Yellow | The IBT & YRCW MOU On New Pilot Programs November 2018

Please explain your math, your 84 hour statement makes no sense?
Here is the link

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers Guide to HOS 2015_508.pdf

Example:

If you follow the 70-hour/8-day limit and work 14 hours per day for 5 days in a row,

you will have been on duty for 70 hours. You would not be able drive again until you drop below

70 hours worked in an 8-day period. However, if your company allows you to use the 34-hour

restart provision, you would have driving time available immediately after 34 consecutive hours

off duty. You would then begin a new period of 8 consecutive days and have 70 hours available.

5 * 14 hours is 70. After a 34 hour reset you have 14 hours left for work. 168 hours in a week. -70 worked – 50 sleeping -34 reset leaves 14 hours available. And I believe the 30 minute breaks are included in the 14 hour window each day. Hope this helps. Von.

I don't know anybody that would work like this. But, the hours are available if you choose to work them.

Please explain your math, your 84 hour statement makes no sense?
Maybe this will explain it.
If you start say at 0100 Monday, and work 14 hours a day thru Friday, you would have 70 hours in by 1500 Friday. Then be off from 1500 Friday, until 0100 Sunday, which would be your 34 off, you could come back in and work 14 on Sunday, thus 84 hours in a 7 day period.

If say you work M-F, 12 hours each day, which is 60. Then came in Saturday and work another 10, you have your 70 for the week. If say you start at 0800 on Monday, you would have to be off by 2200 on Saturday night to have your 34 hour rest by Monday’s regular start time.
Why work more hours? Why not tell them enough with the dam MOU’s and restore the pay. They will get people applying at full wage.

Why work more hours? Why not tell them enough with the dam MOU’s and restore the pay. They will get people applying at full wage.
I agree. But in my opinion, to get back to where most say the competition is at wage wise, and give back the 15 percent over like 5 years, annual raises would have to be somewhere around $1.00 an hour, per year, every year for 5. And even with that much raise, you would be behind the others in pay at the end.

Here is the link

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers Guide to HOS 2015_508.pdf

Example:

If you follow the 70-hour/8-day limit and work 14 hours per day for 5 days in a row,

you will have been on duty for 70 hours. You would not be able drive again until you drop below

70 hours worked in an 8-day period. However, if your company allows you to use the 34-hour

restart provision, you would have driving time available immediately after 34 consecutive hours

off duty. You would then begin a new period of 8 consecutive days and have 70 hours available.

5 * 14 hours is 70. After a 34 hour reset you have 14 hours left for work. 168 hours in a week. -70 worked – 50 sleeping -34 reset leaves 14 hours available. And I believe the 30 minute breaks are included in the 14 hour window each day. Hope this helps. Von.

I don't know anybody that would work like this. But, the hours are available if you choose to work them.

Wong said he was willing, only if the trucks were turned up to 70.
BTW, could he still run his weekend trip with BRG?

So basically casual employees get an 8 dollar raise and we get nothing, think about that a minute.Why would the international agree to this ::shit::!! I know this is on a teial basis,but it will be in contract,yeah I'm pissed and I think we all should be.

You then would be out of hours Thursday? Aren’t you required to protect your bid?
The original question & my response was ONLY about the DOT hours of service. Nothing to do about the union rules. I retired 01-01-16 and during the previous 18 years the union work rules never allowed our city people to work past 60 hours during our week. The city was on 60-7. The road was on 70-8. I believe these rules are still in effect. Our stewards & the hall policed this very well.

Under DOT work rules you can work 168 hours a week if you could. The HOS ONLY comes in to effect when you start DRIVING a CMV. As a road driver you reach 70 hours in 8 days when you arrive @ your home terminal. You now can work on the dock for the next 12 hours & NOT be in violation of the HOS. In most union barns you would not be allowed to do that. That is a violation of the work rules. But, those 12 count against your ability to drive. You have to take time off to catch up your hours so you can drive a CMV. I used to start cutting grass around 10 am or noon for some of my customers (including my terminal for 5 years). My DOT clock hours started @ 10 am or noon when I started cutting grass, not my 3:30 pm bid time. If I had to work late I might have to leave before my shift ended. Then I would have a problem not protecting my bid. I made sure that never happened. Cutting grass on the side leaves you with no medical coverage. Not a smart choice to risk your bread & butter. Come to think of it, @ the 14th hour from 10am I would have to stop driving, But, I could still work the dock & not be in violation of the DOT HOS. von.

Last edited:
So basically casual employees get an 8 dollar raise and we get nothing, think about that a minute.Why would the international agree to this :::shit:::!! I know this is on a teial basis,but it will be in contract,yeah I'm pissed and I think we all should be.

Vote it down in the named ‘pilot’ areas and be done with it.

So basically casual employees get an 8 dollar raise and we get nothing, think about that a minute.Why would the international agree to this :::shit:::!! I know this is on a teial basis,but it will be in contract,yeah I'm pissed and I think we all should be.
I really don't think you are going to see this program outside of high density urban areas, and even then only if there are many high income earners in the area. People are overestimating in their minds the value of this compared to the typical class A p&d. The bobtails provide much less floor space with a lower door hight. Driving forklifts into them it's usually out of the question.

It’s really simple- every local union has the ability to approve of this MOU or to tell the company “no, we don’t approve”. If the local says “no”, they can’t do any of this crap. If you’re in an area where they want to try this call your local and demand they stand up to the company and the IBT, and just say “no”.

I really don't think you are going to see this program outside of high density urban areas, and even then only if there are many high income earners in the area. People are overestimating in their minds the value of this compared to the typical class A p&d. The bobtails provide much less floor space with a lower door hight. Driving forklifts into them it's usually out of the question.

I just got a photo of these new non-CDL delivery vehicles they want to try...
f7537000-361f-4a18-84fd-c09391f3cee8_1.6136cd4a5b8759955eb71f54d7200e9f.jpeg