ABF | Thanksgiving

shrink wrap

TB Lurker
Credits
Is now a regular workday for road drivers. What a terrible place this has become. There's a memo here in Atlanta. Used to say they would have everyone home, now it's a regular work day...

Shrink wrap, this is not a normal work day for us but ABF usually posts we 'will work Thanksgiving as needed.' That being said, inforoundtable posted we will be working on Thanksgiving. And that is new this year. If you don't want to work Thanksgiving call in sick. No one is going to say anything.

Work on Thanksgiving so u can be cancelled the next couple of trips because the city people are off Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday.....nothing gets picked up, nothing to move....

Exactly! But I get paid 4 hours each day. I usually try to work as many holidays as possible to make up for the shortage in pay I get when compared to other freight companies.

You cannot be forced to work on holidays..Period. No need to call in sick, tell them you are not working the holiday. Same goes for Friday, Xmas Eve, Xmas day, new years day, Mem Day, Labor day, Ind day, Bday, Anniv day. Stop believing their bullshit and not work if you choose not to. Another chance to show us their strength and our zero representation union.. Sickening.

FYI, I have been here 15 years, Not once have i ever worked on a holiday when i did not want to. Never had 1 word said to me nor do I know anyone who has. I saw the inforoundtable post, so i see where you think you have to work. Fact is you dont, They will find plenty of divorced, half dead drivers to work who have no lives, as well as run PT til their is no more freight. If we did not get holidays off, they would not be in our contract as paid holidays= paid days work=you dont have to report.

I have heard a lot of guys says you don’t have 2 work on a hard holiday, but where is the proof. Does it state that in the nmfa? My terminal will say 2 me we’re does it say that at. Been at abf 13 years, so I won’t work if I don’t want 2, but trying 2 help the younger guys. Thanks

it is in abfnmfa, or nmfa. does it say word fir word you dont have to? no..but is anything that clear. without looking, it does list all paid holidays. paid holidays are considered days worked. i run 6 day bid, off thursdays. in my case i will opt to work friday, and be paid 8 hol, 4 additional for working hol, plus mileage. but whenever contract states compensated hol, any of those they cant force. or, why fight for them, negotiate? they just bliw smoke up the rear. i see guys feared into working every year. tell them no, have family plans,, challenge to send a letter.

About 4 years ago, we fought a grievance that should have gone to the National Panel about what a “holiday” is, and whether companies could force work...from the bottom( violating seniority...excluding the “force”)....

Instead , it was heard at the Local panel......a violation of the contract, in my opinion.....and, of course,.....we lost.

They also threatened to fire me as steward ....for “promoting a work stoppage”.......because I told guys they did not have to work on Christmas Eve.....

Our........”leaders”........are firmly on the side of the company.....

Why designate a “Holiday” if you can be forced? If that’s the case, make ALL the “Holidays” personal days, and let guys take off in seniority order......(and those with religious convictions sue the company/Union......)

My understanding is, You cannot cease operations in some areas, give guys holidays off, then force others to work. Its either a compensated day off or it isnt. 1 contract covers all. they cannot pick and choose who can partake in a holiday and who cant. This would fall under "past practice". In other words it is not stated in local cartage agreement, holidays off and otr agreement works them. It is agreed and understood these are time off days in NMFA. Them manipulating is BS.

A Holiday is a Holiday is a Holiday. If it is specifically named as a Holiday.....like Christmas.......then you expect the entire board to mark off.
Now,....if there is VOLUNTARY extra work, ....post a list and see who you get.

If you don't get anybody.......then the terminal is closed for the Holiday.
The Union is allowing the company to gradually tear up the Holiday language.....

It starts with "voluntary",.....goes to "force from the bottom",.......and sooner or later it will be mandatory to "cover your bid" on the Holiday.....

Anyone ask our "leadership" if they've brushed up on their punctuation as far as "periods" and "commas" in the contract.....
They'll know exactly what you're talking about......

You cannot be forced to work on holidays..Period. No need to call in sick, tell them you are not working the holiday. Same goes for Friday, Xmas Eve, Xmas day, new years day, Mem Day, Labor day, Ind day, Bday, Anniv day. Stop believing their :horseshit: and not work if you choose not to. Another chance to show us their strength and our zero representation union.. Sickening.
What is xmas?

A Holiday is a Holiday is a Holiday. If it is specifically named as a Holiday.....like Christmas.......then you expect the entire board to mark off.
Now,....if there is VOLUNTARY extra work, ....post a list and see who you get.

If you don't get anybody.......then the terminal is closed for the Holiday.
The Union is allowing the company to gradually tear up the Holiday language.....

It starts with "voluntary",.....goes to "force from the bottom",.......and sooner or later it will be mandatory to "cover your bid" on the Holiday.....

Anyone ask our "leadership" if they've brushed up on their punctuation as far as "periods" and "commas" in the contract.....
They'll know exactly what you're talking about......

I worked 1 Thanksgiving and never a Christmas in 35 years, they canceled all bids on holidays, if you wanted
to work, you told them you were holding for your bid, they would usually run you.
If they had "hot loads" they posted a notice and always got someone to work.

