TForce | The Crap Atlanta Is Pulling

stldude44 said:
DS,
That was my point. I guess I should've clarified it better. A dockhand is much better at dockwork than a hurried road driver. And that equates to much less damage and happier customers.
Point well taken. DS.

U-TURN said:
Why in the world would you want to work the dock, in addition to your regular duties of driving? Dont we linedrivers have a long enough day as it is!!! Im a Line driver in Las Vegas, and we will be rebidding this week, some of our new bids will require working the dock every night. THANKS, BUT NO THANKS!
In addition on the run that I currently do, we are having to get temp registrations for every trlr running through AZ, adding an additional 1-2 hours to the run...lots of fun, and good luck being paid for it!!!! I used to be Very Pro company, Anti-Union, everybody that has worked with me for the past 8 years knows this, But now... SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!
Hey U Turn.......there's nothing wrong with being "Pro Company". I think everyone wants their company to prosper. There is a misconception out there that says that being a Teamster you aren't tied in with the company making a profit and growing. There just needs to be some guidlines on what the company can and cannot do while you are working for them. Every working person should want that. DS.

Docksteward said:
Dock guys have a 8 hour per day and 40 hour per week guarantee. I work at a Break Bulk and the only time you see a driver is if he's looking for the restroom or is lost. They come in jump in the truck and drive, that's it. DS.
Yes sir, Im aware of this. My point was that JBG is unsympathetic to the dockworkers who are being sent home and the drivers who dont wanna work the dock. He apparently feels they should have no rights and is against Unions. Hmmmmmm, sounds an awful lot like management:nutkick:

The whole point about the first post, seems to me, is the linehaul drivers are being forced to work the dock.
The statement says in an effort to get the Friday night people home early .... in other words, the supervisors are doing whatever they feel like to benefit themselves.
Job classifications should mean something, apparently not at that particular terminal.

Johnnybegood said:
Nightliner drivers love the money are you crazy..........400+ miles+3hours on the dock and drop and hooks means lots of money.......
yep I work the dock and make 19.00 an hour, but when my wheels are turning I make around 29.00 an hour. Which do you think i'd rather do ?

at the break that JBG and I hit, they can't get the people they hired for dock only to work more than 8 hours....at the 8 hour mark, they all migrate to the clock and leave

bad habit said:
at the break that JBG and I hit, they can't get the people they hired for dock only to work more than 8 hours....at the 8 hour mark, they all migrate to the clock and leave
Gee, maybe with a contract and overtime they might be a little enticed into staying past the 8 hour mark.
As JBG would say....food for thought.

bad habit said:

If they are needed why does management let them leave?

CFer said:
If they are needed why does management let them leave?
Now I don't work for UPS (Big O )
We get 8hrs a day ,But we have to be able work a extra 2 hrs a day for the company .That of course is unless you don't have the hrs to do so on your log or recap!

bad habit said:

This is a perfect example of why union contracts help the company control their work force.

Management has more control over the workforce becuase it in black and white.

With better wages, overtime after eight, langauge about overtime and work hours that are established in work rules, the workers find it better to stick around, make more money and at the same time the supers have control over when and who can go.

Novel idea, put it in writting.

Guess what workers that don't want to abide by the contract cvan be terminated and replaced with workers that want to work if a decent wage is offered and good bennies.

Why are workers going home?

Poor wages?

Poor bennies?

Bad treatment?

Lack of control by management?

Why stick around and be abused.
Seems like the inmates are running the asilum..............
That's if they can find inmates............to work like monkeys and get peanuts

Come on Teamsters251 thats kind of harsh..

monkeys working for peanutes?

Don't you know that after the UPS rebranding we became the big gray,& brown clowns.

We are not that far away from your Teamsters wages.in hourly,and mileage pay.
Our company could make us happy by paying time,and a half after 8.
Most terminals don't have much overtime to work any way.

They should also pay for delays,as its not the drivers fault they are delayed in the first place.

Maybe if they paid by the hour like their feeder drivers all would be well with that item.

So you see if UPS could just make a few changes we wouldn't even be talking about be organized by any outside group.

Apostolic said:
So you see if UPS could just make a few changes we wouldn't even be talking about be organized by any outside group.
But it can all be changed at UPS's whim if it's not in writing. All business is done by having something in writing. Why not get it in writing so everybody knows how the game is played......don't play a one-sided game......get it in writing.

Apostolic said:
monkeys working for peanutes?

Don't you know that after the UPS rebranding we became the big gray,& brown clowns.

We are not that far away from your Teamsters wages.in hourly,and mileage pay.
Our company could make us happy by paying time,and a half after 8.
Most terminals don't have much overtime to work any way.

They should also pay for delays,as its not the drivers fault they are delayed in the first place.

Maybe if they paid by the hour like their feeder drivers all would be well with that item.

Apo, I tell ya what If I was pounding the patio for 14 an hour and after eight they wanted me to stay and make the same I'd leave too.

The problem was bought up by one of your own, not me.

It's plain to see what he was saying, read his post.
I never called anyone a monkey, I used an analogy.

Apostolic,
We feeder drivers also have "mileage" runs. And yall's pay isnt close. Plus, we get more for doubles. I would also like to point out that the Union and a contract is about more than just wages. You know this.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was with Big O in South Holland, Il (after Union Pacific purchased them) and drivers were required to work the dock. It was a big failure and did not last too long; damage, tired drivers, etc... This concept must work very well on paper but management seems to have a short memory. Good luck to you guys at UPS Freight! I'm happy at Big R but Big O run by Harwood Cochran was the best job I had in trucking. I miss those days.

dcups said:
Does anyone know how the NMFA handles linehaul drivers working the dock? Right now, drivers who drive 400-500 miles and work the ATL hub are being forced to work 5-7 hours on the dock every friday night so that the supervisor and dock people can go home on time and start their weekend. We work our normal trailer and then their entire inbound, forced to work 14 hours while their dock guys work 8.
What does the NMFA have to do with anything? Even if by some remote chance that UPSFREIGHT goes 50%+1 and the IBT is ya'lls reps.. you are in now way whatsoever guaranteed to be governed by the NMFA. There will be a neeeegotiation.. this could take years.... and I will almost guarantee that there will be enough drivers left in the other "50%-1" left to get the job done... how do I know this? because they covered it last time.

PINBALL said:
What does the NMFA have to do with anything? Even if by some remote chance that UPSFREIGHT goes 50%+1 and the IBT is ya'lls reps.. you are in now way whatsoever guaranteed to be governed by the NMFA. There will be a neeeegotiation.. this could take years.... and I will almost guarantee that there will be enough drivers left in the other "50%-1" left to get the job done... how do I know this? because they covered it last time.
PB,
You could be mistaken about this. UPS knows it can operate and have a Teamster workforce too. They have a great track record at this with more than 200,000 Teamsters. The difference this time is that the workforce isn't up against the most blatantly anti-Union Labor Law breakers in American history. UPS would probably just like to get this settled one way or the other and get on with business.

Teamster251 said:
Guess what workers that don't want to abide by the contract can be terminated and replaced with workers that want to work if a decent wage is offered and good bennies.

How often is there a successful termination of a piece of sh*t employee in any unionized workplace?

That is one of the problems I have with the union. Even if the company takes all the right steps to fire someone that needs to be fired,most (if not all) get their job back...and most of the time with back pay.

One recent example of the bullsh*t unions pull....An ABF buddy of mine(driver) was in Chicago a few weeks ago and was told he would be waiting a while(which he did get paid clock time)due to a work slow down.
Apparently two jockies were racing in the yard,and one of them wrecked and hit something(I forget what he hit).He was fired(as he should be)....but the union work force was taking it out on the company for the termination.

Seems to me,during the slow down...they weren't doing what they were being paid to do...and also should be penalized...but not with the union on their side.
I never heard how the jockey made out,but you can guess my opinion on that.

I wouldn't have such a problem with the union if they didn't push the envelope so far...its one thing to fight for workers rights and pay....but the worker has to be worth his/her pay and do the job they are paid to do.

krash said:
Apostolic,
We feeder drivers also have "mileage" runs. And yall's pay isnt close. Plus, we get more for doubles. I would also like to point out that the Union and a contract is about more than just wages. You know this.

I think he meant the NMFA when he said our pay is close,since we are only half a cent per mile and around .50 less per hour than the freight agreement.

Anyone with a brain knows we won't get your kind of money(parcel) to haul freight.

His reference to hourly may be...I heard under parcel,trips of 500 miles or less are paid hourly instead of by the mile....I personaly think that would be a big loss of money...unless your in major conjestion all day long.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
How often is there a successful termination of a piece of sh*t employee in any unionized workplace?

That is one of the problems I have with the union. Even if the company takes all the right steps to fire someone that needs to be fired,most (if not all) get their job back...and most of the time with back pay.

One recent example of the bullsh*t unions pull....An ABF buddy of mine(driver) was in Chicago a few weeks ago and was told he would be waiting a while(which he did get paid clock time)due to a work slow down.
Apparently two jockies were racing in the yard,and one of them wrecked and hit something(I forget what he hit).He was fired(as he should be)....but the union work force was taking it out on the company for the termination.

Seems to me,during the slow down...they weren't doing what they were being paid to do...and also should be penalized...but not with the union on their side.
I never heard how the jockey made out,but you can guess my opinion on that.

I wouldn't have such a problem with the union if they didn't push the envelope so far...its one thing to fight for workers rights and pay....but the worker has to be worth his/her pay and do the job they are paid to do.

So you get in a "framed" scenario with UPSF and the company decides to fire your butt and you disagree with the termination; are you going to take it lying down there Glad to Be???
If you had some sort of representation you may be able to show the panel you were not at fault for whatever is was you were fired for.
Our are you going to take it lying down, and just wimper off cause after all, you are a non union employee and feel the need to not stand up for yourself..............

What the heck is it that makes you guys so scared of the Teamsters?? 1.4 million feel they have a good life and security from having union respresentation, and a small faction of you new employees to the UPS system feel you have it too good now not to better yourselves............

I just dont get it................:duh: