The Big fight

v for vendetta

TB Lurker
Credits
Round One -Goes to the company for a year of baloney and dvds.
Round Two- To the Teamsters for a U.LP. to the companies labor lawyers.
Round Three- Teamsters do a surprise combination of strike and picketing leaving the opponent rubberlegged this is our round.
Round Four-company round for sure,barbedwire and getto ninjas in combat boots gangstariffic.
Round Five- Teamsters Have this one as companies lies to customers are being exposed.
Round Six will be the best. What will happen when the starving Oak Harbor sales staff battle the deeply entrenched Teamster route drivers over that all important outbound freight . Rumor has it the drivers will prevail. My opinion is the customers will be loyal to their exdriver 90 percent of the time. I predict this will be a huge win for the Teamsters. Lets see Monday. I'm sure Dave will be all ears.

International truck in Pdx has told them not to come back until the labor strike is settled (at least a trailerload a day). Abf used to give OakH up to 2 full trailers a day and all of the routings have been changed to other carriers. At Safeway warehouse an OAKH truck was trying to make a deivery but all of the Safeway drivers are union an could not leave their yard because of the picketers, OAKH was asked to leave so operations could continue.

I love to hear all of that stuff, lets remember though these guys have allot of cash, and the way things have been moving seems very deliberate. Although I don't really know what they are thinking long-term, what so all the strikers leave and get other jobs, then they are going to have replacements delivering right next to the drivers they essentially locked out? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Why don't they auction off all there assets and restart as another carrier or get out of the trucking business and retire. The only reason I can see for continued operation is bullheadedness and to be hurtful their long term loyal employees. Nobody wanted to walk out, this company has been engaged the process of union busting since the late 90's. Every offer they have given has been bait to try to get the Teamsters to walk, it had nothing to do with the economy or anything else.

Teamsters are suicidal!

In order to make their point they (teamsters) are willing to bankrupt the company they work for!! Is this NOT one of the definitions of insanity?? Their fight is over health benefits for retirees...God forbid they should contribute to their healthcare costs just like EVERYONE ELSE has to do!!! Answer this please...When is the last time teamsters have actually CREATED a POFIT MAKING job??? HMMM???? Oh wait! All they do is attach themselves to a company just like a blood sucking leech and suck it dry until ...well...it bankrupts it!!
I hope that the company sticks to its guns and fights these thugs. Hire replacements and do away with this legalized extorsion AKA Teamsters union!!
A message to the company. Please DO NOT give up!! You'll be creating a biger monster!! Do not let them bully you! They have absolutely no clue how to run a PROFITABLE organization! Beat the monster at its own game! Fight it!!

imagine the lost account after the strike is over. i know fedex makes it a point in their sales presentations that they are non union so their customers will never have to worry about a strike.

we sre not allowed to post union propaganda on the nonunion boards. why are these yahoos allowed to post their trash on boards that support ALL union information. The Vanerpols have gotten rich from their teamter workers. I guess $4 million a year isn't enough. Maybe the mangement who is posting on here an trying to pretend they really work for a living need to live in our households.

I have no idea why people are going onto a UNION forum and slamming my union brothers. I know they don't understand the sacrifices the union brothers have made so all drivers can enjoy good pay and benefits. The men on strike are fighting for the rest of us, yes even you non-union drivers. Please go and google the working conditions before the drivers banded together.
God bless all the men and women on the front lines. I really hope the owners rethink the way they are treating the great workforce that has made them so much money over the years. :USA:

It seems obvious that many do not seem to understand that all the choices were all in the hands of the Oak Harbor ownership. The Teamsters made every
reasonable attempt to negotiate for the past year. They would not open their
books to show any kind of economic hardship. Isn't it convienient for these weak spineless brothers to ride the Teamster legacy while contracts are good
then turn their backs and cry when some sacrafice is asked of them.What a
shameful display.If you want to work non-union go to another company NOW!
YOU ARE PATHETIC!

It seems obvious that many do not seem to understand that all the choices were all in the hands of the Oak Harbor ownership. The Teamsters made every
reasonable attempt to negotiate for the past year. They would not open their
books to show any kind of economic hardship. Isn't it convienient for these weak spineless brothers to ride the Teamster legacy while contracts are good
then turn their backs and cry when some sacrafice is asked of them.What a
shameful display.If you want to work non-union go to another company NOW!
YOU ARE PATHETIC!

