TForce | The Crap Atlanta Is Pulling

dcups

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone know how the NMFA handles linehaul drivers working the dock? Right now, drivers who drive 400-500 miles and work the ATL hub are being forced to work 5-7 hours on the dock every friday night so that the supervisor and dock people can go home on time and start their weekend. We work our normal trailer and then their entire inbound, forced to work 14 hours while their dock guys work 8.

dcups said:
Does anyone know how the NMFA handles linehaul drivers working the dock? Right now, drivers who drive 400-500 miles and work the ATL hub are being forced to work 5-7 hours on the dock every friday night so that the supervisor and dock people can go home on time and start their weekend. We work our normal trailer and then their entire inbound, forced to work 14 hours while their dock guys work 8.

I don't know about the teamsters,but in most union outfits...in that senario the driver would be taking work away from a dock worker and the dock worker could file a grievance.
Don't quote me on that though,because I don't know the teamsters rules.

Nightliner drivers love the money are you crazy..........400+ miles+3hours on the dock and drop and hooks means lots of money.......

Johnnybegood said:
Nightliner drivers love the money are you crazy..........400+ miles+3hours on the dock and drop and hooks means lots of money.......
We don't need dock workers that carry a cdl. You have seen these drivers after working the dock. All over the road. Its a safety issue. And speaking of issues you seem like a good candidate to ask the ceo of ups why they did not take care of the small issues the employees had rather that let it get to the point where it is now. Maybe you are just a number and whats in it for brown.

dcups said:
All the info you need is at www.nmfalibrary.org/nmfa.htm I work for Roadway and no Linehaul Drivers work the dock. There are Premium Service Drivers at the union companies but Roadway does not use this yet. I know Yellow and ABF do. They work their own trailers and drive.

Line Haul Drivers working the dock????

Did you ever think that the dockworkers are being sent home to keep the company from having to pay any overtime to them.

Remember to look at UPS Freight Management like you would look at a used car salesman.

Their your friend untill they sell you something. Then you would have to show it to them in writting before they make good on all the promises after the sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A linehaul driver may deliver a load enroute to a customer.

A Linehaul driver is paid double time for any "Excessive finger printing" of freight ($43.30 per hour)

Premium Drivers are what UPSF calls Hub Drivers, they will load and unload at a hub terminal that is set up for Premium Driver Service (They are paid more per HR. and CPM than regular linehaul drivers do.)

When a TEAMSTER Linehaul driver finishes his/her tour of duty....THEY GO HOME!......KK

:duh:
BusterNite said:
We don't need dock workers that carry a cdl. You have seen these drivers after working the dock. All over the road. Its a safety issue. And speaking of issues you seem like a good candidate to ask the ceo of ups why they did not take care of the small issues the employees had rather that let it get to the point where it is now. Maybe you are just a number and whats in it for brown.
Tell those drivers who depend on the money on those runs that they are dumb..They just like the money....I've seen many guys who don't work the dock all over the road whats the point...

Johnnybegood said:
:duh: Tell those drivers who depend on the money on those runs that they are dumb..They just like the money....I've seen many guys who don't work the dock all over the road whats the point...
The point is=Hire more dock workers! Drivers should not be allowed on the dock!

Johnnybegood said:
:duh: Tell those drivers who depend on the money on those runs that they are dumb..They just like the money....I've seen many guys who don't work the dock all over the road whats the point...
If you cannot live on $1300-$1500 a week and need that extra 3-4 hrs per night on the dock, You are living beyond your means and need more self control. Sooner or later these hours will catch up with a driver and may be their last run.

Johnnybegood said:

Teamster linehaul drivers get paid for delay time. That includes time waiting for a load to be ready. Instead of working freight at a hub, they are able to compose themselves and rest a little in order to be more alert for a safe ride home.

Johnnybegood said:
So what about those dock workers who depend on that money, but instead, are being sent home?

krash said:
So what about those dock workers who depend on that money, but instead, are being sent home?
Dock guys have a 8 hour per day and 40 hour per week guarantee. I work at a Break Bulk and the only time you see a driver is if he's looking for the restroom or is lost. They come in jump in the truck and drive, that's it. DS.

That is why I would make sure to log every minute I could so that I would run out of hours. I cant do everyone else's job only mine!

Somebody might have statistics to back this up....I don't know....but just from reading these boards if you really pay attention you can see that the drivers who admit that there is alot of freight damage are all from the Companies who use road drivers as dockhands. I've even seen guys brag about how they work the dock at their turn point and then work it some more when they get back to their home terminal. The evidence points to this.....drivers doing dockwork, especially under a very rushed schedule, equals alot of damaged freight. Damaged freight will drive customers away in time.

stldude44 said:
Somebody might have statistics to back this up....I don't know....but just from reading these boards if you really pay attention you can see that the drivers who admit that there is alot of freight damage are all from the Companies who use road drivers as dockhands. I've even seen guys brag about how they work the dock at their turn point and then work it some more when they get back to their home terminal. The evidence points to this.....drivers doing dockwork, especially under a very rushed schedule, equals alot of damaged freight. Damaged freight will drive customers away in time.
Hey stldude....freight damages happen. I've done it, I think everyone has. But after a few years of doing it 5 days a week for 12 years, you learn how to do it without doing too much damage. I think that is the best part of job classifications. Dock guys work the dock. P+D guys run the city and Road Drivers run the freight. The best doing the best. It's not a perfect world, like the company wants.......but the job gets done. DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey stldude....freight damages happen. I've done it, I think everyone has. But after a few years of doing it 5 days a week for 12 years, you learn how to do it without doing too much damage. I think that is the best part of job classifications. Dock guys work the dock. P+D guys run the city and Road Drivers run the freight. The best doing the best. It's not a perfect world, like the company wants.......but the job gets done. DS.
DS,
That was my point. I guess I should've clarified it better. A dockhand is much better at dockwork than a hurried road driver. And that equates to much less damage and happier customers.

Why in the world would you want to work the dock, in addition to your regular duties of driving? Dont we linedrivers have a long enough day as it is!!! Im a Line driver in Las Vegas, and we will be rebidding this week, some of our new bids will require working the dock every night. THANKS, BUT NO THANKS!
In addition on the run that I currently do, we are having to get temp registrations for every trlr running through AZ, adding an additional 1-2 hours to the run...lots of fun, and good luck being paid for it!!!! I used to be Very Pro company, Anti-Union, everybody that has worked with me for the past 8 years knows this, But now... SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!