XPO | The Driver Shortages Continue

We were told the same but we still have some coming in from XHG. The sub service from other locations were rolling in either to late in the day or not till the next. Service is the worst I have ever seen and damages and shorts in particular are at an all time high. It seems no one knows how to fix it and they lack the initiative to try. Mean time customers are constantly saying what happen to your service it wasn't this way with Con-way. Are we still a premium carrier ? Do investors see this or do they only see the numbers presented ? If they don't see it how long till they catch on ?

I have heard us referred to as worse than most carriers. With one of the upsides being that we are always so late getting out that we are often last to get pick ups. So they know they can count on us for all the last minute garbage at the end of the day that no one else wants.

How much longer until they just stop with the LTL and go to being a dedicated carrier for the XPO big accounts like Amazon ?

It's a simple task to just ignore the idiots. Maybe not simple, but eventually they'll go away.

You are kinda new here. There are users that have been insisting that they are 60+ years old and days from retirement for over 10 years now. Just saying. To count on people going away isn't the best strategy.

And we are all idiots. Go back and re-read some of your past posts or some of the threads you participated in. You'll not be able to escape it. You, me and all of us. Idiots. No doubt about it.

You are kinda new here. There are users that have been insisting that they are 60+ years old and days from retirement for over 10 years now. Just saying. To count on people going away isn't the best strategy.

And we are all idiots. Go back and re-read some of your past posts or some of the threads you participated in. You'll not be able to escape it. You, me and all of us. Idiots. No doubt about it.

Maybe there's a better term than idiot? When I think of it, I'll let you know. In my simple mind, they go away as soon as they ridicule anyone or anything.

Maybe there's a better term than idiot? When I think of it, I'll let you know. In my simple mind, they go away as soon as they ridicule anyone or anything.

Maybe. You could come up with some nonsense a millennial would be proud of. Something completely homogenized and sterilized. At which point. How do you even claim the thought as your own ? Your voice just another expression that is already expressed. How original are my posts ? Do you really think I am clever ? Read through some threads from years ago. It's the same stuff. And I am not the only one who has said it. Eventually, everyone takes sides. Once position is declared. Things revert to kindergarten. The earliest programmed behaviors from this societal simulation. Everything is standardized. We all read the same books, learn the same lessons and listen to the same music and watch the same movies and so on.

There are sheep and there are wolves. People like to think that the two are different. But the two are the same. One lives close in the open. The other at distance in the shadows. They are both tended by the shepherd. Without his influence. The sheep could not survive. The wolves would starve. He keeps them alive until he is ready. And then, when the time comes, they both take their respective turns and die at the hand of the shepherd.

I see in xlf they did away with esl. Xco now comes to xlf on what they call super singles one driver 622 rond trip turned trucks up to 70 mph I am told. Are they canceling esl everywhere. Xco and xlf both canceled esl. Xco now sends 3 or 4 drivers to xlf super single some xlfto xco

I see in xlf they did away with esl. Xco now comes to xlf on what they call super singles one driver 622 rond trip turned trucks up to 70 mph I am told. Are they canceling esl everywhere. Xco and xlf both canceled esl. Xco now sends 3 or 4 drivers to xlf super single some xlfto xco

They have been pruning ESL run throughout the system. Super solo when possible. Otherwise. It's two day freight now. Seems they don't want to spend two drivers for one run.

We saw a huge reduction in sub service and a major increase in road runs only to see CRST and England pop up again and our runs diminish again.

Z6B5qUj.jpg

Central Transport is offering $10,000 for drivers. Why not just pay guys more in the first place?

Z6B5qUj.jpg

Central Transport is offering $10,000 for drivers. Why not just pay guys more in the first place?
Simple ,one time sign-on bonus is what it is "one time" payment ,as opposed to wage increases that raises your income over the life of your career. This is newer to the LTL sector but has been going on for years in the OTR sector.
It's another way of keeping long term wages suppressed.

Last I knew they are. Central is making more per hour then were are
Maybe they make more an hour than XPO does but as this ad shows they are looking for drivers.

