ABF | the fat tire

Trucking Green

Driving my life away ....
Credits
Last night one of them big-fat-tires peel off a big truck o/o it was the trailers tire has any one seen one of them things go, it was crazy that tire came out from under the trailer and then went way up as it fell off the roadway it looked like a 55gal drum. Man i would hate to hit that tire, i hope abf don't go to them tires and does any one know if these tires are recaps or what ? I was thinking if they put one of them on the dolly if a tire goes you could lose a set that is scary. how are they on ice?:TR10driving03:

Most LTL trucking companies have always run caps on their trailers.
You can also run them on the drives of the tractor
But the steer tires always have to be new.
I even think its a DOT Law about running caps on the front.

I myself had a left rear out side dual,blow out.
I was on our expressway going south bound down a long hill,when it let go.
It took off my mudflap and it blew a hole in my trailer floor.
The cap rubber,and the mud flap flew over the roof of a car that was passing me in the hammer lane.
Thank God there was no damage to the car,and this driver didn't run off the road.

I continued on down the road and took the next exit to a tire shop.
This 4 wheeler followed me to the shop,and told me how shook up he was.
I told him I was very thankful nothing bad happened.

He agreed with me,then drove off on his merry way.

In all of my 44 years driving truck,I've only had three low-outs,and this was the worst.
Its been about 10,or 15 years ago.
So now its so far so good,I think the caps they are making now days are much better than they used to be.

Last night one of them big-fat-tires peel off a big truck o/o it was the trailers tire has any one seen one of them things go, it was crazy that tire came out from under the trailer and then went way up as it fell off the roadway it looked like a 55gal drum. Man i would hate to hit that tire, i hope abf don't go to them tires and does any one know if these tires are recaps or what ? I was thinking if they put one of them on the dolly if a tire goes you could lose a set that is scary. how are they on ice?:TR10driving03:

Did the complete tire come off ?

I my case it was all of the tread.
The sidewall was still on the rim.
But when the tread blew it took the whole top of the tire off all the way around.
The two other times I had blow outs it was the side walls,and the tread stayed on.
Either way recaps don't seem to give you any warning?
When I pre-triped everything looked fine,but out on my route they all let go.

Looking at only three in 44 years isn't really that bad.
Its just that when a tire blows out the rubber can go a long ways when it parts company with the rest of the tire.
I really thank God that there never was any damage to anyother vehicle around me.

steering tires can also be re-treads. no DOT language.

Just no re-grooved tires allowed on front axles of a truck or tractor. But I don't think I would want retread or re-groove on a steer axle.

It's funny, I was always told not to put recaps on steer axles. (Worked at the TA as a Tire man) Maybe it was a insurance rule.

steering tires can also be re-treads. no DOT language.

If I'm not mistaken,the only commercial vehickles that can run recaps on the steering is dump trucks. ( Real smart , right!?! ) Yet another rule made by folks that don't know the industry and doesn't affect them directly.

Drive safe

cc