The issue of older drivers causing crashes has been in the news lately.

i had seen that video, in the story. the trucker was 74 years old. may have been healthy as a horse, who knows, i would still say after a certain age, we all start slowing down in our reflexes and even our eyesight diminishes.

yes, we can wear eyeglasses. yes we can do daily or nightly exercising to stay fit. yes we can eat foods that don't allow us to gain weight or make us tired.

yes, we can get better sleep.

but the thing is, we are all getting older. i think a "cut off age" should be implemented for CDL drivers, of at least 66 years of age.

here in my state, "ordinary" car drivers after (i think) 80(??) must be road tested, or at the very least renew thier licenses every 1 to 2 years.

for a DOT physical, one can pass at the age of (say) 70, and NOT be in need of another DOT physical in 2 years.

we are piloting a massive vehicle, with massive weights, like the one in the story.

although my CDL driving days are all but over, i'd still would have taken myself off the road at 62. and that is ONLY because, i wish to NO longer work as a CDL driver, past that age.

with the severity of accidents that elders driving either big rigs, or cars, or even motorcycle, there really should be cut off ages for each motorized vehicle class. a few weeks ago here in MASS, a 65 (at least if not more) motorcyclist was killed in a crash. i think had he been younger, he would have found evasion action to at least survive.

a healthy 70 year old cannot say that all are healthy as him, and no one has the right to take away his CDL or other license. yet it seems everyone forgets, that any driving........IS A PRIVILEGE........NOT A RIGHT TO DRIVE.

now, here comes all the responses from OLDER CDL drivers, saying that they can still drive, like a 25 year old.....and are in perfect health.

I had just turned 63 in the Spring of 2008 when I retired from trucking.
However I had no plans to go then except I had a jackknife in the winter.
The wreck was ruled non-chargable weather related,but it really soured me on winter driving.
So I put in my paper work & hung up my keys to never need a CDL ever again.
Thing is though,if I had not had that crash I may have kept working a lot longer.
But here I am with no regrets,glad I retired when I did.

As for this issue of older drivers,with the DOT physical required every 2 years the results should be the deciding factor.
Not older drivers being disqualified just because of age if they are fit to drive & still have the desire,I don't agree with any cutoff age.

I had just turned 63 in the Spring of 2008 when I retired from trucking.
However I had no plans to go then except I had a jackknife in the winter.
The wreck was ruled non-chargable weather related,but it really soured me on winter driving.
So I put in my paper work & hung up my keys to never need a CDL ever again.
Thing is though,if I had not had that crash I may have kept working a lot longer.
But here I am with no regrets,glad I retired when I did.

As for this issue of older drivers,with the DOT physical required every 2 years the results should be the deciding factor.
Not older drivers being disqualified just because of age if they are fit to drive & still have the desire,I don't agree with any cutoff age.
well ok, i will stand by my "cut-off" age. someone could just as easily "pay for" a clean DOT exam. at least, before the new DOT standards(??) came out, making DOT examiners more accountable, and many doctors now are not on the list of examiners. but the chances of "paying off", are still there, especially if a doctor signed up to be on the list.

many jobs have "cut off points". i believe police can only be on the job 25 years..??

airplane pilots MUST retire as well at a predetermined age..???

i see no rhyme nor reason why a trucker cannot be "forced" to retire at XX age, no mater the physical condition...again, it goes to "reflexes and response times"...it's just a given fact, the older we get, the slower we get in both.

i hope to see a "mandatory age retirement, and CDL surrendering" in the future.

as i'd like to see a mandatory age hiring, and to me, that SHOULD BE at least 25 yrs of age. none of this crap, hire them at 18 and drive intrastate...BS....25 for ALL driving.....(of CDL and even some trucks that are non-CDL required)

Big Dave I'm 72 years old,however my favorite soda is Mountain Dew.
My wife & doctors advise against it,but I still do drink it whenever I take my wife out to dinner.

Its a fact we all are going to die,if doing the dew does me in, well then I guess its my own fault.