing can be negotiated until you are represented by the Teamsters.

I agree 100% But how many employees at upsf have a clue or any expeariance trying to hammer out a contract ? I think we need to see what comes out of the NFFA and compare it to the Indy deal and then go full bore if its what we want. I am in no way speaking bad about the Indy deal. They did have the balls to go the distance !!! I think back 30 odd years ago when I bought my first new car and there is no way I could do that today. It takes a lot of research and planning to get the best deal and it also takes 4 or 5 trips to the dealership with counter offers. I have a friend that has aalmost the same amount of years at Big R and he gets 7 weeks vacation and I only get 5 . We do almost the same job being road drivers, the pay is close. But I have to pay for insurance out of my pay. I get a match on 401k that he doesnt, My retirement is based on how much I work in my last years and his is on the number of years he works and I may get a little more than he does on that deal not much more buy a little more. What Im saying is we are not going to get the best of everything on the first trip down the hiway but if we get the same as the nmfa we are not that far behind the best deal on the car lot

I agree 100% But how many employees at upsf have a clue or any expeariance trying to hammer out a contract ? I think we need to see what comes out of the NFFA and compare it to the Indy deal and then go full bore if its what we want. I am in no way speaking bad about the Indy deal. They did have the balls to go the distance !!! I think back 30 odd years ago when I bought my first new car and there is no way I could do that today. It takes a lot of research and planning to get the best deal and it also takes 4 or 5 trips to the dealership with counter offers. I have a friend that has aalmost the same amount of years at Big R and he gets 7 weeks vacation and I only get 5 . We do almost the same job being road drivers, the pay is close. But I have to pay for insurance out of my pay. I get a match on 401k that he doesnt, My retirement is based on how much I work in my last years and his is on the number of years he works and I may get a little more than he does on that deal not much more buy a little more. What Im saying is we are not going to get the best of everything on the first trip down the hiway but if we get the same as the nmfa we are not that far behind the best deal on the car lot

When we go to our union hall meetings, We have the NMFA book in our hands to compare.

BUT ITS NOT THE NEW ONE FOR THE NEXT 4 OR 5 YEARS. By the time upsf gets a contract it will be based on the old one. If you want the best you have to keep up with the JONES

BUT ITS NOT THE NEW ONE FOR THE NEXT 4 OR 5 YEARS. By the time upsf gets a contract it will be based on the old one. If you want the best you have to keep up with the JONES

It will take some time before all this comes together and before we finally agree to a contract.

I do not know why anyone cares about what happened a Indy, except that they secured a contract. Unless you work there, it is only a model. My local President said he does not like some of the Indy contract and we will work together with him and the employees to figure out what is best for us. Everyone who wants to be involved will have a chance. If you sit on the sidelines then you have no right to complain. There will never be a contract that everyone is happy with, this first one is the starting point. 2013 will be the one when we will have more leverage, being that it will expire with the NMA of parcel. The future looks bright to me, I am 100% for the union. If you want nothing to change? Then do nothing. :1036316054:

The future looks bright to me, I am 100% for the union. :1036316054:
Those of you who claim to be 100% for the union or 100% anti union crack me up. You must come from a line of teamsters(dad, grandpa, etc....). Any rational logical thinking person could not be 100% for either side. There are pro's and con's to all things in life. To blindly and foolishly claim to be 100% behind a somewhat corrupt organization is just silly. Not sure at what age your brainwashing began but you need to step back from your current thinking and truly weigh the options in their entirety. I'm positive if you can be honest with yourself that number will drastically decline from 100%.

Those of you who claim to be 100% for the union or 100% anti union crack me up. You must come from a line of teamsters(dad, grandpa, etc....). Any rational logical thinking person could not be 100% for either side. There are pro's and con's to all things in life. To blindly and foolishly claim to be 100% behind a somewhat corrupt organization is just silly. Not sure at what age your brainwashing began but you need to step back from your current thinking and truly weigh the options in their entirety. I'm positive if you can be honest with yourself that number will drastically decline from 100%.

Anytime you would like to compare brain pans, I am up for it. I am not a fence sitter. I know full well that from the 'crocked timber of humanity, nothing straight was ever created', but I have read the tea leaves and they say the union is the future of UPSF. Live in the past, if you like.:1036316054:

Life in genral is not an exact science.
We have to make choices on whats going to be the best for us.
Theres a lot of compromising envolved in some of our discision making.

With that said we used to have an open door policy when we were Overnite.
we could walk into our TM's office and work out most any conflicts that may have arised during our work shift.

We also could get in touch with our Human resorces department if there was no resolve on our personal issues.
But now that we are A UPS company what do we have?
The compromise now is signing union cards for Teamster representation,or remaining non-union,and doing what we are told if we like it or not.

This is my 2 cents on this issue.
Its UPS's way,or the highway without representation.

Life in genral is not an exact science.
We have to make choices on whats going to be the best for us.
Theres a lot of compromising envolved in some of our discision making.

With that said we used to have an open door policy when we were Overnite.
we could walk into our TM's office and work out most any conflicts that may have arised during our work shift.

We also could get in touch with our Human resorces department if there was no resolve on our personal issues.
But now that we are A UPS company what do we have?
The compromise now is signing union cards for Teamster representation,or remaining non-union,and doing what we are told if we like it or not.

