Reddaway | The benifit of being non-union!

screwemwthasmle

TB Lurker
Credits
WELL HELL JUST GOT THE GREAT NEWS I AM NOW MAKING $19.45 AN HOUR! THATS GREAT IF YOU LIVE IN A TRAILER IN NORTH DAKOTA. 15% OF $22.88 IS $3.43! THATS LESS THAN WHAT MOST NON-UNION COMPANIES START YOU OUT AT. THATS WHAT SO GREAT ABOUT BEING NON-UNION YOU DONT HAVE TO VOTE ON THE PAYCUT.:biglaugh: THANKS ***** THAT COOL AIDE YOU MAKE IS THE BEST EVER! LETS GIVE A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO THE SACRAMENTO LINE DRIVERS WHO VOTED FOR THE DECERT, WOULDNT BE SAD IF THEY GOT A VISIT BY THE REPO-MAN!:eck13::eck13::eck13:

Usually it's the line that favors the union in a vote.
It's the line that carried the decert majority?
How were you guys able to see who voted which way?

Local drivers in So Cal make about 23 an hour. I would have to check a pay stub, but that is close. A 15% cut is extreme. Reddaway is not losing money at this time. Anyone who says so does not know the facts or is liar. Thats why management always talks about "Goals" , and never "Operating Ratio". Goals are a dishonest way to talk about financail issues. Its just another way for the parent company to strip every dime they can out of us. A 5% cut would have given the company much better numbers without hurting the drivers who built this company. I hope the Teamster drivers vote "NO". I wish I could vote. But the 60 drivers my terminal layed off over the last 2 years, were sure they did not need a contract, and were certain the company would be fair to them. Now they are gone, and with the companies new policy of "Final Termination" after 4 months on lay off, for Non Union Drivers; We will never see them again in a Reddaway Truck. By the way: Union Drivers will be called back up to 2 years, even if their terminal moves or is merged. Thats why all the upper management have a contract, and so do those guys you listen to on the Radio who tell you its better to be an "At Will Employee".

Damit! He didnt tell you boys?

When did you get a raise to 22.88 ?

HELL WE BEEN MAKING 22.88 AN HOUR ALL YEAR! THATS WHY THIS DAM 15% PAYCUT HURTS SOOOO MUCH! HOW MUCH YOU GUYS MAKE UP NORTH? P.S. IF YOU FELLAS RUN INTO ANY SAC. LINE DRIVERS BE SURE AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT A PILE OF :shit:shit THEY ARE..........

HELL WE BEEN MAKING 22.88 AN HOUR ALL YEAR! THATS WHY THIS DAM 15% PAYCUT HURTS SOOOO MUCH! HOW MUCH YOU GUYS MAKE UP NORTH? P.S. IF YOU FELLAS RUN INTO ANY SAC. LINE DRIVERS BE SURE AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT A PILE OF :shit:shit THEY ARE..........

you knew it was coming.dont act shocked now.Should of been planing for this day to come. right?:ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

What flava coolaid is that you drinkin?

you knew it was coming.dont act shocked now.Should of been planing for this day to come. right?:ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

OH YEA T.J. AND I GO GOLFING ALL THE TIME! SORRY PUPPETshit BUT I CANT TELL THE FUTURE! SOOO NO I DIDNT KNOW THIS WAS COMING......................................

The mandate of a corporate raider (see: YRC) is to acquire controlling interest of a profitable entity such as USF, liquidate as many tangible assets as possible, leverage (borrow money against) all remaining assets.
Just a way of moving money around on a worldwide basis while producing large profit margins for a very select few players at the top. (See: Yellow Worldwide European and Chinese acquisitions)
Like playing Monopoly as an example.
The strong heritage and employees of a great company like Reddaway are completely expendable.
Therein lies the rub.
Until the US Federal government provides some level of employee / shareholder protection from the single minded profit stripping management tactics of parasites like YRC nothing will change.
The current financial / employment scenario at USF became predictable the unfortunate day YRC acquired controlling interest of USF. We as employees don't have any control of the outcome.
Forget assistance from Unions. They are a business interested in maintaining monthly payable dues or a steady flow of income as it were. A huge amount of your money when you add it all up.
Our (employees) only hope for a stable future is freedom from YRC ownership.
But then again, YRC management might be everyday nice folks who've made some really bad corporate decisions in the past but still have all our best interests at heart...hehe
Anywhooo...food for thought.

