Terminal Closings

SPAM

TB Lurker
Credits
Wilson will be closing the following terminals effective immediately.

Bristol Tn.
Winchester Va.
Asheville NC
Macon Ga
Fulton Ga

In a letter sent out today to all of the employees, S.Gast said the move was to better serve their customers. He went on to say that the area of coverage vacated by the closing of these terminals would now be serviced by other terminals that are as far away as 100 miles or more from the closed locations. I'm not sure how that move could improve things at all. Stay tuned.

It's only a few weeks,before the Tags run out...SEPT... Then what...
I'm Really Sorry for All the dedicated employees that are effected here. My Prayers go to All involved. There seems to be a Big Picture here that know one wants to see, I Hope the Best for All My Friends still at The Big W. Good Luck...

The management at WTVA, although in it's third generation, has failed it's employees miserably. It's been almost ten years people,.......ten years since any appreciation was shown to the employees with a pay raise. Ever increasing demands have been placed on the employees for more production with absolutely NO gratitude given for a job well done. And it would seem that the powers that be are always sending someone around to the terminals to try and discover the problem without ever thinking that somewhere among their ranks lies the problem. In fact, most of their ranks are indeed their biggest problem. There are plenty of other reasons why it is apparent that the company is dying a slow and painful death. Far too many to name here. However, from just one former employee to you all, if you can get out, go! There are other companies out here who would be proud to have you and are willing to show you how much they appreciate your efforts.

The management at WTVA, although in it's third generation, has failed it's employees miserably. It's been almost ten years people,.......ten years since any appreciation was shown to the employees with a pay raise. Ever increasing demands have been placed on the employees for more production with absolutely NO gratitude given for a job well done. And it would seem that the powers that be are always sending someone around to the terminals to try and discover the problem without ever thinking that somewhere among their ranks lies the problem. In fact, most of their ranks are indeed their biggest problem. There are plenty of other reasons why it is apparent that the company is dying a slow and painful death. Far too many to name here. However, from just one former employee to you all, if you can get out, go! There are other companies out here who would be proud to have you and are willing to show you how much they appreciate your efforts.
The grass is not always greener on the other side . This is what the industry has become. Go Union or go home.You guys are at their mercy.
Good luck to all that are laid off or find different employment.

The grass is not always greener on the other side . This is what the industry has become. Go Union or go home.You guys are at their mercy.

i will allow a responses to this post but fare warning, if it turns into a Union pissing match i will delete them all

Wilson went thru an organizing effort some years ago and a bunch of drivers were fired. But back during those days, there were only a few trucking companies located around Fisherville and the company really had the "upper hand". During the years, major trucking companies have moved into the Valley and if a driver with a good record certainly can find employment. The competition for freight is "fierce" here, so I really do not believe that Wilson would or could take the same position as they did back in the early 70s.

Trying to make the situation better at WTVA right now by any means available is the equivalent of taking a road splattered opossum to the vet for a band-aid,.......it's a little late for that friends.

Wilson went thru an organizing effort some years ago and a bunch of drivers were fired. But back during those days, there were only a few trucking companies located around Fisherville and the company really had the "upper hand". During the years, major trucking companies have moved into the Valley and if a driver with a good record certainly can find employment. The competition for freight is "fierce" here, so I really do not believe that Wilson would or could take the same position as they did back in the early 70s.

They would close the doors before that happened.Egos would not allow a union to tell these guys what to do.

Also,back when Buddy was running the company,a union wasn't needed.I was lucky enough to work there a couple of years before his passing and heard countless other drivers talk about the way he treated his employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be assured that my post wasn't a complaint so much as it was an observation. Myself and many others did and are still moving on from the circus that is WTVA. I'm not sure what that has to do with any type of organizing nor do I know how that would benefit the situation at all in this case. That being said, it was just an opinion and I accept that for sure. But, mine was an opinion as well.

Heard last night that a bunch of office girls in clt quit, and that freight is REALLY slow there...everybody is thinking the doors are gonna close in Dec??

I don't think they will close and for the sake of the friends i have still there i hope not. The new man in charge is trying to reorganize and i hope it works. I still say the first thing to do is give the employees some money. It's been 10 yrs guys, come on.