ABF | Coo Updates

hangbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
I would appreciate hearing how the recent change-of operations are working out so far. Here is the latest on the coo from Ontario Oregon 490 to Pendleton Oregon 635. First some background: The committee gave local 670 and their steward 7 MINUTES notice to prepare for the hearing! It was an afterthought apparently at the hearing. Needless to say, it was approved. 6 drivers walked away rather than move. 2 went to fedex; 2 to reddaway; 1 took layoff and 1 bought his own truck. Now they are having trouble with rooms for the Salt Lake City 149 drivers laying in Pendleton. The guaranteed rooms are full and so the SLC drivers are having to drop their sets and bobtail to other motels becuz there is no cab after midnight in town. When the Pendleton turn drivers show up, there is no tractor to pull their set with. They have been told that during the Pendleton Roundup rodeo this summer there will be NO ROOMS anywhere in town for the entire week of this event! BTW: one driver just told me that they are including their contractual 90 day room allowance as part of their gross income and deducting taxes based on the total amount, resulting in more withholding being taken out. Since unreimbursed employee business expenses are no longer allowed by the IRS, how will this affect their 2019 taxes? I assume they will have to file an additional form to get this removed from their gross taxable income next year to get their refunds correct. What a mess.... Time will tell if their customers will be better served or not.

I would appreciate hearing how the recent change-of operations are working out so far. Here is the latest on the coo from Ontario Oregon 490 to Pendleton Oregon 635. First some background: The committee gave local 670 and their steward 7 MINUTES notice to prepare for the hearing! It was an afterthought apparently at the hearing. Needless to say, it was approved. 6 drivers walked away rather than move. 2 went to fedex; 2 to reddaway; 1 took layoff and 1 bought his own truck. Now they are having trouble with rooms for the Salt Lake City 149 drivers laying in Pendleton. The guaranteed rooms are full and so the SLC drivers are having to drop their sets and bobtail to other motels becuz there is no cab after midnight in town. When the Pendleton turn drivers show up, there is no tractor to pull their set with. They have been told that during the Pendleton Roundup rodeo this summer there will be NO ROOMS anywhere in town for the entire week of this event! BTW: one driver just told me that they are including their contractual 90 day room allowance as part of their gross income and deducting taxes based on the total amount, resulting in more withholding being taken out. Since unreimbursed employee business expenses are no longer allowed by the IRS, how will this affect their 2019 taxes? I assume they will have to file an additional form to get this removed from their gross taxable income next year to get their refunds correct. What a mess.... Time will tell if their customers will be better served or not.
So, they took time off one leg and added it to another? What the heck? Ontario is 6 hours from PTL-145. Is Pendleton now just the meet point for the Portland drivers?

So, they took time off one leg and added it to another? What the heck? Ontario is 6 hours from PTL-145. Is Pendleton now just the meet point for the Portland drivers?
No, Ont 490 moved 10 drivers to Pendleton Oregon 635. SLC now runs 149 to 635 Pendleton and goes to bed. The Pendleton drivers( former 490 drivers) now run Portland turns and Seattle turns and Tacoma turns. The Port 145 turns are pieces of cake, but the Seattle and Tacoma turns aren't going to work worth a darn this winter, what with only a 15 min cushion on the 11 hrs driving time and all the chaining and snow and fog and ice involved. Also SLC is going to have real problems making Pendleton in the winter. But they were reminded of that..... The Old Guard at The Fort knew better. These new folks are fixin' to get a lesson. And the customers will be the losers. The smart money says they will go to sleepers like Yellow is doing out here or else purchased trans when they lose their drivers. There's some pretty disgusted drivers in Pendleton right now. I'll bet you will see the company offer 635 to anyone in the system if they will move themselves and go on the bottom of the board before this is over just to get qualified drivers out there. Remember, you have to have a triples certification to work there. The new drivers they are training in Portland can't pull triples for 1 year after coming out of school, which is putting an extra burden on those who are triples certified to clean up what they have to leave behind. It's really sad to watch this... After 33 years of running those roads for these folks, I KNOW it is going to fail often enough to become a logistical nightmare. I think they are counting on everyone going into their emergency driving hours to make this work, but that is only available if you encounter conditions you did not know existed before departure. You can't start out under those conditions and use those hours, as well as encountering normal and expected traffic delays due to routine heavy commuter traffic flows. The ELD's were supposed to correct this. Yeah, right....

No, Ont 490 moved 10 drivers to Pendleton Oregon 635. SLC now runs 149 to 635 Pendleton and goes to bed. The Pendleton drivers( former 490 drivers) now run Portland turns and Seattle turns and Tacoma turns. The Port 145 turns are pieces of cake, but the Seattle and Tacoma turns aren't going to work worth a darn this winter, what with only a 15 min cushion on the 11 hrs driving time and all the chaining and snow and fog and ice involved. Also SLC is going to have real problems making Pendleton in the winter. But they were reminded of that..... The Old Guard at The Fort knew better. These new folks are fixin' to get a lesson. And the customers will be the losers. The smart money says they will go to sleepers like Yellow is doing out here or else purchased trans when they lose their drivers. There's some pretty disgusted drivers in Pendleton right now. I'll bet you will see the company offer 635 to anyone in the system if they will move themselves and go on the bottom of the board before this is over just to get qualified drivers out there. Remember, you have to have a triples certification to work there. The new drivers they are training in Portland can't pull triples for 1 year after coming out of school, which is putting an extra burden on those who are triples certified to clean up what they have to leave behind. It's really sad to watch this... After 33 years of running those roads for these folks, I KNOW it is going to fail often enough to become a logistical nightmare. I think they are counting on everyone going into their emergency driving hours to make this work, but that is only available if you encounter conditions you did not know existed before departure. You can't start out under those conditions and use those hours, as well as encountering normal and expected traffic delays due to routine heavy commuter traffic flows. The ELD's were supposed to correct this. Yeah, right....
Curious about the sleeper option. We ran those from 145-165. Last I heard when I retired was the company was doing away with the sleeper teams, except out West here, but I haven’t seen the old KW sleeper tractors on I-5 in quite a while. And you’re right about that 635-145 run...I-84 gets closed down A LOT in the winter.