Forget the Union? O.K. I'm not too pleased by the local Union reps either. However; A contract is needed. You dont buy a house without one, or a car, or even a health plan. A contract is a civilized conservative document that protects you from favortisum, or random changes without your vote. The bottom guy in a Teamster yard works before a senior guy in a non union yard when the service area overlaps. No phone calls from fat lazy Union reps, just the fact that the dispatcher is held accountable to the contract. If nobody was Union in the company, you might have a point, but when half the guys in the area are Teamsters, they win every conflict, or every dispatch when its them or you.

no dispatch accountability

Forget the Union? O.K. I'm not too pleased by the local Union reps either. However; A contract is needed. You dont buy a house without one, or a car, or even a health plan. A contract is a civilized conservative document that protects you from favortisum, or random changes without your vote. The bottom guy in a Teamster yard works before a senior guy in a non union yard when the service area overlaps. No phone calls from fat lazy Union reps, just the fact that the dispatcher is held accountable to the contract. If nobody was Union in the company, you might have a point, but when half the guys in the area are Teamsters, they win every conflict, or every dispatch when its them or you.
no true. the fontana dispatch doesnt care about union or not. I"ve seen many union drivers sit and fontana drivers roll

Streaker..we are of a similar mindset on a number of issues.
I was self employed for over 30 years prior to becoming an employee of Reddaway quite some time ago.
I appreciate the impact "benefits and seniority" have on any regular working stiff (as I am now) and I also appreciate the input any organization such as the Teamsters has had to cause the workplace to improve, and it has.
I work at a non-union terminal, give 110% everyday and know that it's my choice to be there and work hard for "MY" benefit and gain, not their choice to employ me.
Just a different way of looking at things I guess amigo.
Read "Atlas Shrugged" and you'll get my drift completely.
You are, as I am, a valuable asset to any organization needing our talents and skills.
Food for thought...
Greatwhitenorth

that is exactly what the yrc folks now make with the 15% cut about 600.00 a month it sucks a big one let me tell you this has been going on since 8/01, get used to it. its about enough to survive on and nothing left over for fun.

Streaker..we are of a similar mindset on a number of issues.
I was self employed for over 30 years prior to becoming an employee of Reddaway quite some time ago.
I appreciate the impact "benefits and seniority" have on any regular working stiff (as I am now) and I also appreciate the input any organization such as the Teamsters has had to cause the workplace to improve, and it has.
I work at a non-union terminal, give 110% everyday and know that it's my choice to be there and work hard for "MY" benefit and gain, not their choice to employ me.
Just a different way of looking at things I guess amigo.
Read "Atlas Shrugged" and you'll get my drift completely.
You are, as I am, a valuable asset to any organization needing our talents and skills.
Food for thought...
Greatwhitenorth
I have read "Atlas Shrugged" 3 times. "Fountain Head" once. Ayn Rand wrote some other cool stuff as well. A small book called "Anthem" is one of my favorites. Earlier this week I was watching some Youtube clips of Ayn Rand. Now you got me started. I have gave copies of "Atlas Shrugged" to some drivers I know, nobody wants to read a 1000 page book. My only problem with Ayn is her attack on Christians, but she had amazing insight about liberals in her day and today. The idiot in Irvine who runs her organization today really hates Christians, he is really dragging her legacy through the mud. He has no opinions on Economics or Philosophy, he just slanders people of faith. But back to Ayn, she had such great ideas, and could see what was coming in America. Find "Anthem", its a small book, for Ayn, but its great. Look me up in Orange, if your ever there.

The benefit of being non union?

What is the benefit of being union? I AM union and I am still getting the same pay cut whether "I" want it or not plus I have the added benefit of paying union dues and contributing to my healthcare benefits. Every major union company in the past like CF and NW has gone under and I am sure we are going to eventualy as well. The union has not "saved " any jobs remember 22 union terminals closed last year? where do they go to continue there pension plan? they are screwed. If the union is so good at running a trucking company why dont they own one? yes let them buy one and show us all how to be the best employer they can be. We will see how long they stay in business but they wont due it because they know they will fail because their business kills business.