I have never in 31 years worked any of the holidays mentioned above and have been paid a full 8 hours for them. This will mark 31 this year. All the paid holidays above are mentioned in our contract.
I'm not working any day I can get paid for period. And I don't. I take every vacation day. Sick day and holi day. Lol.
I'm not sure how your contract is worded. But it sounds like it's not very clear.

At my terminal (carhaul) our mangement is very clear that we won't be running on the holidays , even states if the greedy ones want to go and run on those days they WILLNOT get the extra 4 hrs. Here are my weekend plans be in wed for 1 o'clock board pick and load and then park until Monday, just have to be out of the yard by 7 am.

I have heard a lot of guys says you don’t have 2 work on a hard holiday, but where is the proof. Does it state that in the nmfa? My terminal will say 2 me we’re does it say that at. Been at abf 13 years, so I won’t work if I don’t want 2, but trying 2 help the younger guys. Thanks

News flash, your not NMFA.

News flash, your not NMFA.

That is true, Brother,....but much of the language is similar.
And,....the Teamster's deliberate breaking up of the NMFA will go down in history as one of the most nefarious betrayals of the rank-and-file. We DID lose all our power........And, our so-called...."leaders"......act like that comedian who goes: "What? What?"...when he does something egregiously stupid....

And....did they?

There's only two answers that apply to the IBT's allowing the breakup of the NMFA..........
Either monumentally incompetent......
Or....criminally complicit........

And the terrible part is that,......I can't really decide which one they're guilty of..........Guilty, at any rate......

For general information:.....There is no mention of "hard Holiday" in the ABF NMFA.........There may be in some of the Supplements,...but not in my Supplement.
It was taken as granted, a stated, day-specific Holiday,....like Christmas, or New Years Day.......was,..obviously,..a day you took off. This USED to be what separated the Union carriers from the non-Union carriers........

In our Supplement (W. Penna.),....there was a punctuation mark.....a "period"...that separated our Holidays into two groups, with different pay for each. Good Friday and Veteran's Day were paid at 8 hours,....and the rest of the Holidays were paid at time-and-a-half, 8 hour minimum...along with all hours worked.......if you "volunteered" to work them........

An IBT Officer had to have the "period" pointed out to him....(....He said: "Huh! I see what you mean.....But don't bring that grievance down to ERJAC, or I'll rule against it!..)

We lost that grievance at the Local level as far as the ability to turn down work on the Holiday,....but won the Holiday pay that was involved! How's that for a split decision? We were hoping for a deadlock....forcing a hearing at ERJAC,.....but the UNION Local panel members shot us down!

Too hot of a potato to be heard at ERJAC, in my Opinion.......

That is true, Brother,....but much of the language is similar.
And,....the Teamster's deliberate breaking up of the NMFA will go down in history as one of the most nefarious betrayals of the rank-and-file. We DID lose all our power........And, our so-called...."leaders"......act like that comedian who goes: "What? What?"...when he does something egregiously stupid....

And....did they?

There's only two answers that apply to the IBT's allowing the breakup of the NMFA..........
Either monumentally incompetent......
Or....criminally complicit........

And the terrible part is that,......I can't really decide which one they're guilty of..........Guilty, at any rate......

For general information:.....There is no mention of "hard Holiday" in the ABF NMFA.........There may be in some of the Supplements,...but not in my Supplement.
It was taken as granted, a stated, day-specific Holiday,....like Christmas, or New Years Day.......was,..obviously,..a day you took off. This USED to be what separated the Union carriers from the non-Union carriers........

In our Supplement (W. Penna.),....there was a punctuation mark.....a "period"...that separated our Holidays into two groups, with different pay for each. Good Friday and Veteran's Day were paid at 8 hours,....and the rest of the Holidays were paid at time-and-a-half, 8 hour minimum...along with all hours worked.......if you "volunteered" to work them........

An IBT Officer had to have the "period" pointed out to him....(....He said: "Huh! I see what you mean.....But don't bring that grievance down to ERJAC, or I'll rule against it!..)

We lost that grievance at the Local level as far as the ability to turn down work on the Holiday,....but won the Holiday pay that was involved! How's that for a split decision? We were hoping for a deadlock....forcing a hearing at ERJAC,.....but the UNION Local panel members shot us down!

Too hot of a potato to be heard at ERJAC, in my Opinion.......

The Teamsters didn't "break up" the NMFA, the NMFA disappeared because the hundreds of companies that made up the components of the NMFA went out of business or otherwise disappeared.

The Teamsters didn't "break up" the NMFA, the NMFA disappeared because the hundreds of companies that made up the components of the NMFA went out of business or otherwise disappeared.

Well........the NMFA was still in effect and ABF, and the four companies under the YRC umbrella were still in business,.....when the IBT recommended accepting a contract with a different time frame to the ABF Teamsters during the 2013 NMFA negotiations......

Which,.....in effect,.....broke up the NMFA.

When UPS bought Overnite, and imposed the “card check” language on their new acquisition,.....many people asked why the IBT didn’t insist that the new UPS Freight employees go under UPS’s contract........
Or,......as an LTL freight carrier, place them under the NMFA.....?.

Why did the IBT create a.......third contract.......when there were two perfectly good, tried and true, established contracts that UPS Freight would’ve fit into seamlessly?