When I say pay more it means do not offer a bonus with all kinds of strings attached that a person may not get , ( a lot of drivers have worked with over-the-road companies and have seen all of these tricks before ) - pay real wages with OT after 40 and after 8. Offer great healthcare with good options and low copays. Offer above average retirement and a fair working environment.

Last that I heard Central Transport has awful insurance. Spotty pay practices ( charging drivers for broken handhelds and such ) and horribly maintain their equipment.

If they do pay more than XPO maybe they have to , to get drivers. And judging by the ad , the higher pay ain't working.

Simple ,one time sign-on bonus is what it is "one time" payment ,as opposed to wage increases that raises your income over the life of your career. This is newer to the LTL sector but has been going on for years in the OTR sector.
It's another way of keeping long term wages suppressed.
Stop at their terminal and ask how long it takes to actually get that 10 grand. I have yet to see anyone from xpo,or others go to Central.

The Trouble With Trucking

If the industry raised wages, it’s clear that employers would find a larger labor pool. Instead, lobbyists for the industry are pushing the Trump administration to lower the minimum age for commercial driver’s licenses to 18 from 21. The administration seems receptive: Last month, the Department of Transportation announced that it wanted to move ahead on a pilot project that would allow 18-year-olds with the military equivalent of a commercial driver’s license to haul freight across state lines.

These are dangerous ideas. Lowering the age requirement could make roads less safe: Studies have consistently shown that teenagers are much more likely to be involved in fatal and other accidents. It makes little sense, then, to encourage younger people to get behind the wheel of a big rig weighing more than 33,000 pounds.

Imagine, however, that the government instead decided to use its prodding power to improve the lives and incomes of truck drivers. Officials could, for example, do more to crack down on companies that misclassify employees as contractors to avoid paying for expenses and guaranteeing a minimum wage. The government also ought to require that trucking companies and freight customers compensate drivers for every hour of work, including the hours spent picking up and dropping off loads. What’s more, Congress could pass a law making clear that regardless of how the industry pays drivers — whether on a per-hour or a per-mile basis — drivers are entitled to earn minimum wage and overtime for all of the hours they put in.

- By the New York Times Editorial Board

If the industry raised wages, it’s clear that employers would find a larger labor pool. Instead, lobbyists for the industry are pushing the Trump administration to lower the minimum age for commercial driver’s licenses to 18 from 21. The administration seems receptive: Last month, the Department of Transportation announced that it wanted to move ahead on a pilot project that would allow 18-year-olds with the military equivalent of a commercial driver’s license to haul freight across state lines.

These are dangerous ideas. Lowering the age requirement could make roads less safe: Studies have consistently shown that teenagers are much more likely to be involved in fatal and other accidents. It makes little sense, then, to encourage younger people to get behind the wheel of a big rig weighing more than 33,000 pounds.

Imagine, however, that the government instead decided to use its prodding power to improve the lives and incomes of truck drivers. Officials could, for example, do more to crack down on companies that misclassify employees as contractors to avoid paying for expenses and guaranteeing a minimum wage. The government also ought to require that trucking companies and freight customers compensate drivers for every hour of work, including the hours spent picking up and dropping off loads. What’s more, Congress could pass a law making clear that regardless of how the industry pays drivers — whether on a per-hour or a per-mile basis — drivers are entitled to earn minimum wage and overtime for all of the hours they put in.

Another example in the leading paragraph of how these companies will do anything to avoid raising compensation to employees.
Also couldn't help but notice the mention of companies that misclassfy drivers, trying to remember what company got caught in that scheme....hmmmm

Congress needs to revoke the loop hole that allows them to steal overtime. OT after 8 country wide. Everyone should be writing, calling or e-mailing anybody they can find to make it known that this needs done. I still haven't found anyone that cares or will listen to this subject. If you guys find an ear, make it known.

Congress needs to revoke the loop hole that allows them to steal overtime. OT after 8 country wide. Everyone should be writing, calling or e-mailing anybody they can find to make it known that this needs done. I still haven't found anyone that cares or will listen to this subject. If you guys find an ear, make it known.

Here's a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_Democracy_Act