Yellow | The IBT & YRCW MOU On New Pilot Programs November 2018

While the hours issue is important and the fact they came out with this prior to contract time with the International’s support is significant, what is really telling and something I would like for people to think about is the Non-CDL provision along with the announcement of the new logistics division.

From an outside perspective looking back in since I left over a year ago, I have a different perspective to this. There is a changing trend over all in ground transportation that many of us more traditional and I dare say old timers fail to recognize. I state clearly that this trend is not in any right the better way of things, but it is a trend that is coming regardless.

Many talk about automated vehicles both in heavy transport as well in transportation of the human nature such as Rideshare. Yes eventually this will be realized, but it is still a ways off, and many factors need to be considered even then.

For heavy transportation the real target would be long haul where we currently have the hardest time meeting demand with the shortage of drivers. Local is an entirely different animal and would be much more difficult to achieve for all the factors that we as veteran drivers know.

This being said, the new model that is trending under the radar for many is what I will label for better or worse the Amazon/Uber/Messenger model. For local work this is key with the inability to attract qualified CDL drivers and potential drivers to enter into the market at CDL status. Many in the younger generation for reasons that very are not seeking to be CDL holders, while at the same time still performing many of the same operations that traditionally done by CDL holders.

This is most noted in some of these sectors- air freight companies for years have operated vehicles that fall under air brake and gross vehicle weight requirements that require CDL qualifications. Messanger services since the 90’s have increased the number of contractors that provide similar St.Truck service as traditional companies. With the explosion of what is labeled the gig economy and advent of Amazon, the FINAL mile market is the fastest growing sector currently. Sure those of us that have done LTL P&D have always been that final mile sector, but when companies such as Schneider are attempting to crack into it, take notice.

Guys I want to clearly state this post is not to demean the Union or anything of that sort. It’s an analytic analysts that many will instantly attack and I get that. But gentleman I hate to say it the Unions are not as attractive to all. The changing demographics of many factors in ground transportation and in general the way people have come to view traditional work is in flux right now. I am not saying it’s for the better because I truly do not think that it is!

While the hours issue is important and the fact they came out with this prior to contract time with the International’s support is significant, what is really telling and something I would like for people to think about is the Non-CDL provision along with the announcement of the new logistics division.

From an outside perspective looking back in since I left over a year ago, I have a different perspective to this. There is a changing trend over all in ground transportation that many of us more traditional and I dare say old timers fail to recognize. I state clearly that this trend is not in any right the better way of things, but it is a trend that is coming regardless.

Many talk about automated vehicles both in heavy transport as well in transportation of the human nature such as Rideshare. Yes eventually this will be realized, but it is still a ways off, and many factors need to be considered even then.

For heavy transportation the real target would be long haul where we currently have the hardest time meeting demand with the shortage of drivers. Local is an entirely different animal and would be much more difficult to achieve for all the factors that we as veteran drivers know.

This being said, the new model that is trending under the radar for many is what I will label for better or worse the Amazon/Uber/Messenger model. For local work this is key with the inability to attract qualified CDL drivers and potential drivers to enter into the market at CDL status. Many in the younger generation for reasons that very are not seeking to be CDL holders, while at the same time still performing many of the same operations that traditionally done by CDL holders.

This is most noted in some of these sectors- air freight companies for years have operated vehicles that fall under air brake and gross vehicle weight requirements that require CDL qualifications. Messanger services since the 90’s have increased the number of contractors that provide similar St.Truck service as traditional companies. With the explosion of what is labeled the gig economy and advent of Amazon, the FINAL mile market is the fastest growing sector currently. Sure those of us that have done LTL P&D have always been that final mile sector, but when companies such as Schneider are attempting to crack into it, take notice.

Guys I want to clearly state this post is not to demean the Union or anything of that sort. It’s an analytic analysts that many will instantly attack and I get that. But gentleman I hate to say it the Unions are not as attractive to all. The changing demographics of many factors in ground transportation and in general the way people have come to view traditional work is in flux right now. I am not saying it’s for the better because I truly do not think that it is!
I agree with your post. Change is inevitable and Amazon has changed everything. Final mile is going to be a fast growing sector of the ltl market. I don’t have a problem with a program that would allow non cdl drivers to run straight trucks and work their way to a cdl. Many are scared of change and don’t clearly think things through.

To stay competitive in today’s market you have to have flexibility. Traditional companies such as YRC/HMES that only focuses on a narrow market over all with strict guidelines as far as labor is concerned are behind the eight ball in today’s market.

When you look at it there will always be the need for the CDL qualified driver in heavy ground transport as we all know, but with the advent of things like Amazon Flex, Uber Freight, growth in Hot Shot/Messanger; the local P&D work can be accomplished by much smaller equipment and by contractors that do not require all the traditional overhead that companies incure.

Now as I have said not to berate the Unions because I believe this will effect the entire industry Union and non alike. The difference is that non’s have more flexibility to this end. The freight still needs to be moved and there is no shortage of available workforce out there willing to do it. The problem is the CDL qualifiers.

The model for this was the explosion of the Rideshare industry. Many in that industry are transitioning to delivery of one form or another and I am not only speaking of food delivery.

Amazon now offers those willing to take the risk financing to start up fleets of vans. They offer Amazon Flex where drivers do blocks of time, but still allows these drivers to drive U/L when blocks are not available.. again not saying it’s the best, but it is a model or blueprint that is progressing. This along with Uber freight or google drive that targets heavy transportation in the O/O market. What it does is consolidate brokerage and makes automation mesh at a much more efficient rate that also eliminates the majority of overhead expenses.

