XPO | The boxboss question and answer thread

The problem with the party is, depending on how large your service center is, finding a place to accomodate alot of people, and that hunt begins for some in March...then there are contracts, most locking you into a set price 60-90 days in advance...I know some folks scaled back, others went through with what they were contractually bound to, and I know that literally no SCM wanted to do one after the layoffs, because nobody felt it was appropriate after letting people go...But, that may have not been very fair to the rest, either, so we all made the best of a bad situation..

The problem with the party is, depending on how large your service center is, finding a place to accomodate alot of people, and that hunt begins for some in March...then there are contracts, most locking you into a set price 60-90 days in advance...I know some folks scaled back, others went through with what they were contractually bound to, and I know that literally no SCM wanted to do one after the layoffs, because nobody felt it was appropriate after letting people go...But, that may have not been very fair to the rest, either, so we all made the best of a bad situation..

So you are a TM?

Hey Boxboss...Any truth to the rumor that a Federal Judge found Conway liable for a portion of CF's unfunded liability to the C.F.P.F. in the tune of five hundred million dollars.

Ok Boss, thanks for the answer. Our TM put a sign up sheet for the party and I do personally know that he reserved the space for our party at last years dinner. With 9 or 10 days from the listed party date he pulled the sign up sheet. I believe that he has to make these decisions based on the times we are experiencing and to save on costs. The only real argument I have is that he canceled our annual picknic in Aug and said he did so so that we could have a better Christmas party. We are a 28 driver outpost and I'm about halfway up the seniority list , if I have a job at this time next year I'll sure not complain. Merry Christmas to all drivers........

Hey Boxboss...Any truth to the rumor that a Federal Judge found Conway liable for a portion of CF's unfunded liability to the C.F.P.F. in the tune of five hundred million dollars.

No...at least not that I have heard...had that happened, that message would have been out there within 10 minutes of a decision..It would have been all over the transportation wires, wall street, etc...nothing so far..

Another Question for you BB,

I was told that, after the layoffs, the way they decided the fos that would go was on current production and future potential with a company. I know at my barn we had an Fos that worked for the company 15 yrs, in city dispatch for many of those years, layed off. Now the other fos hasnt been there a complete year yet and they found him a better keep sake. I have nothing against that fos, but things in the City are terrible. We have an Fom out of Ok trying to tell us how long it should take to get our freight off and he's dispatching some people 20 to 40 miles outta the way. Not only that, I have heard, the dispatcher that was layed off had a lot of loyal customer that shipped with us because of her. Now they are gone. Thats sum future potential.

My question to you sir, is that the way that it really happened? Did the Tms have any say at all in who was to stay and who was to go? I figure our plumb little Tm had it out for that Fos because they didnt bow down to his every command. I heard the Fom yesterday say how hard that job really was. I know it has gotten worse at our Barn. Just waiting for that training crew to come back and see how much we have really changed. LOL!

Another Question for you BB,

I was told that, after the layoffs, the way they decided the fos that would go was on current production and future potential with a company. I know at my barn we had an Fos that worked for the company 15 yrs, in city dispatch for many of those years, layed off. Now the other fos hasnt been there a complete year yet and they found him a better keep sake. I have nothing against that fos, but things in the City are terrible. We have an Fom out of Ok trying to tell us how long it should take to get our freight off and he's dispatching some people 20 to 40 miles outta the way. Not only that, I have heard, the dispatcher that was layed off had a lot of loyal customer that shipped with us because of her. Now they are gone. Thats sum future potential.

My question to you sir, is that the way that it really happened? Did the Tms have any say at all in who was to stay and who was to go? I figure our plumb little Tm had it out for that Fos because they didnt bow down to his every command. I heard the Fom yesterday say how hard that job really was. I know it has gotten worse at our Barn. Just waiting for that training crew to come back and see how much we have really changed. LOL!

Well, not personally knowing the people involved, it is hard to comment on the specific situation....I would say that SCMs were given latitude for an opinion on those they wanted to keep...But I know that the leaning is toward individuals that bring more potential to the table, especially to those who are going to run service centers in the future...And, of course, that means giving up someone who will not, and then others are moved to new positions, and there is unrest during the transition..The best thing to do is not let personalities get into the decision making...I may have an FOS I don't particularly like as a person, but if that person gets the job done, I am their largest supporter..SCM has to separate the two...

I was wondering, if money had a play in this? Those who have been in management for longer times, most likely are paid more.....that is the norm....perhaps, the higher paid ones were more vulnerable? or perhaps, they were not viewed as being scm potential and therefore, expendable?
the old, move up, or get out line of thought?

I was wondering, if money had a play in this? Those who have been in management for longer times, most likely are paid more.....that is the norm....perhaps, the higher paid ones were more vulnerable? or perhaps, they were not viewed as being scm potential and therefore, expendable?
the old, move up, or get out line of thought?

