TForce | The Holy Grail aka copy of the Indy contract

It will be interesting to see what happens when a non-union road driver goes to a union terminal. Will they be told to go sit in the break room, while the union members do all his old work (drop and hooks and or dock work) since he will have no standing to work at the terminal. They are not part of the bargaining group. This will be very interesting.

I was gonna just ignore this, but I am bored.

Where do you get a union worker gets the work first? And wouldn't the nonunion worker still get his delay pay while he sits?

Don't you work under the rules of your terminal?

Where do you get a union worker gets the work first? And wouldn't the nonunion worker still get his delay pay while he sits?

I have delivered to many union facility's. As a non union driver I was not even allowed out of the truck. Union employee's were the people that unloaded my truck. That was many years ago.

The contract only covers the bargaining unit members. If you are not in the unit, it would not cover you. The company may pay that $13 per hour delay pay, but they would not get any rights under the contract. Drop and hooks may be considered part of the bargaining units work, since it is done inside the union terminal. Another interesting question. When I worked at a union carrier, they had a yard guy do all the drop and hooks and the road guy didn't touch a thing.

So that person would just be a nonunion employee. Again where do you get he can't work in a union termnal?
If his route is a hub run that is part of his job.
so we as road driver may not be getting paid for the drop and hooks at all then, not even for the time, If they had a yard guy. I have been saying that all along.

And buster was that when you worked for the same company as the union employees? It would make sense then.

so we as road driver may not be getting paid for the drop and hooks at all then, not even for the time, If they had a yard guy. I have been saying that all along.

And buster was that when you worked for the same company as the union employees? It would make sense then.

No, I was a flat bed driver and brought full loads to union job sites. I had to wait in the truck until union employees unloaded it even though I had a crane on the trailer. They unloaded the trailer with their own equipment.

It is an interesting question. One thing I am sure of is a non -union terminal employee will have no rights under a union terminals contract. The work rules will be dealt with at a higher level than the employees themselves. I am sure that UPS and the Teamsters have talked about this, maybe we could find out how they deal with this at Indy? I would say the long term solution is a national contract, but that will not happen anytime soon.

What I have heard from a dispatcher is you work under the rules of your home terminal whether it is union or not.

Buster I agree with that situation. But our situation is we still work for the same employer.

What I have heard from a dispatcher is you work under the rules of your home terminal whether it is union or not.

Buster I agree with that situation. But our situation is we still work for the same employer.

Yes, different situation. I have not heard anything on this particular subject. I'm sure that the non union employee would work under the company's non union rules. Up here in New England we won't see this to often as all of New England and some within turning radius are all represented.

Here is a for instance. In New England we have eight barns. Seven signed cards, one barn, BUR did not. The seven barns were going to go to the negotiations table regardless if BUR signed or not. If the talks had started, and agreements to some of the suppliments had been reached, BUR would have to accept these bylaws without petition because of their lack of interest at the time of the ongoing negotiations. Bottom line here is if you snooze, you loose. Fortunatly, BUR is on board now and is a memeber in good standing. I'd tell JAX to get on board or get what everyone else has decided for them!!!

Big 10-4.......................................

Yes that is true, to an extent, if the recieving terminal is union, and they have a yard man, you are taking work from that man if you drop , place and hook. That is his job, so to an extent you are right, you will be loosing money. If the recieving terminal does not have a yard man, I am not sure how it would pan out.

If you are union, and there is a yard man I am not sure how this will pan out, but I am sure you would not be taking work away from anyone "under the contract" it is part of your job description anyway.

We will have to find out considering there is from time too time a linehaul contractor ripping through here.

sure is, it protects the bid and why should I hostile after I have driven 530 miles....if I wanted to hostile I would go local and bid the job, hostle and go home.

sure is, it protects the bid and why should I hostile after I have driven 530 miles....if I wanted to hostile I would go local and bid the job, hostle and go home.

What I mean is, some terminals the hostler position is open, it's no ones particular position, in overnites case he would not loose money in our terminal.

the one your talking about.

you know where the non-union road driver will sit at the union terminal. Under that one.