FedEx Freight | Temp Control

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
I remember that paint was run through TOL into Canada. The original idea, which never went through, was FXFE would bring them in on rented reefer vans in the winter. FXFC ordered heater vans (5390000 series, afaik there was 4 by the time I left, all running WTO-MTL in winter) to run them over the border. This was scrapped when FXFC had a few vans get loaded for rail by FXFE...took months to get them back. The heater vans were recycled for domestic linehaul and regular vans went to city service.

Tonight, as I was northbound on I-75 in southern Michigan, I was caught up by an FXFC truck...hooked to a blank white reefer van. I was told not long before I left that running vans crossborder again wasn't in the cards, even with (at the time) a critical shortage of FXFE pups. I know TOL didn't care; they said if Canada sent vans they'd reload them and return them.

Does anyone know if something changed? I was pretty surprised. Truck was from HMT, don't know if that helps.

Sorry I can't help you on this one, but something somewhat related came up the other day at work and I thought maybe you would have an answer.

My memory is foggy, but didn't FDX used to have pups that were specifically used to go in and out of Canada? I vaguely remember occasionally having to swing freight out of a pup because the supervisor didn't realize it was one that was used for the sole purpose of heading to WNP. This would have been at least six years ago.

I always assumed that it had something to do with the specs of the trailers, but now it seems like any of our pups are fair game to go up there. Or maybe they get swung into PTs further up the road and I wasn't aware of it.

For what it's worth, this all came about after seeing a 4900 series trailer for the first time in years. We used to load into at least one per night headed to BTE but then they all vanished about three or four years ago.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help you on this one, but something somewhat related came up the other day at work and I thought maybe you would have an answer.

My memory is foggy, but didn't FDX used to have pups that were specifically used to go in and out of Canada? I vaguely remember occasionally having to swing freight out of a pup because the supervisor didn't realize it was one that was used for the sole purpose of heading to WNP. This would have been at least six years ago.

I always assumed that it had something to do with the specs of the trailers, but now it seems like any of our pups are fair game to go up there. Or maybe they get swung into PTs further up the road and I wasn't aware of it.

For what it's worth, this all came about after seeing a 4900 series trailer for the first time in years. We used to load into at least one per night headed to BTE but then they all vanished about three or four years ago.
FXFC has their own trailers. They're not specifically for Canada use, but as far as the US is concerned that's what they're supposed to be for.

FXFC trailers are 2890000 series pups, 5306000 series vans and 4920000 series pintle hitch vans. They will have plates from either Ontario or Alberta. These are largely only good for moving empty or with freight moving to or from Canada, as US Customs & Immigration law prohibits foreign equipment from doing more than one domestic movement of freight. The fine to FedEx wouldn't be small if they ever got caught.

4900000 series pintle hitch vans are used for any Rocky Mountain Double routes, including from Butte to Calgary and recently from Fargo to Winnipeg. FXFE pups are good for all routes, including crossborder, however their domestic use in Canada by FXFC is restricted for similar reasons. FXFC was, in fact, fined for misuse of FXFE pups back in about 2008.