ODFL | The DVD

sparky

TB Regular
Credits
I Received the Earl C DVD and enjoyed listening to it. I met Earl ten years ago and it is good to know that he is still in pretty good shape. He is truly a good man. Also he put in one little piece of a possible direction that I was not aware of that OD might go.
As much criticism as we get from others on this board this DVD bolsters me. Yes us linehaul drivers work for less than many others in the LTL end of the trucking business but we still make a substantial amount more than our closest type of job title in this corporation P&D drivers. We work for a publicly owned corporation that makes a profit that is much larger than most of our closest competitors. (yes this is due to a large part to us being paid less) OD is a publicly held corporation there balance sheet, insider trading and much more is regulated by the SEC and is viewable by everyone including its employees. OD is largely held by insiders (the Congdon family) who have a vested interest in the corporation. (Todays investors look for corporations such as this to invest in) This helps us with job security and the drivers with the most seniority may benefit from this the most if it ever comes to that.
Of course the test would be if the economy ever bottomed out or if there is ever a big disruption in the structure of the Congdon family or both. I think as long as there are big profits the insiders will hold on to there share of the corporation. OD would probably demand a lot of money to be bought out. Another possibility is if the corporation was inherited by multiple family members and there were conflicts in the direction of the corporation. There are directions that OD could go in that I also do not foresee.
Overall though I think we are in a more secure position than many LTL trucking companies and my hopes are that David has much of the same pride in his family legacy as Earl does.

Hey Sparky, for what it's worth........I live just a few miles from OD's HQ. They have a good looking place there, right off of 29/70. They do alot of advertising on local TV and do some public outreach programs locally. We have a couple of ex OD guys working at RDWY now, one used to be a supervisor. They don't have anything bad to say about the company. I do know the growth at OD the past 5 or 6 years has been very big. Just my 2 cents. DS.

They were passing them out with our paychecks the day after employee appreciation day. It is mostly Earl reminiscing old times but he does suggest that he would like to see OD get into the truckload road business.
If you can not get one I will try to find one. Already gave my copy away.

Mine was attached to my paycheck 2 weeks ago. Im sure there are plenty floating around, someone will let you have one of theirs

Rattlesnake said:
You think maybe one day your blood will run Purple?

Would not say it is not possible but with ODs books at the present time the big purple monster better have a fat checkbook.

Rattlesnake said:
You know they do. The Purple Monster does not buy unsuccessful companies.

Yes but if you have a house that is presently going rapidly up in value and you are not sure how much it will be worth in a few years and you are pulling huge profits from it to. How can you justify selling it for its present value and if you were a buyer would you risk paying much more than present value for said house when you are not really sure that house will ever reach the value of the price you paid.

Maybe AF was growing in value but at a slower rate I doubt it had the record growth and profit rate of OD at the present. Watkins seemed to have reached its peak from what I understand its regional business plan had not worked well. If the economy keeps up at its present rate and OD keeps up with its present business plan I would think that another 500 million or more of revenue a year is foreseeable in the near future. With the present consolidation of the LTL freight business and OD being a major player in this they stand to be one of the few majors left when the dust settles.

Of course I would have to put in a disclaimer something like I can not be absolutely sure of the future of the economy and a list of other possible factors personally it would be my hope that if OD sold it would not be to big purple. I do not think they need another LTL division and was surprised that they did not merge Watkins into Freight. I certainly would not want to end up towards the end of a seniority list at a barn where there are 100s of drivers.

sparky said:
Yes but if you have a house that is presently going rapidly up in value and you are not sure how much it will be worth in a few years and you are pulling huge profits from it to. How can you justify selling it for its present value and if you were a buyer would you risk paying much more than present value for said house when you are not really sure that house will ever reach the value of the price you paid.

Maybe AF was growing in value but at a slower rate I doubt it had the record growth and profit rate of OD at the present. Watkins seemed to have reached its peak from what I understand its regional business plan had not worked well. If the economy keeps up at its present rate and OD keeps up with its present business plan I would think that another 500 million or more of revenue a year is foreseeable in the near future. With the present consolidation of the LTL freight business and OD being a major player in this they stand to be one of the few majors left when the dust settles.

Of course I would have to put in a disclaimer something like I can not be absolutely sure of the future of the economy and a list of other possible factors personally it would be my hope that if OD sold it would not be to big purple. I do not think they need another LTL division and was surprised that they did not merge Watkins into Freight. I certainly would not want to end up towards the end of a seniority list at a barn where there are 100s of drivers.
Good post and I would just make a comment that AF was growing at a phenominal rate. The profit was not high because it was all being re-invested into the comapny, but I would bet the growth rate was probably an industry record. And I do believe OD will sell sooner than later.

Rattlesnake said:
Good post and I would just make a comment that AF was growing at a phenominal rate. The profit was not high because it was all being re-invested into the comapny, but I would bet the growth rate was probably an industry record. And I do believe OD will sell sooner than later.

Yeah it came as a surprise to me when AF sold. Was it a publicly held company where its books are regulated by the securities and exchange commission.

ODFL: Summary for OLD DOMINION FREIG - Yahoo! Finance

Did the buyout concern the stock holders and if so who held the majority of the stock

% Held by Institutions: 67.40%

ODFL: Major Holders for OLD DOMINION FREIG - Yahoo! Finance

I think a buyout of OD would have to go to a proxy vote of the shareholders and the buyer would have to offer the shareholders a profit per share.

Alright, how does this sound?? FedEx Southern! I could see UPS going after OD if they ever get their stuff together more than anyone else at the moment.

BillyLo said:
Alright, how does this sound?? FedEx Southern! I could see UPS going after OD if they ever get their stuff together more than anyone else at the moment.
I would hope that UPS does not buy OD to if they merged us in to UPS freight once again we would be at the end of a seniority list at a huge barn.
I think UPS might try to go it with what they have now they are probably confident that they can sell their service with what they have. I do not think that if OD sold it would be a surprise it could not be done with secret negotiations where rumors came out since they are a publicly held corporation.

sparky said:
Yeah it came as a surprise to me when AF sold. Was it a publicly held company where its books are regulated by the securities and exchange commission.

ODFL: Summary for OLD DOMINION FREIG - Yahoo! Finance

Did the buyout concern the stock holders and if so who held the majority of the stock

% Held by Institutions: 67.40%

ODFL: Major Holders for OLD DOMINION FREIG - Yahoo! Finance

I think a buyout of OD would have to go to a proxy vote of the shareholders and the buyer would have to offer the shareholders a profit per share.

I am not a whiz at stock market info but...AF was publicly traded. It was listed on NASDAQ...The Majority of the stock was held by the Garrison family of Harrison ,Arkansas, who were the founders of the company. We had been buying stock for 6 t0 8 dollars per share and FedEx paid around 32.00 dollars per share if my memory serves me correctly without referencing back. So the deal went through pretty easy. American Freightways was always under-valued. We were adding so much new equipment and buying/building new facilities like crazy.
Does OD have a family or group of people who hold the majority of the stock?

Read

Safe to say family members,management,and friends make up a controlling amount.If you're shareholder next time you get the ballot for the board of directors election read all the paperwork that comes with it.It accounts for every share and who owns it.With all T's crossed and all I's dotted.

sparky said:
Yes I think the original family still owns the controlling majority of stock.
Well then, here's my opinion....There's only one word to describe OD...RIPE

If the family has dreams of doing something different in life, while at the same time, preserving the futures of their employees and employee's families, they can sell and everyone wins in the long run.