ABF | tentative agreement reached...now abf

hoffa

TB Lurker
Credits
International Brotherhood of Teamsters

Tentative, Five-Year Agreement Addresses Needs of Workers, Companies

(202) 624-6911

December 13, 2007

(Washington, D.C.) – The International Brotherhood of Teamsters and TMI/YRC Worldwide have reached a tentative agreement on a new National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA) that protects workers’ jobs and benefits and allows the unionized companies a chance to better compete against the nonunionized freight companies.

“The freight industry and our freight members are faced with many challenges, but this agreement will protect our tens of thousands of freight members’ futures, giving them the security they deserve,” said Jim Hoffa, Teamsters General President. “Our entire National Negotiating Committee, led by Vice President Tyson Johnson, did a great job protecting our members’ jobs and benefits.”

“This is an excellent agreement,” said Johnson, Director of the Teamsters National Freight Division and lead negotiator for the union. “It provides good wage increases and protects members’ jobs and their health, welfare and pension benefits. It also allows the unionized freight companies to better compete with the non-union companies and gives the unionized companies opportunities to grow business in new areas.”

The agreement also improves the grievance procedure for workers and addresses the issue of excessive overtime, Johnson said. The NMFA covers about 75,000 union freight members. Leaders from freight local unions will meet on January 8, 2008 in Washington, D.C. to approve the tentative contract, which would pave the way for members to vote on the agreement.

TMI, Trucking Management, Inc., is the primary multi-employer bargaining arm of the unionized freight trucking industry. The subsidiaries include Yellow Transportation, Roadway Express, USF Holland and New Penn.

Founded in 1903, the Teamsters Union represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

I wonder if they'll wait till YRC votes to ratify (if they do) before they start to talk with ABF? Hopefully things move at a fast pace... All I want for Christmas is a good contract we can live with...

I hope so to i think they will push that pse service? in the west.

don't be afraid of the pse service as it is not all that bad, in fact it creates work and jobs for end of the line terminals
however the meet and greets and relay points (expedited linehaul) can be either bad or good
the breakbulks will nonetheless suffer to a degree as once they establish what they refer to as nxdp points and the expedited linehaul points those loads will now bypass the break for obvious reasons
the amount they suffer is dependant upon whether they are overstaffed or understaffed

“This is an excellent agreement,” said Johnson, Director of the Teamsters National Freight Division and lead negotiator for the union. “It provides good wage increases and protects members’ jobs and their health, welfare and pension benefits. It also allows the unionized freight companies to better compete with the non-union companies and gives the unionized companies opportunities to grow business in new areas.”
this is the crux of what we will get or not get or give up or not give up
It also allows the unionized freight companies to better compete with the non-union companies and gives the unionized companies opportunities to grow business in new areas.
this is the whole ball of wax right here
how bout a little insight here tyson so we all don't have to hold our breath for a month

I hope so to i think they will push that pse service? in the west.

I know that his sounds too pro company, but the pse service is whats going to save our butts.

Theres a bunch of new customers and we've recaptured some old business that we've lost to the competition. I know that they are running long haul freight, on these moves, but, the expedited transit time is turning heads by our customers.

If we could only get the company to tell the darn truth about what the heck is going on, with the freight.

When you ask the management about some of this stuff, the lie lie lie. I we'd give the butt wipes stories like this they'd fire us for dishonesty.

Premium Service

I know that his sounds too pro company, but the pse service is whats going to save our butts.

Theres a bunch of new customers and we've recaptured some old business that we've lost to the competition. I know that they are running long haul freight, on these moves, but, the expedited transit time is turning heads by our customers.

If we could only get the company to tell the darn truth about what the heck is going on, with the freight.

When you ask the management about some of this stuff, the lie lie lie. I we'd give the butt wipes stories like this they'd fire us for dishonesty.

You are correct. If we are going to survive we must give as good if not better service than Fedex, ConWay etc. Our customers are demanding one & two day service to avoid warehousing & reduce inventory. The customers will do business with the company that helps their business. That's a no brainer. There will always be demand for long haul but the profit is in the one & two day lanes.
Probably the UPACK business is what is keeping us profitable.
I don't know what is being proposed or what YRC agreed to but the freight industry is changing & we can't do business like we did 20, 10, or even 5 years ago.
Like you I,m not being pro company but we must face reality that everything changes & we must change to survive.
I will have to look closely at the agreement before I will vote yes but I want to see what the company is offering before I vote no.

I have to say, from what I've seen, the majority of average managers are too busy trying to keep up with all the paperwork involved in tracking everything from hours worked to how much toilet paper a terminal uses (and which driver uses the most :biglaugh:) to try to shaft anyone by sending linehaul freight RPM. I believe the computer routes the bills, and unless someone manually changes things, that's how most decisions are made. Upper management probably has a better handle on what is going on, but trying to get info from them is like pulling teeth. Don't be too quick to blame everything on your local management since they may be as much in the dark as anyone else. I know that at some terminals there are managers who try to act like they know everything, and are lord of all, but that's just bluster coming from insecurity and should be ignored as much as possible. For info, I am an RPM driver, and I have seen an increase in new shipments coming from and into my terminal. I hope this is a trend we can continue, not block, without costing anyone their job. Making a better future at ABF for us all.:1036316054::soapbox: Stepping off the soapbox now...

From what I hear the Union will sit down with ABF in Febuary of 08 to negotiate the NMFA.My thinking is after YRC votes on the tentative agreement. I like to see what the new agreement has to offer.

From what I hear the Union will sit down with ABF in Febuary of 08 to negotiate the NMFA.My thinking is after YRC votes on the tentative agreement. I like to see what the new agreement has to offer.
Just curious where you got that tidbit... Hopefully, somewhere more reliable than the old linehaul rumor mill???

Just curious where you got that tidbit... Hopefully, somewhere more reliable than the old linehaul rumor mill???

Don't get upset Brother. I was just pickin' at you. I saw your post about being a RPM driver that's all. Heck I know how rumors work too. I been around the block several time myself.

Don't get upset Brother. I was just pickin' at you. I saw your post about being a RPM driver that's all. Heck I know how rumors work too. I been around the block several time myself.

No problem, I just have seen a fair amount of mean spirited closed minded posts on here (not from anyone in particular), and I guess I get a little touchy... It's hard to see a tongue in a cheek on a message board... If I remember correctly aren't you road out of 052?

No problem, I just have seen a fair amount of mean spirited closed minded posts on here (not from anyone in particular), and I guess I get a little touchy... It's hard to see a tongue in a cheek on a message board... If I remember correctly aren't you road out of 052?