Holland | Terminal Closings

They may call guys in the order they applied. But they will work the first ones that can work when they are called. I dont think we will know much at all about how much freight or how busy it may get until a few weeks pass by.

answers about warn act

March 20, 2009: USF Holland is closing terminals and directing freight to YRC and New Penn.

USF Holland announced it is closing terminals in Albany, Allentown, Baltimore, Bedford, Mass., Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Syracuse, Wilkes-Barre, Penn., Richmond, and Wichita.

These locations represent operations that USF Holland absorbed from the former USF Red Star and also the former home terminal for USF Dugan.

The last day of work for most Teamsters at these terminals will be April 3. Teamsters at locations with more than fifty employees will be entitled to pay under the WARN Act which requires qualifying employers to give sixty days notice before closing their doors.

The union can and should bargain to extend WARN Act pay to all affected members.

Many of the Teamsters at the closing terminals lost their jobs in 2004 when the Hoffa administration botched a strike at USF Red Star and the company shut its doors. Eventually, the IBT brokered an agreement to get some Red Star Teamsters put to work at USF Holland. Now, these Teamsters are losing their jobs again.

Holland is encouraging customers to move their shipments to other YRCW carriers: New Penn and YRC. Richmond and Wichita areas will be serviced
you can find this thread at Teamsters for a Democratic Union (teamsters for a democratic union)

The union can and should bargain to extend WARN Act pay to all affected members.
Based on the letter that the company sent to Hoffa, I wouldn't be very confident that the Union is going to "extend" anything. In that letter, it states that the company requests that the Union "release Holland from the 30 day contractual duties". (regarding the 30 day notification) This is another one of YRCW's crisis'. The Union is "back on their heals", in my opinion. I don't see to much challenging the company, coming from the Union, anytime soon.:furious:

Based on the letter that the company sent to Hoffa, I wouldn't be very confident that the Union is going to "extend" anything. In that letter, it states that the company requests that the Union "release Holland from the 30 day contractual duties". (regarding the 30 day notification) This is another one of YRCW's crisis'. The Union is "back on their heals", in my opinion. I don't see to much challenging the company, coming from the Union, anytime soon.:furious:
This why it should be done with a simple contact with the NLRB. What happened to the 5 years USF promissed the IBT that they would remain open in the N.E. this should be enforced also, SHOW US THE MONEY. I glad to be getting away from this DISHONEST company.:bowdown::clap:

Everybody keeps talking about this five year agreement between Holland and the I.B.T.yet no one can produce a copy of it.Just another urban myth?

Ok YRC if you can't contractually do the right thing , then IBT, immediately put these men to work at the sister company chosen to takeover the area previously serviced by Holland. Please don't turn your back on us again. GRIZZ

Everybody keeps talking about this five year agreement between Holland and the I.B.T.yet no one can produce a copy of it.Just another urban myth?

Didn't Tyson Johnson use that when they tried to close the Holland terminal in Albany NY last year?

Ok YRC if you can't contractually do the right thing , then IBT, immediately put these men to work at the sister company chosen to takeover the area previously serviced by Holland. Please don't turn your back on us again. GRIZZ
Amen, Brother.

I'm so bummed to hear about this. Especially with all the talk about YRC and USF staying separate. They constantly said USF would not be affected. Of course I knew better. I hope the USF Reddaway guys look hard at this since the same thing is being said about them. They will not be affected. I myself never believed them. I wish all you Holland guys the best of luck. I also agree there is life after YRC. No one should be going through this because of mis management. And to think Bill is still heading the show. Sickening.

I don't believe there will be much outbound freight out of these terminals, being customers were already calling and telling our terminal to come get the spotted EMPTY trls from their docks. Bill counts the past month were on the up and up as was the weights,but not ANYMORE. How do they still have the "00s" to claim a lose in business due to the N.E.?:bowdown::duh:

Most likely terminated with the sale of USF to YRCW.:nutkick:

I believe what they are talking about is when Holland moved into the northeast, someone said there was a 5 year agreement to keep those terminals open. That was in 2004 and has nothing to do with the USF sale to YRC.
Problem is, no one can seem to find that agreement, on paper at least, to substantiate that claim.

I hope the best for all of the holland guys and we need to keep as many of the teamster guys working that we can. YRC, USF or ABF. There is enough freight for all of us. Stop fedex or conway from stealing it.

WARN Act or Duty of Fair Rep Claim

What is going on at Holland?

Some you may remember I rep'd the Red Star drivers when the IBT wouldn't pursue a WARN Act case. I am interested in finding out what the facts are here before the IBT sells you guys down the river.

Mr. Chuck E Esquire. The original agreement with the I.BT was for USF Holland to open in the former Red Star jurisdictions and to remain for 5 years. If they did not agree to this they would have had to wait 2 years to re-enter the area per IBT contract at the time. Approx. 3 years ago they tried to close Albany and Syracuse. The I.B.T refused them for doing so. I for one quit New Penn to get back to my local for pension and medical expecting them to stay open till Sept 09 when I could retire with the required years of service. It seems I should never have come back to these cheats as their are no jobs for us as New Penn Roadway and Yellow's own are laid off.

Mr. Chuck E Esquire. The original agreement with the I.BT was for USF Holland to open in the former Red Star jurisdictions and to remain for 5 years. If they did not agree to this they would have had to wait 2 years to re-enter the area per IBT contract at the time. Approx. 3 years ago they tried to close Albany and Syracuse. The I.B.T refused them for doing so. I for one quit New Penn to get back to my local for pension and medical expecting them to stay open till Sept 09 when I could retire with the required years of service. It seems I should never have come back to these cheats as their are no jobs for us as New Penn Roadway and Yellow's own are laid off.
He is right on the money with this statement. Even the top dogs at New Penn in Reading where saying they can't even hire us guys with their guys on lay off.....What gives, our Union doesn't even know which way to turn or even go.

"Even the top dogs at New Penn in Reading where saying they can't even hire us guys with their guys on lay off"
As I posted on another thread, Cinnaminson called back all 14 from layoff..
I hope you have some teeth to the usf/redstar agreement but, I doubt if it would be considered re-entering the area if they close up terminals in that area...The freight may be going to NewPenn, but it doesnt mean we will keep it...
Good luck in how ever this turns out