The Big fight

i believe the main reasons were the retirees current and future would have to pay almost double what they are now to keep their health plan per month. they also wanted to contribute less to the pension.

on the dock they wanted to remove seniority and set shifts. they would be able to work you only 35 hours per week and would not be required to give you benefits because you are not working the required 40 per week here in oregon to receive them.

also they wanted to change the hours required for casual workers to get on the board from 1000 hours in 6months to 1300 hours in 6months. This means instead of working 43 hours weeks for 6months you would need to work 55hour weeks for 6months and we all know that would never happen.

edit: also they wanted to make it to where you have to buy your sick days because not enough employees use their sick days. heres the company site outlining these but remember its ran by the company so they make it sound great hxxp://ww.oakhanswers.com/rep/index.html replace the x's with t's and add a w. i cant find the proposals at the site anymore so i guess they took them down so people cant view them anymore.

we hear so many things how do we know what the truth is one guy says one thing and then you hear differnt things from other guys. do we really know what the truth is..

The Teamsters had a copy of the recent proposal at the Auburn tent if anyone wanted to take a look at it. I can confirm pretty much everything deanx posted is in that proposal.

i believe the main reasons were the retirees current and future would have to pay almost double what they are now to keep their health plan per month. they also wanted to contribute less to the pension.

on the dock they wanted to remove seniority and set shifts. they would be able to work you only 35 hours per week and would not be required to give you benefits because you are not working the required 40 per week here in oregon to receive them.

also they wanted to change the hours required for casual workers to get on the board from 1000 hours in 6months to 1300 hours in 6months. This means instead of working 43 hours weeks for 6months you would need to work 55hour weeks for 6months and we all know that would never happen.

edit: also they wanted to make it to where you have to buy your sick days because not enough employees use their sick days. heres the company site outlining these but remember its ran by the company so they make it sound great hxxp://ww.oakhanswers.com/rep/index.html replace the x's with t's and add a w. i cant find the proposals at the site anymore so i guess they took them down so people cant view them anymore.

I would be interested in details about the dock worker thing. Many changes have taken place in my backyard with the recent retirement of one of the VP's. I'm not certain on the events, but I had the pleasure of meeting with this person and if what has been said is true, it goes directly against what his philosophy was concerning compensation for all workers, including dock.

As a driver in California I can tell you that the sick pay deal is a pain but it's not as bad as it seems. Much of the benefits compensation is better that it appears at first glance. I know employees (or one in paticular) that had abused the sick pay to the point where I can see clearly why it was decided to change it.

How does one abuse something that they have earned?If they are truly sick then why are they not able to use the sick pay that they have built up.

How does one abuse something that they have earned?If they are truly sick then why are they not able to use the sick pay that they have built up.

That's just it. There are those who used all of the benefits offered while not actually being sick. Understanding the premise behind the company sick pay is crucial to understanding why this is abusive.

So was that a teamster using there sick pay as per the contract or a non union person?I know as a teamster they were aloted 24 days built up and could use them only after being off for more than two days.How do you know this person was abusing there sick time?Who has the proof the company? i would'nt believe anything the company said.

That's just it. There are those who used all of the benefits offered while not actually being sick. Understanding the premise behind the company sick pay is crucial to understanding why this is abusive.

A paid day off, what premise? Are you some kind of ******? Have you spent so much time in this Wal-Martopian paradise that you actually think you don't deserve paid days off? Man you are just crazy, how badly can it hurt the company if 1 person takes a day off? Sick pay is yours to use as you need, and its none of the companies business why you use it, or when, it is paid time negotiated for you in the contract. If you have paid days and you use them their should be no recourse, being paid on the 3rd day out is just wrong. Oak Harbor is just wrong and you are a big time tard. Give it up, prance across the line, like the b*tch you are.

You can analyze this situation all you want if you are a rank and file employee and you think the VP's policies are fair, you are out of your mind. People at every other company in every other industry receive better treatment, and more respect than this company ever thought about giving you. Its not about what's right, and it never has been for them, it's all about the #'s and the $'s and it always will be. I think you want to rationalize your desire to be a lowlife traitor, and you are afraid because you know you will become an example of what every American hates, the class tattle tale, the suckup, a person that would sellout their best friend to get a leg up, that's what a "strike line crosser" is and you will always be just that, once you prance across that line. So drop the facade stop splitting inconsequential hairs, put it out there. You know this contract is crap but you want to work under it anyway because you have too many bills, and your too lazy to look for another job, selfish strike line crossing #$@*.