Well said Brother

I am going to take a stab at answering your ramblings but since you have a preconceived notion that you know the whole story I doubt if anything said would change your mind.

In order to make their point they (teamsters) are willing to bankrupt the company they work for!! Is this NOT one of the definitions of insanity??
Insanity could also be that Oak is spending more money to bust the Union out than it would to settle. Check out Best strike replacements replacement workers and guess their rate. The one I like is the driver replacement company. According to their web site they have been around for 50 years and only have one client? Located in San Francisco? Yep. One of the best. Pacific Transport Services, LLC.

Their fight is over health benefits for retirees...God forbid they should contribute to their health care costs just like EVERYONE ELSE has to do!!!
Get your information before you open your mouth and remove all doubt that you are a fool. The strike is over Unfair Labor Practices. This is not an economic strike. Oak has had mandatory meetings to "inform" us of their views. They have mailed at about ten CD's to our houses to "inform" us of their views with an outright statement that if we struck 'You will be replaced" statement. They have threatened employees about displaying support for the Union. As for the benefits for retirees that is a contract issue. The others would be No payments to the Teamsters retirement fund-a company 401k. No more sick leave as we know it. It came out to some ridiculous amount of 70 cents per day (?). A company insurance plan that would let them "manage" it. (I really want Oak to know why I went to the doctor.) Can you understand why they might want to bank the premiums? Do you understand "collect the interest?" Hell most of the people would forgo wage increase this time around.

Answer this please...When is the last time teamsters have actually CREATED a POFIT MAKING job??? HMMM???? Oh wait! All they do is attach themselves to a company just like a blood sucking leech and suck it dry until ...well...it bankrupts it!!
Well since Teamsters don't create jobs, none. They represent the workers. But if you mean name some companies that have Union representation that turn a profit off the top of my bald head I can think of three. Oak was/is until their rapid expansion in the California market that required land and equipment. They are also private held so who really know what version of the books they would show anyone even if they would. UPS is another. ABF is one of the best.

I am not going to comment on the rest of your ramblings. Time to get ready for another night of hot dog and marshmallow roasting at the campfire on NE 13th Avenue in Portland. Come by tonight and we can discuss further.

They have absolutely no clue how to run a PROFITABLE organization! Beat the monster at its own game! Fight it!!
Well maybe one more. By "they" I assume you mean the Teamsters. Like I said the Teamsters don't manage companies they keep companies from abusing the workers.

PS: Ed, The wooden shoes have dry rot.

As much as such culinary delights as hot dogs and roasted marshmallows would entice anyone to leave his job...I will have to pass this time around!! Not my cup of..."hot cocoa" I guess!!! I don't believe that you truly understand just WHOM you are working for!! You mention all the other companies in your reply...What do they ALL have in common?? (insert jeopardy theme music here!!) Give up?? You are smarter than I am so ...BRAVO you got it! They are MUCH biger than OAKH and have the power that derives from that. Better discounts,better rates for their customers,national customers etc. So for OAKH to go on and do business in this cut throat climate they have to cut costs! No other way around it! If you had bothered to watch those DVD"S they make it pretty clear that in order for them to celebrate their 100th birthday they'll have to make significant changes to healthcare benefits (at least) changes that reflect today's reality we live in (minus the Teamsters of course!) Unfair labor practice....do you actually say that and NOT start to laugh??? Hope you're having a great outdoor experience. I'll just keep on working.Somehow...having dinner at a table in a restaurant sounds FAR more appealing!

Special Trucker- Re-watch those DVD's...I did, not only at home, but at EVERY MEETING I GOT DRAGGED INTO. It get's really old being told unless you cross the line, we will replace you. You can only imagine how that would make one feel about their importance at the company. The V'Pols don't care about us, they never did. I thought they did when this all started( last Oct ), sadley for them, their DVD's are what showed me their true colors in this situation.
Enjoy your dinner at the restaurant......I will enjoy my 10 cent top ramen at home with my husband and know that when I'm out on those picket lines, I'm with people who truly care about more then just money.
Don't get too comfortable at OAKH.....they are more focused on money than their people ( I can only name one manager there in Auburn that I would exempt from that statement ), and well, your wage might just be more then they are feeling like they are going to pay.. and oppps, there goes your posistion ( like poor George in Auburn terminal )

An idea, have a vote on the contract, or are the locals afraid that it will pass and their power trip will come to a sudden stop. Lets vote and go back to work!