Yellow | The IBT & YRCW MOU On New Pilot Programs November 2018

You partially answered your own question. Paying 2 people to do 1 job.
The hours of service have nothing to do with say a road guy hooking his own. He would punch in, get his assignment of equipment and hook it and be gone faster than most yard people. 1 person paid.
The competition does everything, from hooks, to fueling, dock, switching, with 1 person. Same guy could do any task to keep freight and equipment moving. Utility employees basically.
Like Albag has stated numerous times;
Antiquated, or anti productive work rules.
As an example.I always have wondered why on holidays especially, yrc will pay shuttle drivers, triple time moving trls to and from the rails, and you don’t see any of the competitors on the road, who are moving as much or more freight.
I agree I could do the hooking, fueling, switching (not sure about the dock) faster than the yard guy and it would only cost the company one person paid. But I would have to do it on duty. When I'm on delay waiting to dispatch I can log this off duty because (according to our safety department) I have not been assigned a vehicle, I have no duties to perform, and I'm free to leave the yard on personal business (dispatch can call me on my phone).

I agree I could do the hooking, fueling, switching (not sure about the dock) faster than the yard guy and it would only cost the company one person paid. But I would have to do it on duty. When I'm on delay waiting to dispatch I can log this off duty because (according to our safety department) I have not been assigned a vehicle, I have no duties to perform, and I'm free to leave the yard on personal business (dispatch can call me on my phone).
Are your being paid for your delay time for waiting?

I’d suggest, and it just a suggestion, that you all stop finding ways to put your fellow Teamster out of work. You all know management and other “news” outlets monitor this page. How about in regards to anything contract we all at least act untied in that we can agree we want back what the company got last time.

I’d suggest, and it just a suggestion, that you all stop finding ways to put your fellow Teamster out of work. You all know management and other “news” outlets monitor this page. How about in regards to anything contract we all at least act untied in that we can agree we want back what the company got last time.

I’m not sensing, “...finding ways to put (my) fellow Teamster out of work.”

The opposite, finding ways to help each other survive in a highly competitive industry, seems to be the goal.

I can max out my hours performing a variety of tasks across many classifications, while not doing redundant work assignments that others could be performing. We are just too short handed.

BTW, my favorite bumper sticker, “Dyslexics of the world, ‘UNTIE.’ “

Are your being paid for your delay time for waiting?
Yes sir I am. And the DOT regulations say nothing about paid time having to be logged on duty.
Question 10: How does compensation relate to on-duty time?

Guidance: The fact that a driver is paid for a period of time does not always establish that the driver was on-duty for the purposes of part 395 during that period of time. A driver may be relieved of duty under certain conditions and still be paid.

Last edited:
Yes sir I am. And the DOT regulations say nothing about paid time having to be logged on duty; or if it does could someone please share the exact information because I would dearly love to put it to the company!
All I am saying is if you reported for your start time, start getting paid, it has started your 14 clock. The regulations do state the company can relieve you of duty, but any paid time whether for say a side job, or even waiting in readiness for the motor carrier, will count against your 14. Some believe they don’t have to count these relieved of duty hours on the 14, but just get in any kind of accident, your fault or not, the lawyers will find out your paid, on duty, and total hours in service that day, and if it puts you over the 14 from your start time, well, you probably know who will get dragged into court.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers%20Guide%20to%20HOS%202015_508.pd
I think page 10 explains it pretty well.
Cover your ass out there, because the company will not.

All I am saying is if you reported for your start time, start getting paid, it has started your 14 clock. The regulations do state the company can relieve you of duty, but any paid time whether for say a side job, or even waiting in readiness for the motor carrier, will count against your 14. Some believe they don’t have to count these relieved of duty hours on the 14, but just get in any kind of accident, your fault or not, the lawyers will find out your paid, on duty, and total hours in service that day, and if it puts you over the 14 from your start time, well, you probably know who will get dragged into court.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers%20Guide%20to%20HOS%202015_508.pd
I think page 10 explains it pretty well.
Cover your ass out there, because the company will not.
Sorry, my mistake. We have so many employees who swear on holy bibles (the whole stack plus a few more stacks) that if the company is paying you, then you must be on duty. No exception! I am so used to hearing that argument I jumped to a wrong conclusion. Sorry.

Sorry, my mistake. We have so many employees who swear on holy bibles (the whole stack plus a few more stacks) that if the company is paying you, then you must be on duty. No exception! I am so used to hearing that argument I jumped to a wrong conclusion. Sorry.
My belief on this has always been that if I am being paid,I am on duty,or driving. This way I don’t have to worry about calculating on duty,off duty,or the 14 hour total,and not have worry about being out on the road driving without legal hours.

