The i Pad

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

As I suggested I might do on another thread I'm firing up a line on the i Pad. I bought my first Apple product last week primarily for use in my small airplane. It seems that they are eliminating necessary paper documents due the electronic revolution and the diminishing demand. Soooo I had to join this revolution (hey, sometimes if you can't beat 'em you have to join 'em). Until this point I have been using nothing but what used to be known as IBM platform or PC, which is now known as Windows. So far I'm pretty happy with everything but the price I had to pay for this thing. I got the mini with retina display as it was recommended by all on an aviation site I peruse. And i Pad is the winner for having the best software programs for flying.

So far I am impressed with the lightening speeds at which this thing operates. I found an app from the weather channel, which makes my weather a snap for here and my playgrounds for when I intend to get away. I have figured out how to move the icons around a little but they're still not in the order I want them it. So I'm still working on that. Any tricks you have learned about this thing would be appreciated and I will ask for help when I need it.

Airplane.

Apple iPad Mini with Retina display.

Forum moderator.

You gonna put me in your will?

Airplane.

Apple iPad Mini with Retina display.

Forum moderator.

You gonna put me in your will?
I'm good with that, fair trade. Even if I'm the losing end I'm so mean and nasty I'm going to outlive you anyhow.

I try to get good honest information and you all make a mockery of it. :crybaby: :crybaby: :ranting2:

WAIT...Don't cry yet. I need some information now that I know someone with an IPad. What can it do that a Android can't do?
First you'll need someone who knows what the i Pad will do, second you need that same person to know what the Andriod will do. Only thing I know is that i Pad has much better software for flying d plane.

First you'll need someone who knows what the i Pad will do, second you need that same person to know what the Andriod will do. Only thing I know is that i Pad has much better software for flying d plane.

WELL! I ain't never.

LOL so far I have figured out how to find and download apps and what they'll cost. I just figured out how to rearrange my icons. I think it's fast but never ran an Android unit.

Do you have an instrument rating?

I do but haven't flown IFR (well landed anyhow) in a couple of years and I'm way out of proficiency.

So when you do go up to try out the new iThingy you'll have to wait for the weather to settle down then. Flying VFR is like riding a motorcycle. You gotta wait on Mother Nature to give you a nice day.

So when you do go up to try out the new iThingy you'll have to wait for the weather to settle down then. Flying VFR is like riding a motorcycle. You gotta wait on Mother Nature to give you a nice day.
Sort of, I am comfortable departing and flying through instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) I just would not land in them right now. Otherwise you are right. But we have plenty of VFR opportunities here and owning the bird has its advantages. Like I don't need to plan ahead for a rental and count on it being back when I want it. I can check the weather, look up at the sky and go for a ride. In the meantime I get to learn how to use this thing before I need it. The program really does a lot, it has VFR sectionals (entire US and it's seamless), IFR low altitude charts (high altitude charts too but I won't be needing them) along with an airport facilities directory (AFD) and even the FAR/AIM's (just found the FAR/AIM's last night). The ease of obtaining all of this is just unbelievable. Push on the airport and it gives a drop down menu of everything about that apt. like weather, com channels, runway information etc. all at lightening speeds.

Sort of, I am comfortable departing and flying through instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) I just would not land in them right now. Otherwise you are right. But we have plenty of VFR opportunities here and owning the bird has its advantages. Like I don't need to plan ahead for a rental and count on it being back when I want it. I can check the weather, look up at the sky and go for a ride. In the meantime I get to learn how to use this thing before I need it. The program really does a lot, it has VFR sectionals (entire US and it's seamless), IFR low altitude charts (high altitude charts too but I won't be needing them) along with an airport facilities directory (AFD) and even the FAR/AIM's (just found the FAR/AIM's last night). The ease of obtaining all of this is just unbelievable. Push on the airport and it gives a drop down menu of everything about that apt. like weather, com channels, runway information etc. all at lightening speeds.

Here's one airport that probably not on your charts.

https://maps.google.com/maps?t=m&ll...3809,19.028573452127013&output=classic&dg=opt

I've lost my touch. I'll have to find another way.
Aaa yes, two of my favorite quotes come into play:
1) Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill.
2) If at first you don't succeed try a different angle.