SAIA | Tell us about SAIA

luci

TB Lurker
Credits
Is SAIA managed consistently? Is safety a talking point or do they support drivers who want to run legal? Has anyone worked for both OD and SAIA and would care to compare the two?

Thanks

well i to have worked for both. saia for almost 9 od for 3. there is a big difference between the 2. i like od they seem to have more things going there way and always are trying to improve. saia is horrible about hiring people in the summer and laying them off in the winter. that was my biggest complaint about them except for the way they load there trailers. safty i think they where pretty good about that. upper managment seems to try to do things that us normal working folks thinks insane. for instance laying of terminal mangers and then think it will run effectently. would i work of saia again. well no because there starting rate is way to low but other than that probably.

Ive worked for sale for it will be 10 years in june sure they have their good points and bad points and the layoff thing wasn't really an issue until we bought out clark bro and the connection and when they do lay off they do it more by performance than seniority (if you do your job well you are pretty safe)if you are lazy you will not be here long. .on safety they are very observant as far as logs and the drivers hos and staying legal .in the last 2 or 3 years since csa 2010 took effect the maintenance on trucks ,trailers,tires, and even the terminals themselves have improved greatly many terminals have moved into newer larger more modern buildings and over the last two years we have bought around a 1000 new tractors and over 700 new trailers with 350 more new tractors on the way now. linehaul is better than the city if your here to make money but you can work the city and do a road run on the weekend and still bring a good paycheck home start out pay hourly is somewhere around 18.00 and top out is 21.12 mile start is like .45 or 47 cents per mile topout is .53 cents.overall i don't really have any bad complaint i make a good living as long as you watch what you do and do what you are supposed to your ok but if you have ANY preventable accident or reckless driving,speeding,etc violation watch out because that puts a target on you.and DO NOT CALL IN SICK UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY SICK HAVE A DR EXCUSE WHEEN YOU GO BACK TO WORK THEY FROWN ON LAYING OUT OF WORK MORE THAN ANYTHING. any freight company that has made it through the past 4 or 5 years is a good company in my eyes and we have sacrificed a little bit but were still here. the company has improved a lot in the past year and has a very positive outlook for the future. on the managed constantly we are and its done more remotely by internet and email they micro manage every aspect of what is going on 24/7 365.

I will say this...I started here in 2009 and this company has improved dramaticly..the equipment,the way we do things and the pay...needless to say iam very happy here

I appreciate the input. I have a great driving record pulling doubles and haz mat overnite with a competing company. I want to keep my good record so I am looking to move on from where I am (the pay is better at saia and OD too). I like to work-it gives me a sense of place. I am Sglad to hear about the improvements. I wont say what city I am from, because I want to keep my privacy, but the I drove by the terminal in my city and it looks terrible. However, I have noticed over the last year that you guys have been getting new trucks and trailers.

Are SAIA and OD about the top companies to work for? Any others close?

Just out of curiosity where did the name SAIA come from?

No kidding. Well I did a little google search and found the name is Italian and means Southern Italy. Not that any of that means anything about the company but kind of interesting. My city is hiring so I am off to fill out the online app. I will see if I get an interview to ask some questions. If anyone else has more info I would appreciate it. thanks for the input.

Thanks Demo Man-- thinking about checking them out. The freight co I work for is starting to look like the old YELLOW with all the bad attitudes and damaged freight and top leadership that talks out of both sides of their mouths. Thanks again

Worked there for 15 years in 3 different terminals. It was a great company when MR SAIA owned it. Then it started really going down hill when the took the we care we share slogan off the trucks. Its not a driver friendly company by any means.
When I worked there i drunk the kool aid. And even other LTL company drivers no to steer clear of them. They could care less about drivers are there freight. I was fired from them for no part of my doing. And lied to by management saying oh we got your back and stuff. Well after many days in court and attorney fees I won in the end. And was cleared and they paid for it in more ways than one. But steer clear of this place. I have alot of friends still there and they want to get away but with the economy they are bearing the Sh&t...

Worked at Saia in 2006. I found them to be very unorganized. No one cared (at my yard anyway). They would fire you at the drop of a hat, even new guys. Trucks were nice back then, trailers were ok. Pay was good but didn't like the paperwork. Half the drivers there thought they were tough guys and had major attitude. I know every company has workers like that but that Saia yard I worked at was rough!

Saia is not the worst company out here by far. Been here since 05, watched food driver to else where then come back. Seen good drivers be fired for things that other company's would turn a blind eye to. As others have stated don't call in with or a Dr. Excuse dot all your I and cross you T's be prepared to defend your self against any accusations thrown at you. Or made a out you. Don't take me wrong I like the company they seem to be trying to improve but like everything else it takes time . there are 137 terminals and just about as many sets of rules it seems as a new hire don't plan on getting a set run , unless extremely lucky plan on getting called at 0200 and told to be there in two hours