Curious about the sleeper option. We ran those from 145-165. Last I heard when I retired was the company was doing away with the sleeper teams, except out West here, but I haven’t seen the old KW sleeper tractors on I-5 in quite a while. And you’re right about that 635-145 run...I-84 gets closed down A LOT in the winter.
They did eliminate the sleeper runs on I-5 to LA and back, but they still have the sleeper trucks parked in San Berdu and portland, and are using them as daycab equip for the singleman runs out of Portland. They would need more sleepers to set up a SLC west coast sleeper operation like Yellow has. But that may be the only way to keep the customer base happy out here. The problem with the SLC lay run is going both directions in the winter. Its about a 565 mile run now, I think. IF they make Pendleton going over they still have get back home again. Imagine chaining up to get over cabbage and again on Ladd canyon and THEN hitting the SLC commute traffic from Ogden into the yard. Who knows. I'm just speculating. I'm retired now too, so I no longer have a dog in the fight, but I do still have a lot of friends that are pretty miserable (and worried) right now. It just looks like they are going to need a pretty big shovel to dig their way out of this hole. I can't remember how long the company has to wait under a coo before they can review it in committee and make changes. 6 mos? Von probably knows, if he's reading this.

Yes let's start the sleeper operation then we can go broke like Yrc. I have been there double clock time while chaining and all road closures. Not to mention the single man operations we have are much more efficient. And abf is having a hard time finding drivers now nobody wants to run sleeper's unless you have no experience and are looking for a start in the industry. All you have to do is look at all of the yrc freight scattered along I 84 in the winter probably not a good idea. You never know the same person who thought this change to Pendleton was good might be foolish enough to try sleeper's.

Yes let's start the sleeper operation then we can go broke like Yrc. I have been there double clock time while chaining and all road closures. Not to mention the single man operations we have are much more efficient. And abf is having a hard time finding drivers now nobody wants to run sleeper's unless you have no experience and are looking for a start in the industry. All you have to do is look at all of the yrc freight scattered along I 84 in the winter probably not a good idea. You never know the same person who thought this change to Pendleton was good might be foolish enough to try sleeper's.
Yeah. That is the problem. The old guard (Robert Young and John Dale, Sr. VP of trans.) kept us out of sleepers back when Yellow went to sleepers over 25 yrs ago. ABF Pres. Stubblefield wanted to do the same to us and Robert Young quietly quashed it, or so the rumor goes. I always believed Robert Young cared deeply for the company his father built, and I respected him for that. I well remember one of our drivers say " when Robert Young and John Dale retire, we better get our resumes in order" He never lived to see how right he was. These new folks are cut from different cloth.They will stay with this until the wheels start to come off, and then it will get bad quick, with equipment parked everywhere this winter. The problem is, that out west here the logical, workable break points don't line up with adequate available facilities to conduct singleman operations. Those mtns just to the east of Pendleton get in the way and slow things down. Others (fedex) that tried this had to readjust their runs. These young whiz kids think sleepers are neat. One set of trailers from origin to destination non-stop! But they have proven that singleman operations can keep up with sleepers efficiently IF the dispatching is done correctly. They gave up on the I-5 sleepers. You know, they studied this change and ran test runs for almost 2yrs and Tim Thorne even rode across the route with an Ontario driver in the winter when he had to chain up, they just couldn't pull the trigger to do it. Then all of a sudden, they tack it on the end of this last coo,as I say, almost as an afterthought. It wasn't even listed on the schedule for the hearings. Local 670 got 7 minutes notice to prepare.

Yeah. That is the problem. The old guard (Robert Young and John Dale, Sr. VP of trans.) kept us out of sleepers back when Yellow went to sleepers over 25 yrs ago. ABF Pres. Stubblefield wanted to do the same to us and Robert Young quietly quashed it, or so the rumor goes. I always believed Robert Young cared deeply for the company his father built, and I respected him for that. I well remember one of our drivers say " when Robert Young and John Dale retire, we better get our resumes in order" He never lived to see how right he was. These new folks are cut from different cloth.They will stay with this until the wheels start to come off, and then it will get bad quick, with equipment parked everywhere this winter. The problem is, that out west here the logical, workable break points don't line up with adequate available facilities to conduct singleman operations. Those mtns just to the east of Pendleton get in the way and slow things down. Others (fedex) that tried this had to readjust their runs. These young whiz kids think sleepers are neat. One set of trailers from origin to destination non-stop! But they have proven that singleman operations can keep up with sleepers efficiently IF the dispatching is done correctly. They gave up on the I-5 sleepers. You know, they studied this change and ran test runs for almost 2yrs and Tim Thorne even rode across the route with an Ontario driver in the winter when he had to chain up, they just couldn't pull the trigger to do it. Then all of a sudden, they tack it on the end of this last coo,as I say, almost as an afterthought. It wasn't even listed on the schedule for the hearings. Local 670 got 7 minutes notice to prepare.
Key factor you brought up is the Young family is no longer part of the equation.

Key factor you brought up is the Young family is no longer part of the equation.
YES.

And now Self-Driving Trucks Are Now Delivering Refrigerators You will sleep till a town comes in to view, then start to DRIVE at a LOWER PAY. LIFE suck"S

Then INSIDE DELIVERY, where would like this?

SORRY--robotruck

Last edited: