XPO | The Driver Shortages Continue

Good article, thx. I still think the industry hasn't come near to the sweet spot that it will take to attract and maintain Drivers. It's a dangerous job that requires a large portion of your life sacrificed with little to no respect from the public and employers. When the industry gets serious and finally gives real gains it will see this turn around. No one wants to pay what it takes , not the employers or the shippers. When the economy locks because of it we mat see some changes but drivers need to demand different and right now there are too many weak people out there that are not not willing to stand up for themselves .

We can agree that the situation now is not substainable. Unless the industry is still willing to drop its driver standards even lowe( if that's possible)

Dredging the bottom as we are now will lead to the hire of more bottom feeders. My fear for us and the industry is will lead to even more disrespect from management/ hence lower compensation, and for the most part that's where we're at now. People that have lower expectations from a company. I hate to put it in such terms and I do not mean anything derogatory about the term, before someone jumps on me for that.

Dredging the bottom as we are now will lead to the hire of more bottom feeders. My fear for us and the industry is will lead to even more disrespect from management/ hence lower compensation, and for the most part that's where we're at now. People that have lower expectations from a company. I hate to put it in such terms and I do not mean anything derogatory about the term, before someone jumps on me for that.
All carriers are doing this bottom feeder thing because wages still aren’t high enough. TL is finally raising wages but still can’t retain. That’s because wages are only part of the problem. Respect and quality of life are overlooked by leadership and not treated as valuable. Until that is also addressed turnover will continue to be high

It’s North American wide. The only way it will change is for shippers and carriers to jack driver wages and rates. Which will put both economies in a minor recession imo. Consumers will see prices spike, and it’s too bad. But companies have kept wages so low and stagnant over the years, there needs to be a spike.

It’s North American wide. The only way it will change is for shippers and carriers to jack driver wages and rates. Which will put both economies in a minor recession imo. Consumers will see prices spike, and it’s too bad. But companies have kept wages so low and stagnant over the years, there needs to be a spike.
All too true. If you look , shippers and carriers have been raising rates for last few years ( but , additional money has not been making it to drivers pockets )

Up north , you see my posts - I point to this repeatedly - pay , benefits , work environment , healthcare ... All of these need to improve to attract ( and retain ) enough people to fill the seats that are empty and will be empty soon.

With cameras , it NEEDS to be addressed on a national law level ( International for you in Canada ) - How long is the data of you kept and who has access to that data of you? What is this data of you allowed to be used for?

Right now ANYONE could have and do anything with data ( video and location ) of you and manipulate it out of context with little you could do.

I doubt it would lead to a recession do to the fact their a bunch of profit still in goods made overseas that's going to the top. Also there's a lot a lot of profit being skimmed at the top in trucking companies that could be more evenly distributed among the workers. No the top is not going to like it.

Driver facing cams are a respect issue to me

Not just respect issue, it’s a question of whether the company is going to sell you out in the case of an accident, unless it is clear beyond doubt that it’s the other vehicle at fault. If they can nitpick your actions and hang you out to dry to eliminate liability, you’re sunk. With a forward facing camera and the telemetry that comes off the ECM there is more than enough data in a crash. Driver facing cameras are not our friends.

It's bad for the consumer , but it will be fun to watch these companies BEGGING for drivers. I am a lot closer to being done than I have been. So it will be a side show for me in another 10 Years.
They are already begging for drivers. What some fun put a resume online and watch you phone light up and when you answer just give them a list of demands and see where it goes.