ODFL | The Green Axe has fallen...

Backup

Follow Jim Bob's advice and seek other good advice. Do your best to gather information and have facts but keep out of the terminal level politics. Always remember the open door policy but go in the door prepared.
Thanks for the backup Beeman.But I wish you hadn't used that term "terminal level politics" in front of these young O.D. employees,I have been trying to shield them from this.When they ask me why this or that happened or why so and so did this I always say he's a ****head,just forget about it.The intricate workings of day to day ground level politics in the freight business is an amazing thing to behold.The who did who and the policies,rules,regulations,and laws that are stepped on,stretched,and adjusted to fit on a daily basis is just unreal.It's thru out the business,not just one company.I've worked for 6 trucking companies.When you get to the guts of things,they're all the same.So many things are done just to make a terminal shine,some within reason ,some beyond reason.Sometimes its hard to remember we are in the freight business.The concept started so simple,moving a customer's freight from one location to another.Now it's Dallas,Bonanza,Sanford and Son,Desperate Housewifes,and The Sopranos rolled into one.

I've lost track of our number of terminals, but they each operate like they are an entity upon themselves. Many TM's try and make themselves look good at their employees or their terminals expense, it takes time but usually comes back to bite them. Many times it feels like I'm a truckload driver by the way I get treated at our terminals, even my own at times. I laughed the other day, I told them the officers at the scalehouse that gave me a weight ticket treated me better than my own dispatcher.

All of this is inversely proportional to the volume of business. When business is booming the BS is thinner. When it's slow the best place to be is on the road or at the house, not at the terminal.

wear the blinders do your job the best you can and try not to ask a whole bunch of questions,unless you have learned how the answers may benefit.if you ask read between the lines in the answer and always remember they have a boss too.

i bite my tongue knowing it will not change things,but do hope they know they are screwing up sometimes

wear the blinders do your job the best you can and try not to ask a whole bunch of questions,unless you have learned how the answers may benefit.if you ask read between the lines in the answer and always remember they have a boss too.

Also know that almost every action is really a reaction usually their interpretation of a memo from above.

I BET YOU WON'T SEE THAT ON T.V.! Maybe the canned food should go to the drivers. After all,charity begins at home...btw...I talked to another driver that was recently let go, and he said in the past when times got slow, they would start at the bottom of the senioirty list and give everyone a day off, all the way to the top and then start over. I would shurely have done that instead of seeing people let go. I volunteered quite a few days off when other drivers said "no way". It's that kind of selfish attitude that causes others to get hurt. Hope they can live with themselves...

well this is how they are dealing with this in spl. no one works past 60.my ops mngr said that when i come in @2am tonite make sure that i am done by 7:30. its better than the axe

I'm a little confused about the letting go of drivers. P&D drivers and linehaul are the type of job where if there's work you work and if there's no work you stay home. I don't understand the actual firing or laying off of the drivers. Are you being laid off with the idea that you will collect unemployment until they need you back?

As someone mentioned rotating through the seniority list, that sounds like a good idea for a low man but not great if you have seniority.

:1036316054: Shoudn't everyone share in the bad as well as the good?:duh: BTW, our TM wouldn't let us go over 60,either. I was lucky to get 8-10 a day.

I have some questions.
1 Why should 1 shift guys get close to 60 and a 2nd guy get fired. I know there more senior but here is the thing. I know drivers at the GBO term that complane that they get so little hours but still 50+ each week. Yet they drive vets or brand new Dodges or the like. I asked to be kept on with 30 hours just to pay the bills and my insurance. However I feel they had there mind set on getting rid of me and 3 others.
2 I even offered to go line haul and I would have gladly waited on the board and when I could get out I would stay out. Noooo not that either.

The funny thing is they had 3 people in the office when they let us go. Wonder if they thought we were going to go crazy. 2 they let go are prior military. Just wondering.

come on guys your missing the big picture little Timmy Mac needs his big bonus to pay for his girlfriend, you dont to go back up the VP ladder do you. it takes a while for those bed sores to heal

I Don't

come on guys your missing the big picture little Timmy Mac needs his big bonus to pay for his girlfriend, you dont to go back up the VP ladder do you. it takes a while for those bed sores to heal

You know who I am but I don't believe I know you.Why don't you send me a p/m and introduce yourself.

lay offs

Got word the other day that there were more layoffs of city drivers in MFS and DAL.6 in one and 5 in the other.These layoffs are a very bad situation for the workers as well as the company.They were predicting a 25% growth this year and only grew 11% so since the growth numbers don't reflect with the freight volume ratio there has too be cuts made.Everyone on here has seen all the other company's threads about their lack of work and layoffs,so its not just OD with slow freight problems,its everyones problem.This is not the end neither,according to some analyst the freight tonage volume prediction for the whole industry is going to be slow at least until the end of january.

jimmy bob your not going to tell timmy bob on me and get me fried too are you I'm not in the good o'l boy club at gbo

this morning my dispatcher was flipping out because five of us cant work a full day.we all linehauled on sat which is encouraged because pups sit all weekend.im sure that my dispatcher is going to get en earful of crap because customers arent getting there stuff picked up or delivered,sort of a catch 22 situation.