SAIA | terminals closing

need more concrete info.

I called cny and the phone is disconnected. Called pdh and was told they are waiting for the last drivers to come in and shut down. IT AINT RIGHT. Corporate allowing these people to become unemployed all for the sake of saving money instead of the old fashioned way ....MAKING MONEY.

Welcome to the boards nightrider. Sorry to here that. It's tough times for everyone in the transportation sector these days. Hopefully it will turn around soon.

Got 2 phone calls late last night. Both were from Saia linehaul drvers and was told by both that the Grand Island, Nebr terminal got the axe too. When I go to work in the mornings and the gate is open, I'm going to have a good day. If it's closed and I can't get in, it will be time to get my resume out. Am a real good friend with the one linehaul driver from Grand Island. Really enjoyed visiting with him before he left the Omaha yard in the mornings. We are both former CLBT linehaul drivers. What else does this company have up it's sleeves????

Corporate allowing these people to become unemployed all for the sake of saving money instead of the old fashioned way ....MAKING MONEY.

I really don't understand this. Believe me, I HATE corporate greed, especially at the expense of the common worker. But closing these small terminals was not surprising at all.
If we Saia drivers can agree on something, it's that this company is out to make money. Everything else is a very distant second.

At our terminal there is a few guys that transferred from other terminals because they were going to get laid off at thier barn. Seems like Saia does work with some people.....gotta appreciate that.

it was inevitable

hey all,i was told santa rosa,ca and holbrook az are closing..these are small terminals,more like satellite terminals,now if saia does have to close them to save, well its gotta be done,they will probable offer them transfers,i hope, we will no more in a couple days...we have a line haul meeting sun i no it will be talked about.

i'm sure there will be tranfers offered. if a terminal closes, another has to cover their area. i hate that it is happening, but as stated earlier they were probably really tiny terminals where it was costing more in overhead than the freight was producing. isn't there a run out of CLT to CNY? i wonder what effect that will have on that run. we have a shipper in GVL who ships 1-12 skids a day to somewhere in GRI...wonder which of our terminals will be covering that now. i wish the best to all. i do hope the company does not drop the ball on this and finds jobs for everyone effected. it's a tough industry out there right now, but i seemed to have gotten better....maybe not just yet.

As I was given to understand, all five terminals were located in areas that produced little or no outbound freight. That's a lot of overhead. I believe the employees will or have been given the opportunity to transfer.

The territory they served will be absorbed into the nearest terminal.

As I was given to understand, all five terminals were located in areas that produced little or no outbound freight. That's a lot of overhead. I believe the employees will or have been given the opportunity to transfer.

The territory they served will be absorbed into the nearest terminal.

if that's the case, look out RAL. they only produce 1-2 loads a night.

Look out GNC. I was told today that there is a pick up on my run. Dispatch has pushed it over till the next day for four days telling the customer "we don't go there very often ". Get this now. 3 pallets that total 2000 pounds. On the back side of that building there is a flooring company that is BEGGING us to pick up their freight and ship it out west (CA,WA,NV) but "we don't go there very often". How do you stop this madness without getting fired???

It may be time to send an e mail to corporate and get their attention. If we can build up the business then we will "go there more often."

damn right! if the revenue is enough to warrant going a bit out of the way, some heads need to be busted to make sure it happens.