The pay disparity at the FOS level is not large, so it had little to do with the final decision...The latter was definitely a bigger factor...It is the same moving up...which SCMs bring potential to the table, RMs, VPs, etc...If we don't have much to offer, why keep us around..??

The pay disparity at the FOS level is not large, so it had little to do with the final decision...The latter was definitely a bigger factor...It is the same moving up...which SCMs bring potential to the table, RMs, VPs, etc...If we don't have much to offer, why keep us around..??

:hide: When I first started as a DSR with Con-Way, my thoughts were that I would move up the food chain.
I am for sure smart enough to move up the ladder.
After watching the way the upper eschelion was treated, and feeling how the P&D Driver was treated, I decided to remain a P&D Driver.
Today, I have my doubts.
I am not an A** kisser!
It seems that the A** kissers run our Company!
Maybe I should have made a difference!
Maybe I did make a difference! I hope so.
I, for one, am glad about my decision, hope you are too.
Box, we are glad to have a human voice on the Boards!
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!!!!! longtimeltl :smilie_132:

:hide: When I first started as a DSR with Con-Way, my thoughts were that I would move up the food chain.
I am for sure smart enough to move up the ladder.
After watching the way the upper eschelion was treated, and feeling how the P&D Driver was treated, I decided to remain a P&D Driver.
Today, I have my doubts.
I am not an A** kisser!
It seems that the A** kissers run our Company!
Maybe I should have made a difference!
Maybe I did make a difference! I hope so.
I, for one, am glad about my decision, hope you are too.
Box, we are glad to have a human voice on the Boards!
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!!!!! longtimeltl :smilie_132:

Don't know many SCMs who are kissers of the derrier...at least in the west, and I cannot speak for the entire country..I think if you polled us as a group, you would find most of us feel we are treated fairly...Only one thing for sure: Each of us makes a difference every day, and when you stop feeling like you do, that's when you ought to consider hanging them up...

Don't know many SCMs who are kissers of the derrier...at least in the west, and I cannot speak for the entire country..I think if you polled us as a group, you would find most of us feel we are treated fairly...Only one thing for sure: Each of us makes a difference every day, and when you stop feeling like you do, that's when you ought to consider hanging them up...

Well, I'm in the west, and I have to half way tell the new FOS and his leadman how to do their job. I have stepped on a few toes, but everytime it was in line, and undisputed. I have been with the company for 5 years and have asked to move up, but because I haven't kissed a** and gave a lot of free time to the company, I am constantly overlooked. I know, at least I have a job. Management doesn't promote from the employees that have been around and can actually contribute, they promote from the guys that have sucked up and know how to kiss the *** of the MAN that is in control. :butt kiss:

I love working for Con-Way, but I feel that I could be used in a better way. I have been to too many service centers and know how they work,and believe that I am not appreciated at all. Maybe I dont know how to kiss a**:hysterical:, or maybe it don't smell right to me. Either way I guess I will always be where I am at because of my attitude towards the booty. I love working for CON-WAY though, for real.....:hysterical:

Well, I'm in the west, and I have to half way tell the new FOS and his leadman how to do their job. I have stepped on a few toes, but everytime it was in line, and undisputed. I have been with the company for 5 years and have asked to move up, but because I haven't kissed a** and gave a lot of free time to the company, I am constantly overlooked. I know, at least I have a job. Management doesn't promote from the employees that have been around and can actually contribute, they promote from the guys that have sucked up and know how to kiss the *** of the MAN that is in control. :butt kiss:

I love working for Con-Way, but I feel that I could be used in a better way. I have been to too many service centers and know how they work,and believe that I am not appreciated at all. Maybe I dont know how to kiss a**:hysterical:, or maybe it don't smell right to me. Either way I guess I will always be where I am at because of my attitude towards the booty. I love working for CON-WAY though, for real.....:hysterical:
Now, why does it not surprise me, that you are constantly overlooked...

Is it just me, or does he seem just a BIT TOO focused on A**?????? That last post mentioned A** just a bit more often than I am comfortable with........

:popcorn:

Then you're not looking hard enough...First, check out the number of FOS, FOM, ASCM and SCM who started here as DSRs...They are everywhere...
Second, have you literally gone and sat down with your SCM to determine your future, your opportunities, map out a strategy to advance, instead of just deciding you are the man, you lead everyone else around, etc...?? That is usually a good starting point...Find out what they are interested in seeing you do...this has very little to do with kissing someone's backside...Make your desires known, sit down and plan to get there...Don't just decide that because you lead an FOS and leadman around you are the one that should be doing the job... My favorite DSRs are the ones that bring me THEIR opinions, not what they think I want to hear...there are plenty of YES men in the world, we don't need anymore..

He probably found out exactly how much of a pay cut he would have to absorb in order to change over to the "dark side" and went screaming into the night......

:holysheep:

"Beware the 'Dark Side' of the force Luke......Beware"

:bowdown: