The ‘future of trucking’ in 1964

The prototype of this truck stayed in Charlotte at Holman Moodys race shop for about 2 yrs.
Windshield got broken, cost 20 grand to replace.
NO, it was even less, about 2 mpg they claimed.
This thing caught fire at H&M's shop, it had an auto fire suppression system, but still burned the wires off.
A friend of mine ran the shop at H&M, Ford hauled iit away on a special lowboy, never to return again.
He said it was 13' tall

well i watch both videos, neither one addressed sleeping areas, unless the tilting passenger seat WAS the bed for the driver?

anyways, at least "some aerodynamics were being used, like the skirts and shape of the cab, but 96 feet long?

that would be a nice (but expensive) restoration project for some tv show.

well i watch both videos, neither one addressed sleeping areas, unless the tilting passenger seat WAS the bed for the driver?

anyways, at least "some aerodynamics were being used, like the skirts and shape of the cab, but 96 feet long?

that would be a nice (but expensive) restoration project for some tv show.

You're right about the shotgun seat, it was designed for sleep.
No trailers were with this unit, just tractor.

You're right about the shotgun seat, it was designed for sleep.
No trailers were with this unit, just tractor.
the video said that with trailers, it would be 96 feet long, and i did see a trailer.

and that passenger seat didn't look too comfortable to me, reminds me of my current recliner, yes, i can fall asleep in it, but wake up all achy as it's not really a very good position for a long sleep.

the video said that with trailers, it would be 96 feet long, and i did see a trailer.

and that passenger seat didn't look too comfortable to me, reminds me of my current recliner, yes, i can fall asleep in it, but wake up all achy as it's not really a very good position for a long sleep.

I was referring to the unit in Charl, it had no trailer.
They are not concerned about old age pains, don't need to take long sleeps, they need you hauling freight, get with the
program and help pay for this monstrosity!

Looks like a rejuvenated project from the 30's when Buckminster "Bucky" Fuller was creating vehicle and other designs.

2 mpg wasn't a good option regardless of how "quietly" the engine performed.
No Sleeper would still = "No Deal--No Sale".

Ford had some "better ideas" as we've seen yet some, like the truck, were bad ideas (possibly) rejuvenated.
- - - -
Siting as high as that appeared would have been a wee bit startling going under overpasses as well trees. 13' clearance where many "drivers" of today would commit ******* by hitting 12' 5" and up overpasses.

Last edited:
For your enjoyment or revulsion, Strange, Odd, Peculiar Trucks of The World:

I like the Japanese models however I do not believe the D.O.T. would approve as there appear to be some minor DISTRACTIONS.

General Motors Parade Of Progress beat the "novel idea" of Ford by 30 years.

Last edited:
Looks like a rejuvenated project from the 30's when Buckminster "Bucky" Fuller was creating vehicle and other designs.

2 mpg wasn't a good option regardless of how "quietly" the engine performed.
No Sleeper would still = "No Deal--No Sale".

Ford had some "better ideas" as we've seen yet some, like the truck, were bad ideas (possibly) rejuvenated.
- - - -
Siting as high as that appeared would have been a wee bit startling going under overpasses as well trees. 13' clearance where many "drivers" of today would commit ******* by hitting 12' 5" and up overpasses.

Innovative & new ideas are necessary for progress in the trucking industry but they must function in real world conditions.