I have read "Atlas Shrugged" 3 times. "Fountain Head" once. Ayn Rand wrote some other cool stuff as well. A small book called "Anthem" is one of my favorites. Earlier this week I was watching some Youtube clips of Ayn Rand. Now you got me started. I have gave copies of "Atlas Shrugged" to some drivers I know, nobody wants to read a 1000 page book. My only problem with Ayn is her attack on Christians, but she had amazing insight about liberals in her day and today. The idiot in Irvine who runs her organization today really hates Christians, he is really dragging her legacy through the mud. He has no opinions on Economics or Philosophy, he just slanders people of faith. But back to Ayn, she had such great ideas, and could see what was coming in America. Find "Anthem", its a small book, for Ayn, but its great. Look me up in Orange, if your ever there.

Leapin' Lizards Streaker....yer a breath of fresh air.
Even though I'm proud to work hard for for the benefit of Reddaway (and myself) I have no no illusions when it comes to my having any control over the bloodsuckers at YRC and their impact on our employment status.
Either I accept what they want from me as an employee or I don't accept it.
My choice completely.
The teamsters or any organized labor groups are a tiny stumbling block in the path of entities such as YRC.
Unions are in fact nothing more than self serving organizations interested in their own bottom line....not their members.
The YRC / Teamster negotiations from the east coast to the west coast have proven that.
Personally I've chosen to continue slaving away at Reddaway, doing the best I can do, day in and day out (at a non-union terminal), let the chips fall were they may.
MY CHOICE!
Our biggest conundrum to solve: How do we (Reddaway) free ourselves from the clutches of YRC?
Therein lies our salvation....
Cheers
GWN

Many things posted here are wrong. What you need to know is Reddaway IS losing money. Here are the facts:
1. Reddaway is losing $500,000 per week on average for the last month and 1/2
2. Once ALL Reddaway employees take the 15% cut, it will save the company $350,000 per week. All meaning everyone...union and non union.
So, as you can see the savings does not cover the nut of the loss.
That is problem #1. And here is problem #2
Home Depot has made up 30% of the total revenue that Reddaway has enjoyed. Now that HD is building their DC's.....50% of that 30% is going away. Personally I believe that number is higher but will never know.
That is problem #2 and here is problem #3
Reddaway is a fantastic company...its people from the top to bottom are outstanding. However, they absolutely suck at marketing. And within here lies the problem
In this economy, you must be the FIRST to do something in the market that separates you from the competition. This is how you gain market share....you do something first, gain market share and the competition has to scramble to react. FedEx, Conway and UPS are always first and Reddaway scrambles to react. Reddaway never has been and never will be a company who does something first. In marketing, they are followers not leaders.
So, that is their biggest problem.
In order to reduce the weekly loses to zero, they must bring on new business to replace the HD that is going away. With the economy as it is, they can no longer expect that their current customers can give them more freight because there is no more to give.
New business is their only hope and history tells us they are not equipped to gain market share.
Reddaway is in trouble.
I believe and hope Reddaway survives. It indeed is a great company that has had the life choked out of it by YRCW. Whether by chapter 11 or by being sold by YRCW, Reddaway will come out of this I hope. The question remains, how much damage will be done between now and then?
Union or non union....it makes zero difference. You have no more or less security in this current situation. You guys can argue this until you blue in the face but believe me....it make no difference. You are all in the same boat together paddling to survive. Get along, put your differences aside and do your job as best you can. It is going to take everyone, top to bottom, union/non union, management and clerical to be focused here in order to survive. And even then...it may not be enough.

Celtic33 you hit it right on the nail, union or non-union if this thing does not turn around we are all affected period.Another thing too if that contract in the northwest gets voted NO by those cats up there who knows what will happen then!These cats down here in Ca and Phx are out numbered by those union cats up in the northwest .As I understand them cats up in the northwest are standing firm on no wage reduction,I RESPECT that however right now is the wrong time,circa,etc for that.15% is better than 100% wage reduction 10-4!!!

Leapin' Lizards Streaker....yer a breath of fresh air.
Even though I'm proud to work hard for for the benefit of Reddaway (and myself) I have no no illusions when it comes to my having any control over the bloodsuckers at YRC and their impact on our employment status.
Either I accept what they want from me as an employee or I don't accept it.
My choice completely.
The teamsters or any organized labor groups are a tiny stumbling block in the path of entities such as YRC.
Unions are in fact nothing more than self serving organizations interested in their own bottom line....not their members.
The YRC / Teamster negotiations from the east coast to the west coast have proven that.
Personally I've chosen to continue slaving away at Reddaway, doing the best I can do, day in and day out (at a non-union terminal), let the chips fall were they may.
MY CHOICE!
Our biggest conundrum to solve: How do we (Reddaway) free ourselves from the clutches of YRC?
Therein lies our salvation....
Cheers
GWN