This is my 2 cents on this issue.
Its UPS's way,or the highway without representation.

Starting to sound a little fearful my brother... :hide:
Every job I ever had was their way or the highway.
If I liked the job I did it their way. If I didn't like the job
it was the highway. It's always been a two way street.:1036316054:

I know your right Skeeter,everything is baised on their way or the highway.
I also know the union isn't going to be a magic wand to end all of our conflics.

Lately I've been faced with some issues I'm not used to dealling with,and it would of been nice to have some representation to help me out.

But even with the union we are looking to the future,which isn't helping me out now when I need it.

So I will repent from my negative feelings of hopelessness and put my trust in Jesus Christ the way I've always done before.
I should of just remembered Romans 8:28 in the first place rather than wishing for an organization that can't help me at this present time anyway.

So thank you for your kind words my Apostolic brother,you've posted just what I needed in this case.

Those of you who claim to be 100% for the union or 100% anti union crack me up.

I'm 100% sure that I like women. I'm 100% sure that I will never work for Con-Way. I'm 100% sure that I love my son, daughter, mother and wife. I'm 100% sure that I will do whatever I can to make my mortgage payment each and every month. I'm 100% sure that I will vote against Hillary next year. I'm 100% sure that I will do whatever I can to make sure I go to work tomorrow.

And finally, I'm 100% sure I'll sign that card when it's put in front of me.

It's kind of nice when you have you mind made up on something and you don't waffle around on it. What's the alternative? Are you still looking for information to make up your mind? Personally, I'm a little concerned for you if you don't already know where you stand. You come on this board and trash those that are pro-union and that's fine. But don't trash a man because he has already made up his mind on something. That's called being decisive. You're either the same or you're indecisive. What is it? (Do you like the pun?) Make up your mind. You either know where you stand or you don't. And if you haven't made up your mind, then quit ripping those who have, because by your own admission, you might just come to the same conclusion yourself.

You, my friend, crack me up.

I'm 100% sure that I like women. I'm 100% sure that I will never work for Con-Way. I'm 100% sure that I love my son, daughter, mother and wife. I'm 100% sure that I will do whatever I can to make my mortgage payment each and every month. I'm 100% sure that I will vote against Hillary next year. I'm 100% sure that I will do whatever I can to make sure I go to work tomorrow.

And finally, I'm 100% sure I'll sign that card when it's put in front of me.

It's kind of nice when you have you mind made up on something and you don't waffle around on it. What's the alternative? Are you still looking for information to make up your mind? Personally, I'm a little concerned for you if you don't already know where you stand. You come on this board and trash those that are pro-union and that's fine. But don't trash a man because he has already made up his mind on something. That's called being decisive. You're either the same or you're indecisive. What is it? (Do you like the pun?) Make up your mind. You either know where you stand or you don't. And if you haven't made up your mind, then quit ripping those who have, because by your own admission, you might just come to the same conclusion yourself.

You, my friend, crack me up.
You don't pay much attention. I haven't ripped on anyone except when attacked. All I have done is claim that those who are hell bent on signing without considering the negatives are not very bright. If you feel you have explored all avenues and still want to sign then powerto you. I just don't want people to get roped into a bad contract just because they think union=good and company=bad. Why do you guys on here have such a fear of someone just asking you to take a moment to think ? Those of you that are gunh ho for a contract are the 1st ones here to point fingers and call names. You're like little school children. I am waiting until my local produces a contract and if it's good i'll sign. If it sucks i'll walk. Why do you have a problem with that? That's the way everyone should treat this. The contract should stand on it'sown merits not on some fantasy of being union no matter what.

I'm no expert on this, but I believe that you will not see the actual contract that your local negotiates until after you have all signed your cards. So you actually have to make your mind up sooner than later.

As for people's motivation, you have to remember that we all have personal experiences that have forged our views on the company and the union. We all know there is a give and take, but we're willing to give up certain things to obtain certain things. We're beyond the consideration faze.

Perhaps you have a pretty good TM and that's why you don't see the value in going union, but that's not true for most of us. We also see the writing on the wall with regard to the guaranteed service and what that will mean to us. Trust me, management will do whatever they can to protect their jobs. We must do the same. And if you get written up once, then twice and are on final written warning that peer review board will do nothing for you unless you are terminated or suspended. And then you better hope that you have all the facts and documentation for all events, because the last one might be pretty legitimate and indefensible. But maybe the first two were real iffy. It's be nice to beat down the first two and then if there were a third and it was legitimate, then it would only be the first occurrence.

Do not underestimate the effects that the guaranteed service will have on our jobs and management. They're squirming already. Imagine having to explain to your regional supervisor why you missed two or three deliveries that total $2500. And you had to do this several times a week. You're not going to say, "Sorry, that was my fault." You're going to blame the drivers. They will not blame their own people (those on their side of the window), they'll push it on us. And who is going to represent us then? All of us gung-ho people get that already.

Bmf... I bet you are probably a swell guy,,, feel better??? I can tell you, you wont get a good contract if you dont want one. the more people that sign the more the co. will listen. otherwise thew will brush you off. 95% and they know were serious, 51% is kinda weak.