Yellow | That White Freightliner.....

crJA1pW.jpg

Just think! had my dream and wish come thru, I could still be driving an old Yeller truck fur Big R &Y with 63 yrs seniority
and a 15% pay cut.
With my fuzz, I would team with Wong, kick BRG down a notch, BillyLo may get him on at Overdose.

International let my employer use a new tractor for city service. That was back when city rigs had gasoline engines. It was an evaluation unit & it would pull with the best diesel rigs & would pass everything but a gas pump. I think the engine was based on the DVT 573 diesel engine. I think the company used it for about two years. It was mainly used for a night shift city driver who ran between towns & dropped & picked up trailers.

International let my employer use a new tractor for city service. That was back when city rigs had gasoline engines. It was an evaluation unit & it would pull with the best diesel rigs & would pass everything but a gas pump. I think the engine was based on the DVT 573 diesel engine. I think the company used it for about two years. It was mainly used for a night shift city driver who ran between towns & dropped & picked up trailers.

We had 2 guys ran from Ashville to Charl. each night, one had a B60 gas burner, the other a COE IHC with 501 Red, 8 spd RR
You could not out do either one with a B61,673 or GMC with 671 Detroit.
They made this run each night, having nerve didn't hurt.

There was a LV 549 derivative called the V 605 in the early 70's that never made into production trucks but was rumored to have been in a few "test" trucks it was dropped because of the gas crisis in 73 and sold as a industrial engines.
B7530.JPG

There was a LV 549 derivative called the V 605 in the early 70's that never made into production trucks but was rumored to have been in a few "test" trucks it was dropped because of the gas crisis in 73 and sold as a industrial engines.
B7530.JPG
Years go Mack had a 707 6 cyl gas lover
Mack's 431 gas burner was hard on spark plugs as gas, with up draft carb. # 1 and 6 didn't last long.

B7530.JPG
This would have been in the mid 70's. It was a twin screw with a 10 speed with the butterfly hood. I didn't do anything to it. The International dealer checked it occasionally. The tractor was sent back to International. The DVT 573 was a "square" engine, the bore & stroke were the same. It was used in off road equipment & worked well. It was a quick accelerating engine which was needed for running hydraulics & the torque converter in the scrapers & front end loaders. It looked quite different than this engine.It had aluminum valve covers. I don't remember how the gasoline engine looked.
The city driver was an older guy that worked the late shift. He had a lot of fun out pulling & out running diesel tractors. He would get to a truck stop & drivers he had passed asked what engine the tractor had. They couldn't believe they had been out done by a gasoline engine. As I remember the average fuel mileage hovered in the 3-4 MPG range.

Last edited:
3-4 would have been good those early cab over Fords with the 477 gas motors got 1.8 to 2.2 when they dropped down to 1.8 it was time for a tune up..............................

477 and the 534 were the same engine the 477 gave you a extra .060 in the cylinder for more rebuilds.

Ours had a smaller engine, used in the city.
Our line tractor IHCs had the monster, hi HP, breath taking, JT Cummins, when you mashed your motor, they pinned you back in the seat.

There's people who still call International trucks "binders" even though Navistar and IHC aren't related anymore. IHC was sold to Case, and their agricultural division has been called Case IH (still in IHC red) ever since.

That reminds me of how New Holland bought Ford out of their tractors. The tractors are still Ford blue.

3-4 would have been good those early cab over Fords with the 477 gas motors got 1.8 to 2.2 when they dropped down to 1.8 it was time for a tune up..............................

I am not sure about the numbers on fuel mileage. I do remember thinking at the time that the carburetor jet sizes must have been about the same as the inside of a 12 ga. shotgun barrel.

There's people who still call International trucks "binders" even though Navistar and IHC aren't related anymore. IHC was sold to Case, and their agricultural division has been called Case IH (still in IHC red) ever since.

That reminds me of how New Holland bought Ford out of their tractors. The tractors are still Ford blue.

Ford bought New Holland, first go round if I'm not mistaken.
Ford started handling NH hay baler parts, saved me about a 30 mile trip.

Ford bought New Holland, first go round if I'm not mistaken.
Ford started handling NH hay baler parts, saved me about a 30 mile trip.
NH was bought by Fiat Agricultural at some point. It was after then that they bought Ford.

When FiatAgri bought Case, they had to sell Versatile (now owned by the Russians) which they got when NH bought Ford. Ford bought Versatile to get into the 4x4 articulated tractor market. Case IH owned Steiger, so it was considered anticompetitive for one company to own such a significant chunk of the market (damn near all of it).

Actually Ford bought New Holland from the Sperry Corp in the mid 80's and merged it in with their Ag division then sold it off in the early 90's to Fiat;
Fiat merged them into CNH Industrial and then IPO'd them it 2013

Actually Ford bought New Holland from the Sperry Corp in the mid 80's and merged it in with their Ag division then sold it off in the early 90's to Fiat;

That's what I thought too, I remember the sign on the building, Sperry New Holland'

That's right. New Holland was what they put on Ford's tractors after the agreement with Ford to use their name ended. Thanks for the reminder, my memory ain't the greatest sometimes.

WhiteE="Canadian Flyer, post: 1235703, member: 33971"]That's right. New Holland was what they put on Ford's tractors after the agreement with Ford to use their name ended. Thanks for the reminder, my memory ain't the greatest sometimes.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the club, on the memory thing.
You mentioned Steiger, I got to drive one at Ulmers S C while going to Jax. years ago, I stopped to admire the monster, I'd
never seen one, the guy let me drive it around a field.
Tried to trade him a 9000 White, he laughed at me.

WhiteE="Canadian Flyer, post: 1235703, member: 33971"]That's right. New Holland was what they put on Ford's tractors after the agreement with Ford to use their name ended. Thanks for the reminder, my memory ain't the greatest sometimes.
You mentioned Steiger, I got to drive one at Ulmers S C while going to Jax. years ago, I stopped to admire the monster, I'd
Tried to trade him a 9000 White, he laughed at me.[/QUOTE]
Those big, articulated 4x4 tractors are truly a sight to behold. Some of the newer ones have rubber tracks instead of wheels.

And that's without mentioning Big Bud.

Tried to trade him a 9000 White, he laughed at me.
Those big, articulated 4x4 tractors are truly a sight to behold. Some of the newer ones have rubber tracks instead of wheels.

And that's without mentioning Big Bud.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea!

Sat on I 40 one night for 4 hours, waiting for one of these big dogs to cross the road. One scary sight, Transforners beware!