In reality the company would like to eliminate sick leave then they can force you to use vacation time for FMLA first. Also lets get down to brass tacks .
If a couple of people abuse something (sick leave ) should that be the excuse for screwing six hundred others. Punish the individual if proof exists
not the group.Face it they wanted a war .We'll give them one even if it means mutual self destruction.

Replacement worker ****

in order to make their point they (teamsters) are willing to bankrupt the company they work for!! Is this not one of the definitions of insanity?? Their fight is over health benefits for retirees...god forbid they should contribute to their healthcare costs just like everyone else has to do!!! Answer this please...when is the last time teamsters have actually created a pofit making job??? Hmmm???? Oh wait! All they do is attach themselves to a company just like a blood sucking leech and suck it dry until ...well...it bankrupts it!!
I hope that the company sticks to its guns and fights these thugs. Hire replacements and do away with this legalized extorsion aka teamsters union!!
A message to the company. Please do not give up!! You'll be creating a biger monster!! Do not let them bully you! They have absolutely no clue how to run a profitable organization! Beat the monster at its own game! Fight it!!

yoo ------ if it wasnt for the teamsters every truck driver in america would be making walmart wages! Thats 8-bucks an hour! So thank god for the teamsters!:1036316054:

yoo ------ if it wasnt for the teamsters every truck driver in america would be making walmart wages! Thats 8-bucks an hour! So thank god for the teamsters!:1036316054:

Compare apples to apples. Wal-Mart drivers make $8.00 per hour while they are in the sleeper. When driving and other activities they make an average of about 3 times that $8.00 figure. Maybe even more than that.

So was that a teamster using there sick pay as per the contract or a non union person?I know as a teamster they were aloted 24 days built up and could use them only after being off for more than two days.How do you know this person was abusing there sick time?Who has the proof the company? i would'nt believe anything the company said.

I had intended to mention that I don't know what the union offers for sick pay. The OHFL sick pay was a system by which if you were sick or injured you would have a bank to draw from much like a insurance situation. If every employee would use everything that is available to them, it would completely wipe out the sick bank in short order. Some employees that had no scruples found out that this was available and played hookey for months at a time until the bank was depleted and then those that needed time for injuries did not have it available. That is what David meant on the DVD by 'Playing cops and robbers' when talking about the changes in the sick pay program. There were drivers that were able to use the sick pay before the plan had changes that were off for several weeks without any interruption in their pay (as if they had never stopped working) and so I have no reason to doubt that it was a very good plan.

Then that would have had to happen on the non-union side of the company,the union side had a contract of sick time you built up to a 24 day sick leave.Only thing is you had to be off 2 days or more to be able to use it.

Listen guys we accumulated six days a year sick leave. Only a very healthy
and dedicated individual could make it four years to accumulate twenty four
days.Then and only then would you be able to get paid starting the first day.
THESE WERE EARNED DAYS! HEAVEN FORBID A PERSON MIGHT USE THESE
EARNED DAYS TO CARE FOR A SPOUSE WITH CANCER OR STAY HOME WITH
A NEW BABY. Most companies give you a certain amount of days off for sickness a year pay you on the first day and if left over at the end of the year cut you a check to reward good attendence if not used. Check with people around you these dopes still think it's the 1930s.A person like DVP
thinks others are trying to screw him because he is trying to screw them all the time. It's called projecting .Look it up in your psych 101 handbook. Oh
that's right only made through school of Oak Harbor thank goodness Dad let
you pass probably wouldn't be wrecking a company now if had to make it out here with the rest of the world.

What's happening Monday?

Is there news about Monday?

Round One -Goes to the company for a year of baloney and dvds.
Round Two- To the Teamsters for a U.LP. to the companies labor lawyers.
Round Three- Teamsters do a surprise combination of strike and picketing leaving the opponent rubberlegged this is our round.
Round Four-company round for sure,barbedwire and getto ninjas in combat boots gangstariffic.
Round Five- Teamsters Have this one as companies lies to customers are being exposed.
Round Six will be the best. What will happen when the starving Oak Harbor sales staff battle the deeply entrenched Teamster route drivers over that all important outbound freight . Rumor has it the drivers will prevail. My opinion is the customers will be loyal to their exdriver 90 percent of the time. I predict this will be a huge win for the Teamsters. Lets see Monday. I'm sure Dave will be all ears.

