SAIA | the good news and the bad

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
Well, the good news is that the company wants to run pups so they bought a bunch of single axle tractors and started to retire the tandems. The bad news is there was not enough pups to load so the treminals kept loading heavy 53's and griping because of the late departures due to drivers returning to the dock to have the overages removed.
The good news is that the new pups have arrived and you would think that the issues with heavy 53's was over. The bad news is there is a shortage of , no an outage of gears, and the shop hasn't released all of the new pups. Not only are we back to the heavy 53's but if they did load a set for you, there is a chance that you would have had to wait for a gear and some of those drivers waited a couple of hours.
The good news is, well, I'm out of good news. In the meantime, be sure and lock your gear to your tractor or you might get gearjacked.

I'm guessing the leaders in charge didn't buy any new gears to go with the new pups. Then the equipment gets outta balance, then the vans are loaded, then.....yada yada yada

Odd how some nights atl has plenty or pups and dollies, yet other nights you have to hope and pray there are some if you show up with a van.

When I first started running l/h as a city driver I loved the crank gears. Then I got a few that were grease monsters, so now I avoid them like the flu. I like the newest dollies we got, the 102's, or the longer grey ones. There is a NSH driver that makes sure he either gets a crank or a square back b/c they don't have a spare on them. He had a gear with a spare one night and it cost him an extra hour b/c the guy forgot to bring the tool to lower the spare. Being short on dollies works if everyone runs pup for pup, but as long as we still load vans, and pull mty vans it won't work.

I like the greys because of the quick air release valve and the no oil hubs. I like the reds next and then I would take a crank before using one of those 1010XX black ones. For some reason I just don't trust the fifth wheel on those.

I like the greys because of the quick air release valve and the no oil hubs. I like the reds next and then I would take a crank before using one of those 1010XX black ones. For some reason I just don't trust the fifth wheel on those.

Just wish they'd put all rubber hoses on all of them. Instead of the cheap plastic ones..Lost a good gear due to cheap plastic last night.Had to get one of those 101 black ones. Talk about nervous..

Going back to rubber hoses on the tractors, and gears would be a good thing, I have had the plastic ones come unhooked due to the spring action. Having a air line come undone can be big fun, and a good way to lose your job, when you wind up in the ditch.

Been there, done that. I lost the lead red line on the dolly and left the prettiest set of skid marks on the road, although I did stop rather quickly.

I pulled one of the new trailers last night. They don't all have the sideskirts like the one in the picture does. The bulk flip pacard is a nice touch, but the thing I liked the best about them is they do not have a nose pole on the front. Those as the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. I just love when BENT is written on it, and yet some idiot decided to try and drop it.

I found that the easiest way to deal with a dropped bent nose pole is to take one of those yellow portable nose poles and use the base to whack the trailer pole back up. The trick is too handle the portable with one hand while trying to keep the trailer pole from falling back down. You can take out a lot of frustration with the pole whacking game.

I pulled one of the new trailers last night. They don't all have the sideskirts like the one in the picture does. The bulk flip pacard is a nice touch, but the thing I liked the best about them is they do not have a nose pole on the front. Those as the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. I just love when BENT is written on it, and yet some idiot decided to try and drop it.
You actually got to pull a trailer? We've been spending most of our time waiting for gears. For free of course.

You actually got to pull a trailer? We've been spending most of our time waiting for gears. For free of course.

It was that situation last night. Guys were having to five their gears to other drivers, and of course I pulled a van down. As luck would have it they were loading me a van, but then decided to strip it to pups. Instead of waiting for someone to come in I wrote down a few numbers from units on the deadline and checked them out. There was one that was in service and I couldn't find anything wrong with. Think this is going to be a trend?

It was that situation last night. Guys were having to five their gears to other drivers, and of course I pulled a van down. As luck would have it they were loading me a van, but then decided to strip it to pups. Instead of waiting for someone to come in I wrote down a few numbers from units on the deadline and checked them out. There was one that was in service and I couldn't find anything wrong with. Think this is going to be a trend?

Might need to get used to it unless a miracle happens

That's an old trick ! Some drivers will hide gear (and Tractors ) in the dead line , to keep other drivers from getting them ! I'd bet it happens at most large terminals !

That's an old trick ! Some drivers will hide gear (and Tractors ) in the dead line , to keep other drivers from getting them ! I'd bet it happens at most large terminals !

Yeah it happens more than it should. Too bad most of the guys don't care where they're at..They'll pull em'