Again not saying that it’s right, but it is the wave that is progressing and immigrants and those who can not qualify for the more traditional CDL requirements in all honesty as a Ukrainian owner operator passenger I drove not to long ago said to me, “ do you know what the biggest problem you Americans have? You have become complacent and are not Hungry enough”

To that extent he is correct we have become complacent and are not hungry enough. Look at the largest growth in heavy transport alone and you will notice Eastern Europeans and immigrants from other nations highly increasing. You have to understand while you and I view things much differently when it comes to things that are more traditional in our views, those coming here are hungry and are willing to do what has destroyed this company and Unions in general.

They will work for a lesser rate but in their view still do great because it was better than what they came from, even with Unions back in their home country. I get it well we just have to convince them that Unions are better, but that is a big mountain to climb guys and honestly most of them as well as those working non Unions now want nothing to do with the Unions, heck many like myself want nothing to do with the Big corporations like YRC- Holland - XPO any longer.. there is your mountain to climb!

So when you combine he need to move freight, the restrictions the Unions hold on companies, the changing demographics of labor, the changing demographics of the industry as a whole they key provision even though it’s a Pilot now is the non CDL part not the hours.

Guys three months ago doing uber part time I drove a YRC logistics executive to the airport and he and I discussed much of this so I am not blowing smoke.. boy the 50 min convo we had once I found out what he did and the fact I told him I drove for Holland for close to 20 years before leaving.. I did promise him I would not share much of that conversation and I will honor that, but the winds of change are coming let’s just say that.

To stay competitive in today’s market you have to have flexibility. Traditional companies such as YRC/HMES that only focuses on a narrow market over all with strict guidelines as far as labor is concerned are behind the eight ball in today’s market.

When you look at it there will always be the need for the CDL qualified driver in heavy ground transport as we all know, but with the advent of things like Amazon Flex, Uber Freight, growth in Hot Shot/Messanger; the local P&D work can be accomplished by much smaller equipment and by contractors that do not require all the traditional overhead that companies incure.

Now as I have said not to berate the Unions because I believe this will effect the entire industry Union and non alike. The difference is that non’s have more flexibility to this end. The freight still needs to be moved and there is no shortage of available workforce out there willing to do it. The problem is the CDL qualifiers.

The model for this was the explosion of the Rideshare industry. Many in that industry are transitioning to delivery of one form or another and I am not only speaking of food delivery.

Amazon now offers those willing to take the risk financing to start up fleets of vans. They offer Amazon Flex where drivers do blocks of time, but still allows these drivers to drive U/L when blocks are not available.. again not saying it’s the best, but it is a model or blueprint that is progressing. This along with Uber freight or google drive that targets heavy transportation in the O/O market. What it does is consolidate brokerage and makes automation mesh at a much more efficient rate that also eliminates the majority of overhead expenses.

Again not saying that it’s right, but it is the wave that is progressing and immigrants and those who can not qualify for the more traditional CDL requirements in all honesty as a Ukrainian owner operator passenger I drove not to long ago said to me, “ do you know what the biggest problem you Americans have? You have become complacent and are not Hungry enough”

To that extent he is correct we have become complacent and are not hungry enough. Look at the largest growth in heavy transport alone and you will notice Eastern Europeans and immigrants from other nations highly increasing. You have to understand while you and I view things much differently when it comes to things that are more traditional in our views, those coming here are hungry and are willing to do what has destroyed this company and Unions in general.

They will work for a lesser rate but in their view still do great because it was better than what they came from, even with Unions back in their home country. I get it well we just have to convince them that Unions are better, but that is a big mountain to climb guys and honestly most of them as well as those working non Unions now want nothing to do with the Unions, heck many like myself want nothing to do with the Big corporations like YRC- Holland - XPO any longer.. there is your mountain to climb!

So when you combine he need to move freight, the restrictions the Unions hold on companies, the changing demographics of labor, the changing demographics of the industry as a whole they key provision even though it’s a Pilot now is the non CDL part not the hours.

Guys three months ago doing uber part time I drove a YRC logistics executive to the airport and he and I discussed much of this so I am not blowing smoke.. boy the 50 min convo we had once I found out what he did and the fact I told him I drove for Holland for close to 20 years before leaving.. I did promise him I would not share much of that conversation and I will honor that, but the winds of change are coming let’s just say that.
Change needs to happen because ,it's not working the way it is now .........................

Guy’s I Made mention the changing nature of the trucking industry.

I am going to post this article because it is a good an informative piece just how the changing nature of things are shifting. For now this is full truck load and Owner Operators. The part about taking on CH Robinson and their market share is a goal. Once again the family of YRCW gets a lot of freight through CH Robinson. With the new company HRNY this is the direction forward that YRC is experimenting with to survive. Currently the antiquated system of operations employed by YRC and the entire portfolio is sliding backwards in regards to dispatch, utilization of equipment, properties, and outdated technology.

For instance my ELD log is entirely run through an app on my phone for free. Dispatch is done the same way.

18-Wheelers At App Speed: An $800M Startup Is Trying To Pull An Uber On The Trucking Business

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...to-pull-an-uber-on-the-trucking-business/amp/

“Since trucking was deregulated in the 1980s, some 18,000 freight brokerages have sprung up; the largest player, publicly traded C.H. Robinson, has less than 3% of the market. The potential for technology to streamline this work explains why digital freight brokerage is irresistible to venture capitalists.

Which means, of course, that Transfix faces competition, not just from Robinson but from newcomers like Convoy and Uber Freight. “This is one of the industries that venture loves,” says Ben Narasin, a venture partner at NEA, who personally invested in Transfix’s seed round. “I’m always surprised when I see any industry this big and antiquated.”