When i close my car door im now on duty

My belief on this has always been that if I am being paid,I am on duty,or driving. This way I don’t have to worry about calculating on duty,off duty,or the 14 hour total,and not have worry about being out on the road driving without legal hours.
That has pretty much been my belief too. But I got another one of those "registered letters" from the company last week for "failure to follow DOT guidelines" ie I ran out of hours, I am now familiarizing myself with that book you posted the link to (thanks and I downloaded it last week) and the Q and A on the FMCSA website.......
Question 20: How must a driver record time spent on-call awaiting dispatch?

Guidance:

The time that a driver is free from obligations to the employer and is able to use that time to secure appropriate rest may be recorded as off-duty time. The fact that a driver must also be available to receive a call in the event the driver is needed at work, even under the threat of discipline for non-availability, does not by itself impair the ability of the driver to use this time for rest.

If the employer generally requires its drivers to be available for call after a mandatory rest period which complies with the regulatory requirement, the time spent standing by for a work-related call, following the required off-duty period, may be properly recorded as off-duty time

While I agree with what you say, this is a very loosely interpreted rule. While you may be free and have access to leave your home terminal, are you really free to leave some of the VIA terminals you may hit that are in the middle of nowhere and miles from anything that may be open? When I get to my home terminal I will log in for 15 mins to start my 14 hrs then log out (at my home terminal my vehicle is there and I have the means to leave and have done so before). When I reach my VIA points I log all time on duty (unless I take my 30 min break at the terminal and then I go right back on duty) since I actually have nowhere I need to go or have access to get there....

That has pretty much been my belief too. But I got another one of those "registered letters" from the company last week for "failure to follow DOT guidelines" ie I ran out of hours, I am now familiarizing myself with that book you posted the link to (thanks and I downloaded it last week) and the Q and A on the FMCSA website.......
Question 20: How must a driver record time spent on-call awaiting dispatch?

Guidance:

The time that a driver is free from obligations to the employer and is able to use that time to secure appropriate rest may be recorded as off-duty time. The fact that a driver must also be available to receive a call in the event the driver is needed at work, even under the threat of discipline for non-availability, does not by itself impair the ability of the driver to use this time for rest.

If the employer generally requires its drivers to be available for call after a mandatory rest period which complies with the regulatory requirement, the time spent standing by for a work-related call, following the required off-duty period, may be properly recorded as off-duty time
I am thinking it goes back to what I referred to. Nothing in the rules about if you are being paid. I don’t know the DOT can mandate that. As far as I am concerned, if paid time, log it on duty. Save yourself the headache... Like I said. You may find yourself all by yourself in an accident situation if hours of service come into play. The person behind the window is not driving the truck.

Last edited:
I am thinking it goes back to what I referred to. Nothing in the rules about if you are being paid. I don’t know the DOT can mandate that. As far as I am concerned, if paid time, log it on duty. Save yourself the headache... Like I said. You may find yourself all by yourself in an accident situation if hours of service come into play. The person behind the window is not driving the truck.
My employer pays whatever the electronic log shows. All miles on the log come from the truck computer and is paid Driving- and all time logged On Duty (inspections, breakdowns, fueling, loading, waiting for whatever reason)is paid hourly. Plus if sitting in a storm for hours and hours, our Dispatch authorizes us to be paid Top Line Paid as if on the clock. Plus I get perform per night away from home. I have no idea how your YRC guys are paid with your logs.

Back to the start of this thread. My question, is why now? YRC and the IBT are just a month from the start of negotiations for the End of this 5 year MOU and to throw out another MOU that lasts for 2 months, is a mess. Like I said, why now? The IBT leadership, supposedly said, WE are not going to give anything to the company. This should have been discussed in negotiations and not 4 months in advance of the end of this fiasco. Our leadership should have used this for the benefit of negotiations and not go along with the company by dangling a carrot out in front of our noses. This will only support those greedy individuals for a short period of time, then BANG, stopped. They are just kicking us in the NU#$!!!! AGAIN! Enough is Enough and we need to stand united to get what the membership wants. I hope when the time comes, EVERYBODY makes their voice heard and VOTES. I truly hope that the head of negotiations for the Union does what he says and don't give in. The YRC union members, have spoken loud and clear!!

My confidence is very low that our freight chairman gets any kind of deal that people feel is even close to reasonable. I feel it’ll be a sub par deal with a wonderful sales job by the IBT.

If your being compensated your on Duty.