Well I agree with you , Ayn and Rush that Unions are just leftest political organizations. However I still think we need a contract as drivers. Ayn always got a contract for her books, Rush has one for his show, 200,000 u p s employees have one. Are u p s drivers lazy ? Why do the 4000 pilots at Fedex have a contract ? Are they better humans than the Fedex drivers ? Why do all the leadership of our company have contracts ? Why, because its foolish to work without a contract. The Conservatives invented contract law, and then let the libs manage it badly. I would love to have a contract without the Union, but I dont know if thats possible. Try this; Ask the company for a "Drivers Contract" to be negociated with the 10 most senior drivers and management. No Union involvment. Just 10 drivers and 10 company managers hashing out whats fair for both sides. They could meet every year to improve the "Drivers Contract" for the benefit of company and drivers. Most drivers would find this very reasonable. Yet the company would never go for it, those in company leadership would never want you to have what they have. 20 years ago when I came to work here, I had never bought a house, or signed any kind of serious contract before, but I'm a little bit wiser now, I understand how a contract can benefit me, and the company. ...By the way, you could seek a contract, that you and the other drivers at your terminal have control over, but .... YRC selling us, (I hope so) but "that" you have "NO" control over, No matter what we do, we can not free ourselves of YRC. YRC owns us until they decide to sell us or they run us out of business.

Many things posted here are wrong. What you need to know is Reddaway IS losing money. Here are the facts:
1. Reddaway is losing $500,000 per week on average for the last month and 1/2
2. Once ALL Reddaway employees take the 15% cut, it will save the company $350,000 per week. All meaning everyone...union and non union.
So, as you can see the savings does not cover the nut of the loss.
That is problem #1. And here is problem #2
Home Depot has made up 30% of the total revenue that Reddaway has enjoyed. Now that HD is building their DC's.....50% of that 30% is going away. Personally I believe that number is higher but will never know.
That is problem #2 and here is problem #3
Reddaway is a fantastic company...its people from the top to bottom are outstanding. However, they absolutely suck at marketing. And within here lies the problem
In this economy, you must be the FIRST to do something in the market that separates you from the competition. This is how you gain market share....you do something first, gain market share and the competition has to scramble to react. FedEx, Conway and UPS are always first and Reddaway scrambles to react. Reddaway never has been and never will be a company who does something first. In marketing, they are followers not leaders.
So, that is their biggest problem.
In order to reduce the weekly loses to zero, they must bring on new business to replace the HD that is going away. With the economy as it is, they can no longer expect that their current customers can give them more freight because there is no more to give.
New business is their only hope and history tells us they are not equipped to gain market share.
Reddaway is in trouble.
I believe and hope Reddaway survives. It indeed is a great company that has had the life choked out of it by YRCW. Whether by chapter 11 or by being sold by YRCW, Reddaway will come out of this I hope. The question remains, how much damage will be done between now and then?
Union or non union....it makes zero difference. You have no more or less security in this current situation. You guys can argue this until you blue in the face but believe me....it make no difference. You are all in the same boat together paddling to survive. Get along, put your differences aside and do your job as best you can. It is going to take everyone, top to bottom, union/non union, management and clerical to be focused here in order to survive. And even then...it may not be enough.

I dont believe Reddaway is losing 500K a week, yet I have heard management say so. We are losing money in certain areas of the company because management has the "Big Picture" concept and refuses to adapt to the current economy. As management will always tell you, (You just cant see the big picture) The truth is that comment is always said by suits who either never leave their computer models behind to learn how the trucking business works, or refuse to make the proper changes in areas where they are emotionally involved. For example I dont work in Fontana, yet I understand that it is the true center of the company. Fontana has a higher bill count than the entire states of Washington and Oregan combined. But where is our headquarters? V.P. big Bob Pebble (MisOperations) closes terminals based on personal grudges he has. Designs service areas to reward certain groups and punish others. We might be losing money under certain badly planned circumstances, however at my terminal every local driver brings in 2 to 3 thousand dollars in revenue a day. After you pay all the staff at under 25% of revenue there is still plenty of profit left. Not as much profit as last year when the bill count was higher, but we are still in the black. One last point to keep in mind, YRCW sets goals based on the fees they charge for each terminal, and judge your yard based on those goals, not on your actual O.R. ... BE SAFE