I'm not sure what happened on "Monday".....

But on Wednesday night, they had 180 outbound bills. The normal for the Auburn terminal nightly is 900-1000.

Listen guys we accumulated six days a year sick leave. Only a very healthy
and dedicated individual could make it four years to accumulate twenty four
days.Then and only then would you be able to get paid starting the first day.
THESE WERE EARNED DAYS! HEAVEN FORBID A PERSON MIGHT USE THESE
EARNED DAYS TO CARE FOR A SPOUSE WITH CANCER OR STAY HOME WITH
A NEW BABY. Most companies give you a certain amount of days off for sickness a year pay you on the first day and if left over at the end of the year cut you a check to reward good attendence if not used. Check with people around you these dopes still think it's the 1930s.A person like DVP
thinks others are trying to screw him because he is trying to screw them all the time. It's called projecting .Look it up in your psych 101 handbook. Oh
that's right only made through school of Oak Harbor thank goodness Dad let
you pass probably wouldn't be wrecking a company now if had to make it out here with the rest of the world.

This incident was one that I witnessed first hand. The employee in question was shown to be fraudulent as witnessed by several of his co-workers.
The other two employees, one fell from a ladder and the other broke his leg, were out on sick pay for months, not days, and deserved the sick pay that they got. Notice that they got paid for months, not days.
I think the message that I'm trying to get accross is getting lost due to my inability to explain. I would have rather seen OHFL owners investigate the fraudulent employee rather than quit offering sick benefits since the sick pay was such a great deal. Where else can you feel secure that if you have to be out for months, you can receive pay while you're out? The employee that broke his leg had been employed for about three and a half years at the time.
Another employee had an infection that put him out of work for several weeks. This happened after the change and he received nothing. I'm still annoyed about that. Not at the owners but at the crook that ruined it for the rest of us.
Something to consider is that the sick pay costed the company about the equivilant of 15 cents per hour per employee (if averaged out.) When the new compensation plan rolled out, it included an added 15 cents per hour (or whatever that works out in miles) to each employee. The financial outfit that takes care of the retirement funds offers a plan that will pay sick benefits if you pay them essentially that 15 cents. I don't know if that makes sense to you as I seem to be having trouble explaining it.

BTW Psych 101 is a very good example of how a little knowlege can be a dangerous thing. Just about anyone that knows someone taking first year Psych can attest to this.

Walmart workers,greeters,stockers,checkers

Compare apples to apples. Wal-Mart drivers make $8.00 per hour while they are in the sleeper. When driving and other activities they make an average of about 3 times that $8.00 figure. Maybe even more than that.

WALMART GREETERS DONT MAKE 24/HR! THEY DONT GET FREE MEDICAL, SO WERE NOT COMPARING GUYS WHO SLEEP IN TRUCKS WITH GUYS WHO THROUGH FREIGHT! TRY TO COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ BEFORE YOU POST.:1036316054::hysterical:

Most companies give you a certain amount of days off for sickness a year pay you on the first day and if left over at the end of the year cut you a check to reward good attendence if not used.

You know, not even government offers this kind of benefit anymore. As much as I hate to admit, most of my extended family works in the public arena and none of them get this. This includes County, State (and school district) and Federal government. AFAIK government still is known to have the best benefit program (better than private sector.)

I can't imagine exceptional health being required. I am not in exceptional health and I haven't needed more than one day over the five years that I have been here.

WALMART GREETERS DONT MAKE 24/HR! THEY DONT GET FREE MEDICAL, SO WERE NOT COMPARING GUYS WHO SLEEP IN TRUCKS WITH GUYS WHO THROUGH FREIGHT! TRY TO COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ BEFORE YOU POST.:1036316054::hysterical:

Nice use of the caps lock, you must feel like you really put me in my place by using the dreaded caps lock.

When I quoted you, you stated Wal-mart wages and since this is a trucking forum, I think that most reasonable people would agree that Wal-mart wages would only apply to their truck drivers in that context. You didn't mention Wal-mart greeters, cashiers, etc.

I think it bugs you that Wal-mart truckers make as much or possibly more than teamsters, or as you put it, guys who through (perhaps you meant "throw") freight.

You win this round, but only because of the dreaded caps lock.

Nicely played.:smilie_132: